May 22, 2018, 02:56:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KC and the Chase, etc.  (Read 1029 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 11, 2005, 01:22:27 PM »

First off, I find it interesting that I didn't even feel disappointed I missed the entire Winston Cup race on Sunday.  A couple of years ago, I would've been panicked by the fact that we were at the Hooters race and it was rain delayed until Sunday and I couldn't find out what was going on with NASCAR.  Now, I could basically care less.  Thank you, Brian France.  

Second, I've pretty much found the KC track to be boring since ISC built it to "expand into new markets".  Last year's close finish between Ricky Rudd and Joe Nemechek is the one exception.  After hearing that the Roush cars led all but 16 laps (and seeing the margin of victory), I don't feel like I missed a thing this year.  

Third, and more importantly, I thought this after seeing the points last week, but never got around to mentioning it until now.  To me, it appears the "Chase" is over already.  The good news, I guess, is that the guy who had a big lead in points under the old system still has a pretty big lead under this contrived championship system.  So, to me, all the worry about Roush's five cars "dominating" the Chase amounts to nothing.

As has happened under the normal championship system in the past, it appears to be down to a race for second right now between Newman, Johnson, Biffle and Wallace.  

To me, last season's "excitement" all the way to Homestead was a fluke.  Consistency is still what matters in becoming Champion and I truely believe the way things are stacking up, we're gonna have the same kind of perceived blow-out under the Chase system as we've had in the past.  I really have no problem with that as I had no problem with the old points system.  I just have to laugh when imagining France and TV's panic as they see the failure of their attempts to artificially keep the competition close.  

But all and all, I simply feel like NASCAR and their TV partners have finally succeeded in totally crushing my enthusiam for NASCAR.  Sure, I'll probably watch Charlotte and Martinsville as they are my two favorite tracks.  And Atlanta, which has provided some of the best racing we've seen in the last few years.  But Texas, Phoenix and Homestead, I can take or leave.  Just more boring tracks like we saw this weekend.  Where aero push makes it nearly impossible to pass for the lead.

One last thought...how come the Busch Series can produce a close finish at places like KC and the premiere division can't?  Kind of makes you wonder which really IS the premiere division?

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:47 AM »

As far as the race went, it was boring and that was due to the racing itself and then also due to the broadcast which I commented on there.

Don and I both kind of dozed during most of the race.  The end was not even exciting as it was such a runaway.  Idid notice there was some shuffling for position when they would show the whole pack.  And several drivers (Schrader and Mears) really drove a great race but only got mentioned a couple of times.  It is hard sometimes to separate the race from the broadcast so sorry about any redundancy.  

The end of the Busch race Saturday was really exciting but that was only a couple of laps.  Rest of it was boring.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 12:34:33 AM »

I agree the race was a bore, I actually watched more of the Grand Am race on Speed and the NFL.

As for the close finish in the Bush race, Matt McLaughlin made a good point.  He said that there was a great Cup race last year, a great Bush race this year, which runs last years Cup package, and this years Cup race was lousy running the new aero package.
Heres the link to the article: http://racingstalkers.com/pages/opinion/Matt/MM_10-09.html

Also, I read on Jayski's that early ratings were down 11%, so much for the great chase helping tv ratings.

Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:46:16 AM »

Thanks for the link, Shawn.  I had forgotten some of the things that I wanted to comment on.  One was about the "meters" the charging system was showing.  I just cracked up when I heard that. Almost ROTF..... :lol:

The timely caution for Matt.  On Inside Cup last night, Dave tried to hint about it, but it seems Matt's fellow drivers tried to convince him that all the debris was there for quite a while, but when one listened to the radio talk, I sure got the impression that there was some code talk in there and sure enough, the flag came out very timely.  Yes, I am convinced they worked with one of their other drivers to make it happen and the number was mentioned on the radio.   :twisted:   Can't convince this old veteran fan it was legit....Keep in mind,  JMO...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 12:51:27 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
The timely caution for Matt.  On Inside Cup last night, Dave tried to hint about it, but it seems Matt's fellow drivers tried to convince him that all the debris was there for quite a while, but when one listened to the radio talk, I sure got the impression that there was some code talk in there and sure enough, the flag came out very timely.  Yes, I am convinced they worked with one of their other drivers to make it happen and the number was mentioned on the radio.   :twisted:   Can't convince this old veteran fan it was legit....Keep in mind,  JMO...

I heard that too, Vivian and it just made me think that NASCAR does everything in their power to help their favorites and the ones in the Chase.  It's just really becoming a joke lately. :evil:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:56:02 PM »

They have had their mysterious debris cautions for so many years I usually make a bet with Don on how many they will have each race.  We also bet on who will cause the first caution.  It makes for interesting conversation and usually we both lose.   Wink  

It really does seem that the inconsistancy by Nascar always favors certain drivers - whether it is in fines or mysterious cautions.  That is one unwritten rule we can be sure of.  :roll:
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 02:19:45 AM »

Kansas I believe can be a good track for racing, but not with the current Aero/tire package they have now. I know in 2001-2002-2003, racing was getting VERY good at Vegas, California, Texas, Atlanta, and even Phoenix. Then NASCAR went in and changed the aero and tires, and it messed it all up. Cars couldn't (and still can't) run side by side at these tracks without losing aero and getting loose. The result? Bad racing. Kansas and Chicagoland are similar to Vegas, and they were on the brink of getting some VERY good racing as soon as the asphalt could get settled in and aged. But NASCAR changed the rules before that could happen, which gives Kansas, Chicagoland, Vegas, and Phoenix the "bad rap" for being single-groove tracks.

I remember in 2002 and 2003 being excited about almost every track, because they were able to run the bottom, middle, and the top evenly. Some of the others that used to be awesome before the aero/tire changes were places like Dover, Michigan, Lowe's, and Richmond. Now those places have turned into "stay on the bottom" tracks. I saw Humpy Wheeler do an interview on INC the other night, and he said they did the "levigating" because Lowe's developed into a 1-groove track. Why did it do that? NASCAR's tire/aero changes kept cars from running side by side.

If NASCAR would just go back to the old aero/tire rules, we can have awesome races almost every week (except Loudon, which always sucks no matter what type of "filler" or "sealer" Bahre does to it. He needs to do a Homesead and add about 15-20 degree's of banking to that place, or else it will eternally suck.)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:24:08 AM »

Gee, I didn't know that the "cookie cutter" tracks were once good to race on.

Another reminder on who's really destroying the sport... :evil:

Seriously, I really feel very bad for those who come to those tracks.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 12:54:41 PM »

Quote from: "azbobbybooshay10"
Kansas I believe can be a good track for racing, but not with the current Aero/tire package they have now.

You know I don't normally defend NA$CAR these days, but I DO truely believe they went with this aero package in an attempt to get more side by side racing.  Unfortunately, nothing seems to help on these flatter tracks.  They were talking about the dreaded aero push on some show I was watching earlier this week.  That's still the culprit and KC was a prime example of what we've seen the last five years or so.  The cars are just too slick and if someone gets out front, no one can pass him.  Atlanta seems to be the one exception, and I guess that is because of seasoned pavement and 24-degree banking.  

I heard Humpy's explanation about Charlotte going to one-groove and I just didn't buy that.  Charlotte has always been a multiple groove track and was until he started messing with it earlier this year.  

I don't know what the answer is, other than my same old conplaints that they just need to race on smaller tracks.  I'm sure they feel the Car of the Future will help some of this, but who knows?  Just like at Talladega and Daytona, I really wish they'd race cars closer to true stock and they'd probably slow down AND have less aerodynamic cars.  But then, I know that is certainly a pipedream.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: