November 18, 2017, 11:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some final notes from the telecast  (Read 1545 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: May 04, 2004, 04:03:04 PM »

I wrote the review of the Auto Club 500, of course.

There were two other things that were edited from the final product that I want to make a note of here.

First, Tony Stewart declined to be interviewed after the race, following another day of erratic behavior.  Later, the Speed channel said that Stewart had cited heat concerns for not speaking to Fox.  This is a huge copout, as the day was hot for everybody, and as a southern California resident, I felt it firsthand.  (Stewart later issued a written statement about the race.)

Also, among the usual and expected slate of commercials, the Darrell Waltrip ads for Toyota were the very best.  Whatever you think of DW, you must agree that these ads symbolize what he is about--someone who loves life and never takes it seriously.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 09:16:56 PM »

Desmond, I have to tell you that even though DW may be someone who loves life and never takes it seriously, I really hate some of those commercials.  You may call me negative on this, but I feel that some of the kind of destructive ads he does helps create that kind of attitude in younger kids.  I would much rather see the kind of ones where he takes care of the trucks and places value on the hard work of obtaining one.  Do I make sense?  Keep in mind this is JMHO.
oldave
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 04:29:46 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
First, Tony Stewart declined to be interviewed after the race, following another day of erratic behavior.  Later, the Speed channel said that Stewart had cited heat concerns for not speaking to Fox.  This is a huge copout

Define erratic behavior?

Bumping the 24 that he didn't know was there?  

Driving in the lane the 2 wanted, and not backing off and giving it to him?  Suffering pretty severe damage on the right front in the process?

Getting the air sucked off his spoiler by the 2, bumping the 2 into a scrape with the wall (that's how the 48 saw it, and said so)??

Sorry, but on Sunday, Tony Stewart wasn't erratic, wasn't over agressive, wasn't doing anything wrong.  John Darby himself said that.

As for not doing a post-race interview... well, it's probaby best not to, since it would likely cost $10,000 and 25 points (or more).  Sure, he's got to learn to be able to do an interview without it getting expensive.  But please, he finished the race 16th, a lap down.  Except for Rusty's rant, nobody would have even cared to approach him with a microphone.

Rusty Wallace's tirade makes for a great story, and super quotes, especially because he didn't use any of George Carlin's 7 words.  But Rusty's frustration with being sent to the garage by the 97 was part of reason behind it.

Here's an idea... anytime there is any incident on the track, let's all point to the 20 and say "bad, bad boy, you caused another wreck by driving recklessly."

DW and Larry Mac are already just about there...
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 09:09:23 PM »

Hey Old Dave!  I read your post 3 times and decided I still don't know if you are really agreeing with John Darby about Tony or if you are being facetious.  Wait, before you or anyone else gets upset .....have we (meaning media and all Tony haters) really reached a point that no matter what Tony does, it is wrong?  They all do wrong (Cheryl, I am not bashing)and try to get away with what they can; but when they race so close and are so confined by the safety gear & equipment in the car and the spotters are not on top of everything I just think the media looks to stir up some controversy and many, many of the fans fall for it.  We can be conditioned so easily.  Yes, Tony does mess up, as does every other driver out there.  I think some of the media want to interview him just so they can get a crappy reaction from him so they have more fuel to feed the fire of him being a bad boy and when they can't they have to bring it to our attention and say, "see?" he did it again.  Bad, bad Tony.  
By the way, has anyone ever known a media person who was not a gossip?  IMO they are the best gossips around.
Now, Dave, tell me true, were you agreeing with John???   :? I do.
oldave
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
have we (meaning media and all Tony haters) really reached a point that no matter what Tony does, it is wrong?

I suspect his may be the case.  Folks are just looking for reasons to park him, for one race or the rest of the season.

Remember, too, that all this is good for ratings, newspaper sales, website hits, etc.  So it'll be sensationalized.

Also, the racing is boring on these huge tracks... gotta have something to talk about after the race...

Plus, if they hype the Tony/Rusty feud, it can sell tickets for RIR.  It'll get folks to tune in to see who's gonna do what to whom.

The Tony/Rusty thing's been brewing since Bristol...

Quote from: "Vivian"
Now, Dave, tell me true, were you agreeing with John???   :? I do.

I do agree with John.  In the first instance, Rusty drove down to the left, damaging the right front of the 20.  Then, while the spotter's talking Zippy, Jeff got up on the outside, but nobody told Tony he was there... when the 20 drifted up, it bumped the 24.

I'm not 1000% sure on the wall incident... Tony might be good enough to make it look accidental... maybe get up there and run by the 2, knowing the air will get sucked off the spoiler, and when it does, be just a *tiny* bit late correcting...

But I really don't believe that's the case.

I think John would've had him parked *during* the race if they'd believed there was anything other than just racing involved.  And I believe he'd be sitting out Richmond, too, along with a fine.  

I really believe the 20 was under a huge magnifying glass on Sunday... and Mike Helton and John Darby were the ones holding it.  If they didn't see anything wrong, and Darby's publically said he didn't (not the usual 'just because NASCAR hasn't said anything means it's ok' bit, either).

Jim Hunter's quoted in the LA Times as saying the same thing.  So that's NASCAR's official position.
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 09:26:44 PM »

Thanks, Dave.  Looks like we are crossing 2 areas of posts.  However, I have to get back to work so talk to you later.  Have a good day  Smiley
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 05:28:38 AM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I wrote the review of the Auto Club 500, of course.

There were two other things that were edited from the final product that I want to make a note of here.

First, Tony Stewart declined to be interviewed after the race, following another day of erratic behavior.  Later, the Speed channel said that Stewart had cited heat concerns for not speaking to Fox.  This is a huge copout, as the day was hot for everybody, and as a southern California resident, I felt it firsthand.  (Stewart later issued a written statement about the race.)

Also, among the usual and expected slate of commercials, the Darrell Waltrip ads for Toyota were the very best.  Whatever you think of DW, you must agree that these ads symbolize what he is about--someone who loves life and never takes it seriously.

Dad joked that if DW ever drove through the house in a truck, he'd better go fast 'cause Dad said he'd get the gun. :lol:

But here's what I want to know: DW owns a Volvo and Honda dealership down the road from me (using it here as a figurative phrase) in Franklin, yet he owns a Truck Series team powered by Toyota? What's that all about? Oh, yeah, $. :roll:
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 02:11:59 PM »

I say don't worry about Tony!!  All of this controversy will die down as soonas Kevin Harvick bumps into someone of Kurt Busch does something else stupid.  Nascar, since it has pretty much sucked the life out of the sport, has to hype something to keep all of its new viewers interested.  You have to keep in mind,  the new demographic (younger people with short attention spans) they are trying to get doesn't really care about the racing.  Gotta do something to keep it interesting.  

I must say, though, I was floored by what Tony had to say about the guys in the booth and DW in particualr before the Richmond race.  You go, Tony!!  I think a lot of problems would be solved if DW would just keep his opinions to himself and just call the race!!  And by tht, I mean the race that is actually running at the time, not the race at this track 20 years ago when DW was in it.  When I go to the movie theater, I don't spend the entire time talking about a movie I saw 20 years ago, I watch the movie that is playing now.  Shut up and step into the present, and if you can't do that, quit pretending you are a race commentator!!  Start a show called "Racing memories of DW and no one else.  (What I would do in this situation.....)  DW was much better when he was telling random stories occasionally, not every week.  If I wanted to hear his stories, I would watch his show and not a race.....

I am getting myself all worked up here.......

At any rate, Tony will be fine.  And if not, he will sit out eventually and, nah, who am I kidding, somehow Tony always manages to get through these things....
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 04:08:32 PM »

I see Staci finally reemerged from her winter hiberation.   :wink: Welcome back!

I have to say I agree with you that the commentators need to stop trying to "make" the news so much.  I have no problem with them having opinions, but it really has no place in the broadcast.  Isn't the media supposed to be unbiased?  Of course we never see any of that from Fox...the network built on controversy and hype.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 05:55:04 PM »

I agree with your sentiments, Cheryl. I also hope tthat Martinigirl keeps on posting, because her posts are at least entertaining!! Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 10:12:55 PM »

I wish Staci would post more often, too!  She's my roommate, and if she ever stopped working about 100 hours a week, I might get her to do it more often.  Of course, I get the "unposted" comments at home (when she's awake), and you guys aint' heard NOTHIN'!
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »

Tell her we ALL want to hear.  Thanks.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 03:14:45 AM »

Awwww, it is so nice to have been missed.  To be honest, though, besides working so much (Sally wasn't exaggerating when she said 100 hours a week) I have been too pissed off to be talking NASCAR lately.  Yes, Sally gets my unposted comments, but luckily she has known me long enough to make sense of them becuz I haven't even been speaking in full sentences.  I can't even remember my own name let alone the names of 43 drivers.  HEY!!  I could work for FOX, since they can't seem to remember the names of 10 drivers let alone 43.  Hmmmm.....  And my shirts fit....Ok, no, they don't, as Sally will attest, but at least I wear pullovers so no one has to be worried about getting hit in the eye with a bursting button....And I do have some racing knowledge, oh shoot, they won't hire me, I blew it.  I could pretend I don't know anything..... :roll:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: