November 20, 2017, 06:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loudon Race  (Read 987 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 19, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »

Well, it was the typical "can't pass, one groove, follow-the-leader, strung out, hard wrecks" NH race...that is, up until those last few laps.  WOW!  I'll have to say that is one of the more exciting finishes in a while and I don't even like either of the guys who were racing for the win.  Thank goodness for that last piece of debris to tighten up the field for the last restart.  

It was quite funny that the antics and wrecks all day long were confined to those NOT in the Chase.  Maybe the cream does rise to the top.   :lol:

Michael pretty much admitted he took Robbie Gordon out.  As to Gordon's comments on TV, it was clear to me they were planned since it was SO much time after the wreck when TV talked to him.  So I don't blame TNT at all.  If they didn't talk to him, they'd be contributing to the sanitizing of the sport IMHO.

Robbie pretty much has done himself in to ever get in the top 35 now.  He was way back already, but when NA$CAR docks him 25 points, he'll never stand a chance.  All that said, I found the whole deal between him and Waltrip pretty funny.  Along with Kahne trying to wreck Kyle Busch with a car that didn't even have all four wheels on the ground anymore.   :lol:

I'm not trying to bash any driver, just stating the facts about Gordon and the top 35 in points.  Taking 25 points for cussing is still ridiculous, but the precedent has been set and he had to have known it and made his decision to say what he felt anyway.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:34 PM »

Like them or not, Tony and Ryan are both very talented drivers, and seeing them go at it was worth the price of admission to me.
 However, I agree with you Cheryl, that it would have been nice to see more tight racing earlier in the event. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:24:50 PM »

With the way both Kahne and Gordon used their wrecked cars, I swore I had switched channels and was now watching a demo derby!  :-)  Loved it..
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:32:02 AM »

It was an exciting finish for sure.  And I loved the way Tony kept coming back to the front when he had to.  But I think he passed Ryan with too much time left and then couldn't hold on to the lead.  He should have bided his time until 2 laps to go and then passed.  But one can't live on shoulda's and coulda's.  I like Ryan but felt bad for Tony.  It was a great finish and I would love to see all of them that close.

As far as all the wreck fests, it just goes to show how much pressure these drivers are under and how much they want to win.  I really did feel bad for Kurt.  But I expect he will rebound and do well the rest of the season.  Won't really surprise me if he takes the championship again.  But then, it determines who gets the superior equipment (yes, I do think that plays a part in the whole scheme of things) and which one performs under pressure and by smart moves will help determine which of the 5 Ford drivers gets a higher finish each race.  Remember, Kurt said they help each team out.  Personally, if I had a better car, I would not give it to another team driver unless I was ordered to.  In other words, if all is so great there, why is Kurt leaving?  Things just don't add up sometimes.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 04:03:26 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I like Ryan but felt bad for Tony.  

Well, one thing everyone seems to forget is that Tony kind of did himself in when he clipped the 8 car when it was coming in to pit.  At the time I thought that would probably hurt the car aerodynamically.  He probably did just enough aero damage to his fender that it caused his car to not to be as strong as it was prior to the damage.  That's probably part of why Newman was able to get back by him at the end.  I have to thank him for at least making a race out of it in the last few laps.   Cheesy

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »

Newman has stated that Tony's car was not "as well balanced" at the end, but that he, Newman, was suprised that he was able to stay with Tony after He passed him.  (I listened to Clair B today, Cheryl. Had a good interview of Ryan). Cheesy

William James
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 09:02:37 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

Well, one thing everyone seems to forget is that Tony kind of did himself in when he clipped the 8 car when it was coming in to pit.

Thanks, Cheryl. You writing that also reminded me of what else people seem to have overlooked or forgotten.  Actually, IMO, Jeff Gordon ran well all day but the media really emphasized that Jr did better with his new crew chief than Jeff did.  I think they also said he was not running that well and that was why he finished so far back.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong here...)  The way I saw it was he did run good (BTW, I am not a fan of his) but the fact that they pitted on that caution with only 20 to go for new tires when none of the other leaders did is what really did him in, IMO.  He just didn't make it back up through the field and to me that is what created his poor finish.  Anyone agree?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 09:22:23 PM »

I probably shouldn't admit this Vivian, but I was not paying the slightest bit of attention to Gordon at that point. :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 12:42:31 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
You writing that also reminded me of what else people seem to have overlooked or forgotten.  Actually, IMO, Jeff Gordon ran well all day but the media really emphasized that Jr did better with his new crew chief than Jeff did.  I think they also said he was not running that well and that was why he finished so far back.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong here...)  The way I saw it was he did run good (BTW, I am not a fan of his) but the fact that they pitted on that caution with only 20 to go for new tires when none of the other leaders did is what really did him in, IMO.  He just didn't make it back up through the field and to me that is what created his poor finish.  Anyone agree?

Yes, They covered that he came in and got four tires on the last stop and then I noticed on the ticker that he was mired back in the field.  But, I guess TV was so ga-ga over the Chase (and rightfully so the good finish), they seemed to have forgotten that was why he dropped back at the end.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

But, I guess TV was so ga-ga over the Chase (and rightfully so the good finish), they seemed to have forgotten that was why he dropped back at the end.

I think a lot of stuff will be overlooked for that very reason the rest of the season.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 11:14:07 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy another thing you guys missed was the great recovery by rusty wallace and matt kenseth especially rusty great job by those gentleman! Cheesy  Cheesy
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 12:46:12 AM »

I like Rusty, but he had to get a free pass to get that "great recovery."

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: