November 23, 2017, 05:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Disputes NASCAR Ratings Claim  (Read 982 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 26, 2005, 06:40:14 PM »

Someone posted this article to my other racing group:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-09-22-nascar-baseball-ratings-claim_x.htm?csp=34

What a surprise...NA$CAR making inflated claims...

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:25:38 PM »

About time!  I'd seem some stats a while ago that support baseball's claims.  Seems Nascar never included the post season in the figures.  I think they have a point onattendence, too, if you count everyone attending regional games across the country.  If I remember properly, Nascar barely beats hockey for ratings if you take in the entire season of all the sports.

sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:06:19 PM »

wait a minute guys i'm not sure i'd trust baseball on anything! seriously these claims by baseball should be investigated thoughly especially considering that baseball isn't even a national sport anymore.one thing your can say about nascar is that at least all the races are televised, you can't say the same about baseball even the playoffs you can't see every game and some aren't even shown on free tv and i've been a fan of the "national pastime" all my life. Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
sally
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:33:25 AM »

Ron,
I have some stats that Nascar Scene used on July 7, 2005:

Regular Season Network Ratings

2001       2002       2003        2004
NFL               10.1        10.3       10.0       9.9
Nascar            5.5           5.5        5.3        5.6
MLB                2.6           2.5        2.7        2.7
NBA                3.0           2.6        2.4        n/a
NHL                 1.4           1.1        1.1        N/A

Championship Game(s)    Ratings   (2001-04)

Super Bowl                  41.1
World Series                12.8
NBA PLayoffs               11.5
Crapshoot                     4.6
Stanley Cup                  2.5

These are from the networks themselves, I think.   Makes MLB's claim look probable, and Nascar's look like more Fairy tales from Daytona.

Sally
(jw, you are my inspiration!)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 02:35:54 AM »

I started to post my solution to the problem NASCAR has with keeping viewers' attention during the Chase for the Nextel Cup, but I veered off into the racing, so I'll post it there instead.

Let's just say I now understand why NBC doesn't want to come back.  Schedule conflicts, a 27 percent increase, and lower TV ratings?  Who wants that?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 11:30:30 PM »

Cheesy sally remember that old saying lies damn lies and statistcs.those ratings don't tell the whole story or even half the story. for example here in new york last yr in the playoffs fox got caught misrepresenting their rating by the newark star ledger as a 5.3 when it really was 4.5 during the alcs for game 5.that tells me be very careful quoting  the neilson ratings because the networks have a vested interest in higher ratings.
sally
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:47:43 PM »

I'm not saying the stats ar egosple, but I think they're probably as valid as the ones Nascar uses...75 million fans, for instance?  I read that the ratings for Dover were down from last year's.  Guess even the excitement of drivers wrecking each other didn't help.  But "EVERYBODY LOVES THE CHASE"....right?

Sal
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »

yeah you got a point sally that figure of 75 million is a downright lie always has been. i'm just saying keep an open mind about this okay girl. Cheesy   Cheesy  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: