March 18, 2018, 09:06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Some Good Advice!  (Read 395 times)
« on: September 16, 2005, 01:13:26 AM »

This being an intelligent group of people, I thought I would come here to see if anyone had some help for me.

As you can imagine, getting a hotel room for the Bristol races is almost as tough as getting tickets.  I have to make reservations 50 weeks in advance, or as soon as the new schedule comes out.  I went online Sept. 7, and found a room at the Farifield Inn in Johnson City(20 miles from Bristol) for only $60 a night.  Obviously, someone at Marriott was asleep at the switch, and this was the usual, NOT the inflated race weekend rate.  Needless to say, I jumped on the room, and received a comfirming E mail the same evening.

When I got home today, Staci informed me that Fairfield had called, saying they REALLY had all the rooms for that weekend sold to a travel agent (a 'long standing' contract), and didn't have a room available, but would be 'happy' to help me find a room at another of their facilities.

This was their screw up, and I think they should honor the reservation.  Anyone out there have any ideas on how to twist their arm to make them come thru?  Should I contact the BBB?  The local Chamber of Commerce?  Homeland Security?  (They have 10 months to get there, after all).  I would appreciate any ideas any of you intelligent, twisted people out there have.

Lou, I figure you should have some ideas!

Thanks, everyone!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 01:44:03 AM »

That is a tough one.  First, I would contact them by phone at their actual physical location and tell them you have a confirmation number and tell them the price quoted. Then you could ask where their other faciltities are and how close they are to the track compared to the one you have confirmed reservations at and if the quality and location of the rooms are of equal value and would be the same cost they quoted and confirmed for you.  Then compare what they have to tell you.  If indeed it is of equal value and the class of hotel/inn was the same distance and price of the other one, I would probably consider that option.  If not, and they want more $$$ for a place farther away, then I would ask for the manager (insist on the manager) and request he/she resolve the problem with your confirmed reservations.  Based on the fact they are that close to Bristol, then I would think the rooms would have already been blocked for next year if indeed someone had a contract for them.  If he refuses or can't, then you could tell him although it is not what you really want to do, you will be contacting the BBB and all the local newspapers and television stations and give them copies of your confirmed email reservations to see if they can help come to a resolution of the situation as a last resort.  Mention the fact that the publicity from that might be embarrassing to them locally.  Sometimes the C of C is not good help as they are promoting the tourism for the race and they may not be that open minded about your situation.   Keep a sweet tone in your voice and try to come across as willing to negotiate while not backing down.  Sometimes playing a helpless female will help.  Of course you could also throw in a sob story about how you are taking a long lost cousin or someone like that and you really, really don't want to disappoint that person.  If they still won't do anything, then you could also ask if they have a written contract with the travel agency or ask if it is just a verbal understanding that they will take all the rooms each year.  I am sure you could come up with the right wording and tone of voice for all of this.  Other than that, I can't think of any other way to handle it.

Good Luck!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 03:32:47 AM »

Thanks, Viv.  I intend to see what they have to offer, but I'm skeptical that it's going to be a 'good deal'.  I really don't want to let them off the hook if I can help it.  Maybe if I mention that I "write about racing on the internet" and, if I'm not happy, I can spread the word that way also...?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: