November 23, 2017, 04:36:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larry McReynolds  (Read 2611 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« on: September 06, 2005, 12:52:14 AM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/4826682

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:26:09 AM »

I don't dare even start.

:smt021

Sally
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:35 PM »

Yeah like larry mac said let us all look on the bright side of nascar.

Just joking. :lol:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »

I know there are still a lot of good things about NASCAR.  It's just that the actual racing is so much less competitive than what attracted me to the sport back in 1988.  It's just hard to swallow all the comments by NASCAR and the media about how much better it is today than it used to be...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 04:23:10 PM »

You know, I kinda like Larry Mac, poor grammar and all. This piece is unfortunate, I think, because I believe that perhaps Nascar should listen from time to time to the criticism, and try to make some improvements, LIKE BRING BACK DARLINGTON ON LABOR DAY, (sorry, that is one of my pet peeves).
 It is Nascar's attitude toward at least some of us which really bugs me. You know, it is the "well, we'll give them what we want to do and they'll get used to it eventually" approach that irritates me so much. So I guess it fits that Larry should be teling us to take a different perspective. Oh well,.... :x

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »

Welcome to the darkside. :smt011  :shock:  Tongue  Cool  :twisted:  :smt023
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 07:18:07 PM »

I wonder if nascar has a darkside they are hiding from all of us?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:50:53 PM »

No, no darkside, Bryan, everything is peachy keene--just ask Larry Mac. :-D

William James
sally
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:39:43 AM »

When did they start trying to HIDE it?
Sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 03:55:10 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
When did they start trying to HIDE it?
Sal
:-D  :-D

William James
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 04:55:37 AM »

In defense of Larry Mac, I would much rather watch a sport that is virtually drug-free than some of the sports that allow them nowadays. NASCAR is one of the the rare sports where people aren't afraid to pray publicly, and drivers aren't always complaining about how much money they aren't getting, etc.

I am sorry if I am getting on a major tangent here, but Cheryl, as much as I don't want to agree with NASCAR on the Labor Day switch, Darlington cannot accomodate much more than 60-70,000 seats, while California can obviously reach the 100,000 mark. Frankly, this is what corporate America is. I hate seeing traditional tracks go, particularly Rockingham, but that's how it goes.

I would like to see NASCAR put the race on at night at Darlington and just get the Southern 500 name back. Personally, I like the day-to-night races where endurance, the sun, and adjusting to the changing conditions. It's too bad they can't get more seats at the South Carolina track.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 12:47:11 PM »

Quote from: "17RoushFan"
Darlington cannot accomodate much more than 60-70,000 seats, while California can obviously reach the 100,000 mark.

Not to be disagreeable either  Cheesy  but if they can put 160,000 seats around the 1/2 mile at Bristol, they can put that many (or more) around the 1.33 mile at Darlington.  ISC just chooses not to do it.  

But I can definitely agree with you that it is a "corporate" move when making money is the only goal of ISC these days instead of good, close racing.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »

I agree, Cheryl.  Nascar has a great 'planned obsolescence' program for many of the older tracks.  They buy them up (Martinsville), limit making improvements or updating, minimize  promoting them, they blame the tracks for not 'selling out'.  This is how they justify moving races to the newer, bigger (identical, boring) tracks with lots of corporate suites.  After all, they have to have dates available for the new tracks in NYC and the northwest, right?

sally
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 08:06:32 PM »

So, Cheryl, are you suggesting that SMI seems to care more about the fans and the quality of its racing? Bruton Smith decides to "levigate" Charlotte in addition to the action-packed Bristol Motor Speedway. Plus, Atlanta has lots of side-by-side racing.

By the way, didn't ISC and SMI merge on something the other day?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 08:24:16 PM »

So, Cheryl, are you suggesting that SMI seems to care more about the fans and the quality of its racing? Bruton Smith decides to "levigate" Charlotte in addition to the action-packed Bristol Motor Speedway. Plus, Atlanta has lots of side-by-side racing.

Haha, I'm doing more than suggesting it...

You know 10 years ago, I really believed Bruton Smith was the anti-Christ (when he combined with Bob Bahre to shut down NW);  however, in the last few years, I've come to believe he cares a lot more about fans than Brian France and ISC.  Starting with ISC's "cooler restrictions" to "protect the fans" and really only result in earning more $$$ for ISC concessions.  Remember when Bruton offered a free cooler to the folks coming to TX after that?  Along with still allowing fans to bring in whatever they were allowed pre-9/11.  But I'll get off my cooler soapbox...I'm much too short to be up on something so small.   Wink

But other than the levigating debacle this May at Charlotte, I do truly think Bruton's actions have spoken volumes about being fan-friendly at his tracks.  With the number of improvements he's made at Charlotte, Atlanta, and Bristol over the last 10 years.  Yeah, he's earning himself even more profit, but how hard is it to actually GIVE a little something to the common folks for their hard earned dollars?  In comparison, ISC adds more corporate suites or high rent camping areas (new infield at Daytona).  The average person can't afford that stuff or benefit from it.

By the way, didn't ISC and SMI merge on something the other day?

On my other racing list, I heard they merged on the consolidation of souvenir sales at these track "malls."  I mentioned more on my thoughts about that whole deal over in the chit-chat area.

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: