November 19, 2017, 09:43:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California  (Read 1356 times)
sally
« on: May 03, 2004, 12:54:02 AM »

OK.  Who stayed awake to see the finish of the race?  I was busy cleaning house and scrubbing the bathroom, so I figured one of you out there could tell me what happened.  I "listened", but since it didn't sound as if I missed much, I got caught uo on housework.  Wait.  Let me guess...GAS MILEAGE!
Sally
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 06:38:54 AM »

(Yawn)I think I just woke up too. Remind me to go into "hibernation" mode on Labor Day weekend, as well as both Michigan races.  :wink:

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 06:51:05 AM »

Actually, I think we can sleep thru most of June and July, can't we? :roll:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »

Maybe Lou and I were just lucky that we listened to the first 2/3s of the race on MRN while driving back from the USAR race in Virginia yesterday.  I know the guys on the radio can embellish things a bit, but it sure sounded like the first half of the race has lots of side-by-side racing and passing for the lead.  Granted, it did settle down into long green flag runs after halfway.  We got home around 6 and watched the rest of it on TV.  All I can say is that after the rather soothing tones of the guys on MRN, Larry's voice was driving me crazy from the time I turned the Fox broadcast on last night.  Usually,  it's DW who does that to me, but yesterday it was Larry for some reason.  

I really thought we were gonna see a better battle for the lead near the end with Bobby Labonte catching Gordon, but I guess he used up a lot of gas getting to him.  I hated to see him run out of gas that near the end.  Same with Jeremy Mayfield who was having such a good run yesterday as well.  Poor Rusty, first getting cloberred by Stewart and then by Busch.  I didn't see his interview on TV and he was pretty calm by the time he granted an interview to radio.  Will have to check out the first part of the race on Tivo tonight, I guess.  

Speaking of MRN, Barney Hall didn't make the long haul out to CA for the race this weekend, so MRN had Eli Gold back in the booth as the anchor for this broadcast.  Man!  Talk about a blast from the past!  It was good to hear Eli on the radio after so long.  I know he's worked occasionally in one of the corners, but this is the first time I think he's been anchor since he moved to TV.  Great to have him back!  He's SO much better on radio than he was on TV.

But there sure was a ton of commericals on the radio as well.  I guess they finally figured out they can make more $$$$ for the radio broadcast just like TV.  Plus MRN is owned by NASCAR.  

NASCAR and Nextel:  Partners in Greed.    Sad

Desmond wrote the review of the TV broadcast while we were away this weekend and it should be on-line later today.  Thanks again, Desmond!

I didn't have quite the dismal view of the race as Sally, but I agree when things get strung out that much, it tends to get boring.  And gas mileage "races" are just jokes.  

But I was glad to see the points tighten up quite a bit this week.   Cheesy

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 05:40:03 PM »

I watched most of the race, but with the sound turned down, as usual.
  There were a few good moments, like Rusty's interview :lol: (I could tell Rusty was worked up so I turned up the sound). And I liked it when Matt passed both Ryan and another Dodge in one fell swoop after several laps of good racing. Then Ryan got back around Matt. They were racing for 6th at the time I think, and Fox did a pretty good job of covering it. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 08:10:25 PM »

Oh, gosh!  I fell asleep about 1/3 way in.  What I saw up to that point was just mediocre.  When I woke up for the last 30 or so laps, I was not surprised at all that not much had changed.  After watching the Busch race I knew gas mileage would be a problem.  Also, don't know what has gotten into Tony lately.  He is beginning to drive me crazy because I always have to defend him to Don.  We have this thing and even though I will admit Tony does wrong to most everyone else, I won't admit that to Don.  Just one of those spousal things.  :wink:
Sad that Bobby ran out of gas.  It would have been interesting to see a race for the finish.  But these cookie cutter tracks are all the same.  

I am looking forward to Desmond's review.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:19:04 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
We have this thing and even though I will admit Tony does wrong to most everyone else, I won't admit that to Don.  Just one of those spousal things.
What's Don's email address?  :twisted:

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 08:38:15 PM »

Lou, he doesn't do email and do you think I would tell you if he did?   :roll:
oldave
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 04:14:40 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
don't know what has gotten into Tony lately.  He is beginning to drive me crazy because I always have to defend him to Don.

I dunno, I thought the 20 team's spotter did a pretty good job defending the incident with Gordon - Tony literally did not know he was there, because the spotter was busy talking to Zippy about the damage after the 2 turned down on the 20.

Then I thought Jimmy Johnson did a pretty good job defending the 20 as well as the 2 on the incident with the wall.

John Darby said there was nothing wrong with Tony's driving at California, either.

Take all that as you will....

3 incidents involving the 20 this week...

20 gets into the 24, but the 20 didn't know he was there... spotter apologizes to the 24 team, admits it was his fault

2 turns left in front of the 20, causes damage...

20 gets aero loose and bumps the 2, making the 2 scrape the wall - driver behind said neither did anything wrong except race too hard to early.

Bad luck for the 20 this week, 'cause if it'd been any other car, there wouldn't be so much ink on it this week.

Sure, NASCAR had to sit Tony down and talk to him, 'cause he was getting out of hand.  They had their talk, and unfortunately, the 20 was just in the wrong place at the wrong time 3 times on Sunday.

In all the myriad articles this week about it, only a couple have mentioned what Jimmy Johnson said about the incident with the wall, and only a couple have quoted John Darby.  One begins to realize they're just writing for the sensationalism, not true journalism.
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 09:22:29 PM »

Dave, I think you just answered my question from the other post.  Thanks.
They (media and fans) just want to magnify anything he does or anything that happens near him and try to put him at fault.  I am not getting defensive and I hope no one takes it that way.  I guess some of us don't have tunnel vision like everyone else.  Aren't you amazed at how easily people can be conditioned to think certain ways.  BTW, I used to work with someone who if you asked them often in the morning if they felt okay and in between those remarks asked if they were feeling any better, usually by noon that person would go home sick.  What suggestions can do!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: