November 17, 2017, 10:17:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on Roush Racing: Driver X  (Read 6534 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 02, 2005, 03:16:30 PM »

We recorded this show on Monday and watched it last night.  I was pleasantly surprised this week.  There was a lot less of the "flash" editing as in week 1.  This week, they showed the first 5 drivers testing at Martinsville.  Very interesting to see the differences in their results and the different degrees of their racing experience.  Also interesting to hear the comments from the "judges", Jack Roush, Ricky Craven, Mike Beam, Doug Richert, and others.  Of them all, Jack's comments seemed less natural and more "acting for TV."  Perhaps, he's just not comfortable speaking in front of the camera.

Overall, I think this show is well worth watching and very interesting.  It airs Monday night's 8 p.m. (eastern) on Discovery Channel.  Each week, I believe they repeat last week's show at 7 p.m. as a lead-in to the new episode.  For anyone out there with HD, they will begin repeating ALL episodes on Discovery HD Theater on Nov 7th.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:15:21 PM »

The drivers were Bubba Pollard, Scott Lynch, Sam Beam, Jason Boyd, and Jeffrey Choquette.

They were ranked on a points system and the top 12 scores after all the drivers finish will move on to the next round.  I believe that Boyd had the highest score of the group and Pollard had the lowest.

Pollard, only 18, was especially nervous in the truck.  He is definitely not ready.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:02:23 PM »

I enjoyed that show Monday night.  I was really impressed with one of the drivers.  I thought the last driver they showed, I think Jeffrey,  had an awful lot of desire & talent plus he seemed to be very knowledgeable about what it takes to set a vehicle up.  So far, I think he is the best although his scores put him in 2nd place so far.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:05:29 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I enjoyed that show Monday night.  I was really impressed with one of the drivers.  I thought the last driver they showed, I think Jeffrey,  had an awful lot of desire & talent plus he seemed to be very knowledgeable about what it takes to set a vehicle up.  So far, I think he is the best although his scores put him in 2nd place so far.

Thanks for bringing up set-up, Vivian.  I forgot to mention that. I liked that they set up the truck tight, so the drivers had to be responsible for deciding how to adjust it.  That way, Roush knows they know something about how the car/truck works and could give the appropriate feedback to their crew chief.  Glad it doesn't appear to be just a "beauty pagent" like so many think determines drivers these days.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 04:55:14 AM »

Episode 3 recap:

--Travis Kittleson blew an engine on his second 20-lap run; he had to go into a backup to drive the evaluation laps (third 20-lap run).
--Danny O'Quinn ran a lap of 20.61 seconds, the first driver to surpass the standard time of 20.86 set by Ricky Craven.  His overall score is the best of the 10 drivers so far.
--Sondi Eden performed better than any of the judges expected.
--Matt Jaskol and Nevin George were average at best.

Official show website:
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/driverx/driverx.html

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:55:54 AM »

Summary of Episode 4 (drivers 11-15):

--The key word is disappointment.  Justin Allgaier and Christi Passmore, two of the pre-competition favorites, have already been eliminated because their scores are in the bottom three.  Passmore never fully recovered from a spin early in the second 20-lap segment.  Allgaier, who has driven for Mike Mittler in the Craftsman Truck Series, was uncharacteristically nervous and never really gained speed.
--Chuck Barnes and Jason Hogan, rivals on the late-model circuit in the Southeast, had the two highest scores in the group.  Barnes, in fact, has the fourth-best score overall, and if I remember correctly, Hogan is eighth.
--Chris Andrews, son of Kyle Petty's Cup crew chief Paul Andrews (who I believe has worked with both Burton brothers), also drove on this episode.

Only the top 12 scores after all drivers have completed their runs around Martinsville will qualify for the Darlington round, which is why Allgaier and Passmore are already gone.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
former NASCAR cup crew chief Paul Andrews (who I believe has worked with both Burton brothers

Paul Andrews was 1992 Winston Cup Champion Crew Chief for Alan Kulwicki.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:19:37 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Paul Andrews was 1992 Winston Cup Champion Crew Chief for Alan Kulwicki.

What a magical season that was!  Kulwicki may end up being the last true underdog driver to win what is now the Nextel Cup championship.  Even the new limit on the number of teams is not guaranteed to work, and probably won't.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:11:35 PM »

Episode 5 recap:

--The drivers in this group were from all over the place: North Carolina, Maine, California, Indiana and New Zealand.
--David Ragan wanted to pull tape from under the grille, but was not allowed to do so.  So he wanted to pull a lot of wedge from both sides of the car, or something like that.  Jack Roush allowed the change.
--Michael Pickens cried after Roush came to him and spoke to him personally.  According to narrator Mason Pettit, this doesn't happen too often.  Earlier in his segment, it was revealed that New Zealand, the country he is from, has no paved tracks.
--Joey Clark got some encouragement from fellow Maine native Ricky Craven.
--Late in the show, the highlight of Craven's race win at Martinsville in October was shown.  Todd Kluever, winner of the 2004 "gong show," finished second in the race.
--In the group, Ragan had the best score, Pickens had the worst.

Overall standings (after 20 of 25 drivers):
  1. Danny O'Quinn*
  2. Jason Boyd*
  3. Travis Kittleson*
  4. David Ragan*
  5. Chuck Barnes*
  6. Tim Andrews*
  7. Auggie Vidovich*
  8. Jason Hogan
  9. Joey Clark
10. Jeffrey Choquette
11. Scott Lynch
12. Michael Lewis
13. Nevin George+
14. Kevin Jaskol+
15. Bubba Pollard+
16. Sondi Eden+
17. Michael Pickens+
18. Justin Allgaier+
19. Sam Beam+
20. Christi Passmore+

*Qualified for the next round
+Eliminated

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:17:11 PM »

Desmond,

Please remember this section is suppose to be for "feedback" from the viewers on this show.  Where the members tell the Discovery Channel what they think of the show.  Not for a "recap" of what happened every week.

Tell us what you thought about the show!  Do you like the editing, number of commercials, etc?  Do you like how the producers give us a little background on each driver?  Tell us what you don't like about the show (if there is anything.)

From what you post every week, I can't even tell if you actually watch the show or just copy a synopsis from the Discovery website.   :?   Come on, let's remember why the Speedcouch Forum was created!  So viewers can tell the various networks what they like/dislike about race broadcasts and racing shows on TV.  

Thanks!
Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

Cheryl, if you insist on my opinions, here they are:

--The show doesn't traditionally resemble "reality TV" in the sense that there is a narrator and some educational matter.  This is a good show to watch, whether you're a first-time NASCAR watcher or whether you have watched the sport for a long time.
--The research staff obviously did their homework on the driver background pieces.  I would have liked to have seen more highlights, including that of David Ragan's win in the ARCA race at Lanier last May.
--I gave the recap as to which drivers are still in the competition and which ones are not.  I like the fact that we already know these results, and the drivers don't.  Let them face all the tension and suspense.
--We see how hands-on Jack Roush is as an owner.  Thanks, Discovery, for showing us that side of him.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:43:38 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Cheryl, if you insist on my opinions, here they are:

--The show doesn't traditionally resemble "reality TV" in the sense that there is a narrator and some educational matter.  This is a good show to watch, whether you're a first-time NASCAR watcher or whether you have watched the sport for a long time.
--The research staff obviously did their homework on the driver background pieces.  I would have liked to have seen more highlights, including that of David Ragan's win in the ARCA race at Lanier last May.
--I gave the recap as to which drivers are still in the competition and which ones are not.  I like the fact that we already know these results, and the drivers don't.  Let them face all the tension and suspense.
--We see how hands-on Jack Roush is as an owner.  Thanks, Discovery, for showing us that side of him.

Thanks, Desmond!   :-D   That was great!

As to the race at Lanier, it wasn't even televised, so there aren't any highlights.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 08:04:14 PM »

Cheryl, I watched the first two weeks, but missed the subsequent shows, so I have appreciated Desmond's updates.
 I would have been suprised if the Discovery Channel had not come up with a pretty good production, and I think they have. Trying to cover eack of the 25 drivers during the first episode seemed a bit much, but I supposed that they felt compelled to do so.
 Overall, not a bad show at all. I think it does demonstrate the intensity involved with big time racing pretty well.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »

Don't forget it is on tonight with the last 5 of the 25 drivers.  I am really looking forward to it.  Turns out Roush had a good idea when he decided to televise it although I has reservations at the first announcement of him wanting to televise it.  Thanks, Jack!
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 03:30:55 PM »

I was able to watch last night's show while I was doing some "cardiac rehab" (don't ask  :-D ), and enjoyed it.
 I wish they would not cut from one scene to another so quickly, kinda gave me a headache.
 Overall, I thought it was good. I thought the producers/directors worked a bit too much trying to dramatize the last 3 of the 12 selected, and Jack did too.
 On the plus side, I thought they did a good job of discussing the different "lines"  around the track in relationship to the speeds which the drivers were able to obtain, and points like that.
 And no matter how you slice it, this show sure beats watching a bunch of silly talking heads blabbering on about this little thing or that, ad nauseum,.... :twisted:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: