November 18, 2017, 10:09:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roush Gong Show on Discovery Tonight!  (Read 883 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 24, 2005, 03:54:19 PM »

From BGNRacing.com:  "Roush Racing: Driver X, a new racing reality show filmed this past summer, will premiere Monday, October 24 at 8 pm ET on Discovery Channel (and Nov. 7 on Discovery HD Theater). Part-time NBS competitors Scott Lynch, Travis Kittleson, and David Ragan, along with 22 other NASCAR hopefuls, will be featured as their quest begins to be selected as the next driver to sign a contract with the championship-winning team of Roush Racing. (10-23-05)"

I saw an article on this in the Scene the other day and set a Season Pass to record it on Tivo.  It ought to be pretty interesting, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »

Last night's show was a brief overview of the process, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at how the 1,700 applicants were narrowed down to 25.  Also featured were interviews with all five of the Roush Racing drivers in the Nextel Cup Series and both its drivers in the Craftsman Truck Series.

I read today on an online newspaper in Maine that the calls telling the applicants that they either made it or didn't make it were actually re-created a day later for the benefit of the cameras.  Makes you wonder what's "real" on reality television, at least on this show.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:49:48 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I read today on an online newspaper in Maine that the calls telling the applicants that they either made it or didn't make it were actually re-created a day later for the benefit of the cameras.  Makes you wonder what's "real" on reality television, at least on this show.

Personally, I don't think anything on "reality" shows are real.  And I figured the calls on this show were faked, considering the drivers reponses seemed too controlled.

As to the first episode in general, I absolutely hated the editing!  They kept flashing from scene to scene about every 10 seconds.  I guess this is what Discovery thinks will keep the short attention span viewers interested.  For me, it really turned me off.  I sincerely hope future episodes will have a more traditional editing style.  

And was there some contractural requirement to show the fountain in front of Roush racing every minute or so?  That got real tiring really quickly too.

Not surprisingly, there was a high commercial count on this show.  I set a Season Pass on Tivo, but chose to watch the first episode live.  Don't think I'll do that next week.  All the commercials would be a lot easier to take if I can just fast forward through them.

I was really anxious to see this show because I'm interested in process Roush uses to find his next drivers.  Just hope Discovery does a better job documentting things from here on out.  

BTW, one thing they did get right was when they were desribing Roush building the truck for use in the competition.  The narrator said "It's built to resemble an F-150."  That's certainly the first time I've heard someone (besides us fans) admit the cars and trucks are really nothing like the production vehicles they represent.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 09:54:21 PM »

We watched that show and I have the tv set to turn to that channel tonight.  But if the game is not over and it is an exciting game, we will probably stick with the game.  

One of the 25 drivers is Bud Kaeding ( I think I got his first name right) is the son and grandson of drivers Brent and Howard who Don and I used to watch at West Capital Speedway in Sacramento, CA when it was still in operation and had the sprint and what they called super modiefieds (now known mostly as the WoO).  So we would like to kind of see what is happening.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 10:25:25 PM »

Watched again last night.  Had some good drivers on.  It is interesting.  Two of them scored really good.  It will be interesting to see who comes out the winner at the end.  One of the girls drove last night and the next one should be on next week.  They showed a preview of the next one spinning out so don't forget it is on Mondays.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:23:55 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Watched again last night.  Had some good drivers on.  It is interesting.  Two of them scored really good.

The top one from this week was Danny O'Quinn who is from the Hooters series.   Cheesy   He was in the tryouts last year and finished second to Todd Kluever.  So glad he got another chance this year!

My concern about this show is the time it is on.  Didn't Discovery realize they were putting it up against Inside Winston Cup?  Also Arrested Development on Fox.  We watched that live and recorded this show.  Finally watched it Tuesday night.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: