November 22, 2017, 07:32:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on Inside Nextel Cup  (Read 6058 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 21, 2005, 02:49:21 PM »

Please use this thread to tell the SPEED Channel what you think about this show.

Thanks!
Cheryl
tl4ts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »

SPEED needs to give Mikey his own show.   That way those that want to watch his Infomercial and listen to him talk about himself for a half hour can do so and those of us that are bored to death with it can turn him OFF!  Makes eveyone happy Cheesy
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 07:08:06 PM »

Hi,

Welcome to the Speedcouch forum!   :smt039   Good idea on MW getting his own show!  

Would you mind giving us your first name so we can welcome you properly?  It's just kind of a tradition among the members here to share your name.  

Thanks,
Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 08:49:23 PM »

WELCOME, tl4ts!!!

Gosh, you have come up with one of the best ideas yet.  Where have you been?  I also wish they would give Mikey his on self promotion show and I also could turn him off and have the pleasure of watching the other fellas do their job and enjoy it.  Thanks for that suggestion.

I wish they would get rid of the stool chairs and bring back the other ones or have all of them behind a desk/counter with their clipboard laying on it and their legs and feet hidden so they would look more comfortable.  But if Mike stays then don't have chairs that will move up and down.

I like the idea they are changing the background pictures now and the fact that they seem to have brought in a couple of aspects of the race that was not there before.

I do miss Alan and his way of bringing up incidents and trying to place it as an accident or intentional situation between the drivers.

I also miss them doing a more thorough review of the Busch race.
sally
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 01:24:55 AM »

While there are some things I like about the new show...mostly muzzling Michael, I find it has turned into a relatively joyless re hash of a lot of what we have already heard.  The spontenaity  that used to make it at least lively, has gone.  Too much race footage and radio replays, mostly ones that we've already heard.  Too much like Victory Lane without the confetti.  Or the fun.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:19:08 AM »

As I have already written, the show is just not the same without Allen Bestwick and Johnny Benson.  Nor do I watch the show on a regular basis.

However, if, as others have written, Dave Despain now keeps Michael Waltrip in check, that's a good thing.  Mikey has worn out my welcome.

As for the cutback in coverage of Busch and truck series races, it has to do with the reduction in the show length by 30 minutes, which took place in June.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »

I respect the fact that Dave Despain has a tremendous amount of knowlege about all types of rracing.  I have wondered, however, if the new reliance on radio and video clips has anything to do with the fact that he isn't exactly a Nascar 'insider'...or even a fan?

To me, with most of the show that Speed has put on the air lately, it's as if they don't really have any idea what fans want to hear or see.  They rely on re hashing the same information over and over.  Perhaps if they didn't limit themselves so much to only the drivers involved in the drapshoot, they could come up with something more original to air.

Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 12:33:34 AM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
As for the cutback in coverage of Busch and truck series races, it has to do with the reduction in the show length by 30 minutes, which took place in June.

Somehow they managed to cover Busch and the Truck Series the past 9 years when the show was only an hour, so cutting it back from 90 minutes after a few months, is no excuse.  More likely, it's because someone at SPEED requires more commercials to take the place of the review of these series.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 11:49:22 AM »

Obviously, having Kenny Schrader on the show makes a big difference.  When I saw he would be on last night I watched the show, and it was the best one I've seen since Despain took over.

Interesting to hear the takes on Kurt Busch's penalty.  It seemed unanimous that the difference in what he did (thus earning a penalty) was him getting into the #15 in the middle of the corner and not backing off, thus spinning Mikey.  Interesting to hear the drivers discuss what makes a 'bump and run' acceptable or not.

Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 12:54:39 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Obviously, having Kenny Schrader on the show makes a big difference.  When I saw he would be on last night I watched the show, and it was the best one I've seen since Despain took over.

Interesting to hear the takes on Kurt Busch's penalty.  It seemed unanimous that the difference in what he did (thus earning a penalty) was him getting into the #15 in the middle of the corner and not backing off, thus spinning Mikey.  Interesting to hear the drivers discuss what makes a 'bump and run' acceptable or not.

I recorded the show Monday and we watched it last night.  It was an entertaining show; however, they seemed to have a bit of trouble not talking over each other.  That's where I say having only two drivers and the host is not such a bad idea.  Brian Vickers is no shrinking violet, so with Michael and Kenny back, there was a bit of competition to voice their opinions.

What I really noticed was Dave's comment about how they were able to "keep a tight ship" while Schrader was away.  I took that to mean they kept on topic more and didn't go over time on each segment.  This got me to thinking that maybe that was the real reason Allen was replaced because it was getting to be impossible to keep MW and KS from going off on tangents.  I know this is what we enjoy, but the producer has to be under tremendous pressure from the network to get all the commericals in.  I really noticed that since SPEED (aka Fox) took over, the commercial count on the show increased significantly.  That's part of what has irritated me a bit about the show the last couple years.  

The best part of the show was when Schrader blantently pointed out to Michael "I see you've developed a bit of an attitude problem while I was away!"   :lol:  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

What I really noticed was Dave's comment about how they were able to "keep a tight ship" while Schrader was away. I took that to mean they kept on topic more and didn't go over time on each segment. This got me to thinking that maybe that was the real reason Allen was replaced because it was getting to be impossible to keep MW and KS from going off on tangents. I know this is what we enjoy, but the producer has to be under tremendous pressure from the network to get all the commericals in. I really noticed that since SPEED (aka Fox) took over, the commercial count on the show increased significantly. That's part of what has irritated me a bit about the show the last couple years.

You know, I got thoroughly disgusted with the show this past Monday.  They were speaking over each other and I felt that Dave lost total control of Mikey.  So, there goes that show for me now.  I just can't take the kind of insults the MW throws out.  Especially the one where he said as they were going to commercial, "If you don't agree with me get your own show" in a sarcastic voice, imo. I won't be insulted by him anymore nor have my integrity questioned even if he is a "star" so to speak and has more money than I will ever dream of having.  Well, I darn sure won't watch 'his' anymore.  Goodbye, Inside Cup.  I really thought things had changed, but they haven't.  JMHO...

I know some people don't like it, but I continue to be impressed with Wind Tunnel.  This past Sunday Mike Joy was co-host and it was great, again...
sally
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 01:06:39 AM »

I totally agree about WT, Vivian.  Right now it's about the only race related show I try not to miss.

As far as IWC this past Monday, I wonder if Mikey feels threatened by Schrader's sense of humor overshadowing him, so that's why he gets so out of control when Schrader is on?  Kenny is witty and funny without being as nasty as Michael can get.  Kinda makes Mikey sound silly when he feels he has to 'outperform' the others on the set.

Sal
gametime723
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »

This show has lost its luster without Allan Bestwick and Johnny Benson. At least replace Brian Vickers with someone that has their own opinion and not afraid to express it. My wife said it best, “Vickers is just a parrot”. Jeff Burton was and is an excellent replacement for Vickers. Nothing personal but Brian seems to have no respect for most people and the hosts seem to have none for him either.

I have family in NASCAR and do not need the show for information. I do enjoy the comments from Kenny Schrader and Michael Waltrip though. Those guys are hilarious!  Smiley

m
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »

Hi "M",

Welcome to the Speedcouch forum!   :smt006  Care to share your first name with us?  It's kind of a Speedcouch tradition to use first names.  

I agree with you about missing Allen and JB from this show.  Dave Despain is just too dry for me.  I know a lot of folks here like him, but he still doesn't seem like NASCAR is really his thing.  The more he is on this show, he seems to come across as just putting in his time until the hour is through.  

As to your comment about Brian Vickers, not to disagree, but I just saw it differently. I thought that he at least tried to get Michael to stay on topic last night and Michael just rudely continued on a tangent.  Not much respect there from someone who was wasting time asking how to spell "pitcher."  I understand Brian is the newest member and probably should leave it to the host to try and get them back on topic, but at least he was trying.  I agree Michael can be funny, but his need to draw attention to himself gets really old IMHO.  If you looked at the expression on Schrader's face when he was going on about pictures and pitchers, it was clear he was fed up with it too.

I'm glad you brought up last night's show though, because I meant to mention that I really appreciated Schrader's candor in admitting he meant to hit Stremme, but not take him out.  You sure don't hear that kind of honesty from many of the drivers in NASCAR lately.  Way to go, Kenny!

Again, welcome to the forum!  We're glad you've joined us.  I'm sure everyone would be really interested in hearing your perspectives on TV coverage if you have family involved in the sport.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 09:10:22 PM »

Welcome "m"!  :smt026  Always like to get a new perspective!  Missing Allen and JohnnyB seems to be universal...unless you're Speed.  Since the changes, they can't seem to quite decide if they're tring to be a 'news' show, or Nascar entertainment.  It used to be fun, as much as they 'covered' the races, the commentary was so much fun.  At least, before Mikey decided he was a 'TV Personality and Official Nascar Shill'.  I love Despain on WT, but think he's totally wrong for what this show is...was...used to be.  Brian seems to be a nice boy, but just doesn't seem to mesh here for me.  Just another example of change for the sake of change, not necessarily to make it better.

I really don't think the people in charge at Speed have ANY idea what fans want to see or hear....witness the 'improvements' in Nascar Nation.  Didn't even survive to the end of the racing season...or that stupid show with the punky people in the infield.  Junk. :smt022

So sad.

Sally
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: