November 17, 2017, 06:45:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Special Old Truck  (Read 2371 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: August 19, 2005, 11:03:51 PM »

Here is the short version:
  In 1937 (yes, before even I was born) my paternal grandfather bought a new Studebaker Coupe Express pick up truck. It was yellow, and he had it when he died in 1967.
  About 5 years later, my father brought the truck to our part of Ohio and left it with a friend who truly was an auto restoration genius. That friend gave it to a lifelong friend of his who grew up here, but then (and now) lives in California, who began to restore it. The truck was VERY rough.
  My father and the friend are both deceased, but I checked into the whereabouts of the truck about 4 years ago. It was in Southern California about 30 minutes from my son's house.
  Turns out that the truck (which went to Ca. in 1977) was about 75 per cent completed. I struck a deal a couple of months ago and went to Ca.a couple of weeks ago to finalize the deal.
  The truck should be on its way to Ohio w/in 24 hours from now. It is the same truck Grandpa bought in 1937.
  Needless to say, I am very excited about this whole deal. Can you imagine my grandsons having their Great great grandfather's truck??
  I'll try to post some pics and give you folks the link after the truck arrives.
 Thanks for asking, Vivian. Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 01:47:06 AM »

What a fantastic story!  Since old iron is a big deal around here, I appreciate how great it is to find that truck!  Can't wait to see some pics.

Sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »

Boy am I happy now. The truck finally arrived at my place early this morning. It made the trip from Ca. just fine. Now I'll get to the finishing touches (and the real expensive part) as soon as I can. Pics will be sent w/in a week.
 Thanks,    D ick Cheesy  Cheesy

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 04:06:13 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Boy am I happy now. The truck finally arrived at my place early this morning. It made the trip from Ca. just fine. Now I'll get to the finishing touches (and the real expensive part) as soon as I can. Pics will be sent w/in a week.

Way cool, Dick!  I'm sorry I missed your original post for some reason (I think it was posted when we were in Bristol).  Glad you gave us an update.  I can't wait to see the pictures!  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 05:37:30 PM »

I'll probably have to e mail them to you, Cheryl, cause I'm still pretty ignorant about posting such things.  :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I'll probably have to e mail them to you, Cheryl, cause I'm still pretty ignorant about posting such things.  :-D

No problem!  Me too!  Maybe I can get Lou to put them on a webpage and we can link to that from the forum.  How does that sound?

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:33:23 AM »

Don't forget, we'll want to see before AND after pictures!

sally
TexasDeb
Sophmore

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 01:11:00 AM »

Wow!  I missed the original post too.  It's fantastic to have a piece of family history come to life.  I'll look forward to the pictures.

Deb
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 03:15:02 PM »

Thanks, gang. I just learned how to scan pics into my home computer a couple of weeks ago. I have 1 "before" pic. I'll scan some current pics in a few days and try to send them on.
  See ya  Cheesy

William James
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »

Can't wait to see the pics!

I am restoring a car of my own at the moment..  1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring..  Can't wait to get it on the road!  I wish my car had the same sentimental value yours did but it keeps me busy (between the derby car building - LOL)..

Craig
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 12:02:15 AM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
I am restoring a car of my own at the moment.

Putting a roll cage it it and removing the glass to make it "Derby-safe" does not constitute restoring a car :-)

:smt021

Lou

derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:49:41 PM »

LOL.. Roll cage?

Nah we don't use those.. But we do run bars behind the seats so the car doesn't become a banana from the passenger side in.. :-)

And no way would I derby that 72..  It's way too good for that!  :-)

http://www.angelfire.com/on/IDerby857/satellite.html
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 12:57:06 AM »

Here is a link to see Dick's old truck!

http://eshare.hpphoto.com/start.asp?JobID=9fe1422d-c3e8-472f-9447-2ba024989a8b

Lou

shawn
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:44:47 AM »

Very cool truck and its neat how you were able to to get it back
Noticed that the dent on rf fender has been fixed Smiley

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 05:55:40 AM »

It looks beautiful, Dick!  Congratulations! Cheesy  Cheesy

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: