November 20, 2017, 03:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Deal?  (Read 885 times)
sally
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:13:04 PM »

Just read that Nascar/ISC and NBC are not making much progress on negotiating the new TV deal.  Seems NBC doesn't think kindly about Baby Brian's proposed 27% increase in the cost of airing the races.  Amazing.  Someone may actually say "no" to Nascar's highway robbery?  If they can't well the ads to cover their costs, it doesn't make much sense to pay even more for the 'privilege', does it?

Sal  :-D
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »

I just heard about this on XM as well.  If you ask me, it doesn't bode welll for the fans.  Cause Claire B. Lang reported that TNT may seek their own deal with NA$CAR.  If that happens, we'll see even less of the race than we do on NBC and Fox. :evil:

I'd like to think this means ESPN might get back in the game, but I'm not sure they'll want to be extorted for that extra 27% either.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:36:08 PM »

And for the additional 27 percent, how many more commercials is that?

Maybe JW can do the calculations for us.

P.S. Three to go!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »

Sometimes it seems like I don't look forward to racing as I used to.  I used to plan everything around the race on Sunday and even Saturdays.  Always had to get the recorder set in advance and make sure the tape was okay and the times were right.  Would review it all once I got it set.  Now I just seem to catch it if I am there and not worry if I don't.  I think a lot of this attitude has to do with the tv coverage even though the racing lacks competition now.  TNT, FOX, NBC ---if they are there fine, if not that is fine also.  I may or may not watch.  It is iffy with me now...
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:34:49 AM »

Desmond,

If NASCAR gets what they want,  more commerical time will be the result.

Example: Using 60 minutes as a base number, a 27% increase could result in over 16 additional minutes of commericals to make up the cost.
The number will vary depending on rates & actual inventory time for the race.
sally
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »

Let's hope that the TV people grow the cojones to dig in their heels.  After all, who would suffer the most if Nascar wasn't shown on TV?  Since the networks say they are still losing money airing the races....

Sal
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 05:38:55 PM »

Quote from: "jw"
Using 60 minutes as a base number, a 27% increase could result in over 16 additional minutes of commericals to make up the cost.

That's great. :lol:   Keep this up, and we'll see more of the drivers in commercials than in the races themselves.  And we'll forget how they actually make a living. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: