November 21, 2017, 05:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green-white-checkered; can we pick a format please?  (Read 696 times)
azbobbybooshay10
Veteran

« on: October 07, 2005, 09:38:38 AM »

I was really wondering why they ended up throwing the caution as the cars were in turns 3-4 after Kyle's crash. Everyone was well clear of the accident scene, and as we all know Kyle's car was still moving (didn't need to send out a rescue truck). Yet they threw the caution and "froze the field" while they were 3 wide, 6 deep, which made a BIG difference in where people finished. Kenseth had a good run on the outside and could have won by the time they got to the line. Edwards also said he could have gotten more spots if they had gone to the line.

Not to mention, NBC's guys passed it off like there were 15 cars in the middle of the track, and the cars were gonna be coming back around at 245 mph. It was the last lap, they would have lifted getting back to turn 1! I realize the rule is for safety, and I totally applaud NASCAR for doing that (no racing back to the line once the caution is out), but there was no hazard in this case.

And I hate the "delay" from when Kyle hit the wall and the caution came out. If you're gonna throw the caution, throw it right away! Don't wait 10 seconds, THEN throw it. Why the delay? Did David Hoots have to have a few seconds to shake up his magic 8 ball?

Hoots: Should I throw the caution?
Magic 8 ball: Signs point towards "Yes"
Hoots: OK, freeze the field, cautions out!

Could you imagine the uproar if during that delay, DJ lost the lead and Kenseth took it? What if he lost it during the last "scoring loop"? Kenseth gets ahead by .001 at the scoring loop? Then Kenseth wins the championship in Homestead by 3 points? But if they froze it when Kyle hit the wall, Kenseth was 3rd, and would have thus LOST the championhip by 7 points?

NASCAR can get itself in trouble by not being consistent in when they throw the caution on a GWC. I wish they would just pick a strategy and go with it. Either race back in a GWC, or freeze as soon as the crash happens.
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 07:31:09 PM »

I think they are supposed to freeze the field when there is a caution but I noticed it took a few seconds for them to throw the caution.  Not sure but I think they have to relay the info to do so from the booth so it takes a few seconds.  I also noticed that DJ raced all alone back to the start finish line and some of the other cars were still pretty speedy.  Not sure but I think this is the kind of action that make some fans swear there is a conspiracy in Nascar.  I know on Wind Tunnel Sunday night that Robin Miller referred to the fact that DJ was one of the biggest complainers about the Hendrick shock situation so Robin said since that was the case, 'DJ got the call' and now all is well once again in Nascar.  If they had thrown the flag immediately at the prior scoring loop then the race probably would have gone to Stewart.  But since they did wait, then DJ got ahead slightly by the next loop and since he was really running strong by then, I don't think anyone would have passed him.  JMO...

Again, IMO, I don't think the flagman is the one who really decides if the caution should be thrown in cases like that.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:03:43 PM »

First off, a huge welcome to Bobby!  Glad you could join us.  I think you'll add a wonderful perspective based on this post.  Your 8-ball analogy cracked me up!   :lol:   The way NASCAR delays making some of these decisions, you'd think that's what they use.  I'll write more after the weekend since we're here in Mansfield, OH (unfortunately in the rain) for the USAR race Sat. night.

Vivian,  I'm not sure if you know, but David Hoots is the race director.  I'm not really sure who the flagman is these days.  But they rarely mention Mr.Hoots on TV, so it's an easy mistake.

Again, welcome, Bobby!   :smt039

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:44:21 PM »

Welcome aboard, "Waterboy!"

I thought that the magic 8 ball reference was very funny. :lol:  :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: