November 23, 2017, 11:27:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caution downer  (Read 6499 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2004, 03:23:07 AM »

vivian, where did you find the rumor of the trucks not finishing green, website-wise? thanks!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2004, 03:51:28 AM »

RouschFan:   I heard it tonight on Totally Nascar, too.  Can't remember where I read it.  Somewhere when I was on Jayski, I think.
Sally
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2004, 04:15:31 AM »

okay. thanks sally! appreciate it!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2004, 05:19:50 AM »

great article from SPEED TV's ray dunlap: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/10814/.

sally
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2004, 11:17:31 AM »

Right on Ray!!!  I think he summed it up perfectly!  Everyone ready to send E mail to Nascar to let them know how disgusted we were?
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 12:28:48 PM »

Wow!  I'm really impressed that Ray wrote this article.  It's nice to see someone associated with Fox come out and tell it like it is publically.  He made it clear he is a race fan first.  I get so sick of TV and the drivers telling us what the fans like and want to see (i.e., wrecks and big pack racing at restrictorplate tracks).  I really think the drivers are so out of touch with the real fans, they don't have a clue what we like.  I've liked Ray from his ESPN days and he seems to still tell it like it is even though he's left for Speed/Fox.  

Great article!
Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »

Correcting an earlier post, the last four Busch Series races have ended under caution.  The last ending under green was on March 20 at Darlington.  

The Bristol race also had a yellow-checkers finish, but Clint Bowyer did not cause that caution unlike the others.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 03:54:23 PM »

I'm reading an article from the Baltimore Sun now and this is a quote from Jimmy Johnson about how it ain't really racing anymore anyway.  Personally I think NASCAR's "advertised distance" argument has always been a bunch of crap.  If they make changes to the G/W/C in the truck series, that will really be sad since that's what all Saturday night short tracks do.  Of course, they ALSO go back to the last lap running order when a caution comes out.  Here's the quote:

"And driver Jimmie Johnson said that, though tradition may hold races be run at an advertised length, the sport has crossed a line into the entertainment zone, and that means it needs to act accordingly.

"Looking at our new points system, it's not based on racing anymore," Johnson said. "I would think there needs to be a change in how races finish so they are pleasing to our corporate sponsors and our fans. I'd anticipate a change next year. "

I guess he doesn't understand this entertainment aspect is not pleasing to most of the fans.  At least not us oldtimers.

Here's the entire artilce if you are interested:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.nascar28apr28,0,5010640.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 08:56:11 PM »

Good articles 17RoushFan and Cheryl.  I think I will email Nascar.
Also Patty Kay at http://insiderracingnews.com/PK/042804.html had a great article.
Now, not to bash any driver, but back to race interviews: Mark Martin said it was no race.  Was that because he delibertly just hung around the back for the first 2/3's of the race and then went to the front and wound up losing and was then whining or what was his real beef??
sally
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »

Viv,
    Mark hates restrictor plate tracks, and has never made any bones about it.   I think that's why...he doesn't think 3 wide nose to tail is a race.  It's more of a chess match.  He does have a point.

I thought Ray Dunlap's article was great!  It's nice to know that SOME people got it that the fans were mad about the WAY the race ended, not WHO won.  Even Larry Mac said the same thing last night on Totally Nascar!  Coulda knocked me over with a feather!
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »

Vivian, I'm a Roush fan, particularly the 6,99 and 17. After seeing your post, I went back and checked what Mark said, and he did say "that wasn't much of a race to me".
  I believe what he was saying is, as
Sally said, he still dislikes plate races and that he was glad that he didn't wreck & that no one got hurt.
   He also said that while his car was good, the top 5 or so Chevs just were too fast for him, all day. So I don't think he was whining, but just re stating his dislike for plate races.
   BTW, I don't mean to be too defensive here, but since you asked, I thought i'd check it out.
   see ya! Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2004, 11:04:07 PM »

Thanks, Sally & Old Hot Rodder!  And, no you were not too defensive.   Cool Same as my intent was not to bash or criticize.  I just don't understand why some drivers like Mark, Jarrett, B. Labonte do hang to the back until toward the end of the race.  I would think that would make it more possible for them to be caught up in the big one and I would think they would want to avoid that situation.  I know a lot of drivers hate the restrictor plate races but then so many drivers just love to compete and race all race long with other cars and they say it is fun (not necessarily the plate tracks) to be back and forth with another car(s) for a while.

IMO this has been one of the greatest threads we have had and I know it still is not over.  What do all of you think?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2004, 01:12:59 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Thanks, Sally & Old Hot Rodder!  And, no you were not too defensive.   Cool Same as my intent was not to bash or criticize.  I just don't understand why some drivers like Mark, Jarrett, B. Labonte do hang to the back until toward the end of the race.  

There are several of them who have been using that tactic at Talladega for the last several years.  Ever since they put the rules package in where you can easily go from the front to the back and climb back up the front again.  One of the last times we were there, I remember DJ, Bobby, Johnny B, and Stewart running in the back to try and stay out of trouble.  Problem was, someone mid-pack wrecked and Bobby and Stewart ended up getting collected and taking each other out.  Guess that plan didn't work to well for them.   :wink: But in this case it seemed to work for Jarrett at least as he ended up near the front by the end, I think.  

I'm not a fan of Martin, but in his defense, he was leading the race right after the first caution.  I specifically remember that.  But he got passed pretty quickly.Just because TV doesn't show drivers mid-field doesn't mean anything.  We know they only show the leaders 75% of the time.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2004, 01:22:28 AM »

It seems to me that, these days, it's only the younger guys who think racing at Daytona and 'Dega is fun.  Can't say I blame them.  I can't imagine what it must be like running in packs that tight all day long.  Gives me a headache just to watch!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: