November 18, 2017, 12:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Despain takes over  (Read 1860 times)
sally
« on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:53 AM »

Read that Dave despain will be taking over for Allen on IWC in September...5th or 12th.  The article aslo sais they will be using more graphics and in car audio.   And Brian Vickers will be adding his perspective and replacing Johnny Benson.  In other words, they will be completely change the format of the show.  Despain has said he will be thinking of the 'proper questions to ask'.  Sounds as if they're going to 'improve'  the show just as they (Chris Long) did the now cheesy Nascar Nation.  This guy must have taken a page out of Baby Brian's handbook.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:24:14 PM »

Sally, Dave and Brian will join the show on September 12.

I am concerned about the changes, especially Dave in for Allen.  Dave's favorite form of motorsports isn't NASCAR, but motorcycle racing.  I understand that he has been critical of NASCAR and its drivers in the past, and he certainly does not have the appreciation for both that Allen does.

And why choose Brian?  Is the better reason because he is a current Cup driver, unlike Johnny Benson, or because he is only 21 years old?  Like everything else in NASCAR, think youth first.

P.S. The show will feature lots of in-car views, according to Speed Channel officials, another way the show will look different than in the past.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 05:06:56 PM »

You know, I really, really liked Wind Tunnel when it was on Mon - Thurs nights the first few years.  I taped it if I would not be home to watch it.  I think I may have missed 3 to 5 of those shows total.  It was the best show about racing (all) at the time.  Now it has turned into something that I have watched this season maybe 3 times for various reasons.

I doubt (even though I like Dave normally) that I will ever watch the new Inside Cup.  The shows they are giving us these days have made me totally turn away from Speed TV.  I will watch quals and the truck races but that is it for me where Speed is concerned.  I really hope they enjoy their new audiences.  Every time I see that ad for Texas Hardtails where he drops the phone in the toilet, I just shake my head at what that channel has become.  

Please remember, this is just my opinion and the way I feel about the 'new' Speed TV.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 06:45:07 PM »

By some good fortune, I've been spared that commercial, Vivian. I don't watch Speed much at all anymore, except for an occasional race on tape (like a Hooters or whatever).
 Vivian, are you beginning to lose interest in Nascar too?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
By some good fortune, I've been spared that commercial, Vivian. I don't watch Speed much at all anymore, except for an occasional race on tape (like a Hooters or whatever).
 Vivian, are you beginning to lose interest in Nascar too?

Hey Dick!

Glad have you around again!  I meant to mention it yesterday.  We've missed your posting the last week or so.  I know I don't plan to watch IWCR after Despain takes over for Bestwick.  Though I like Johnny, I think Vickers will be a lot more talkative and add a nice perspective, without being as controversial as some...

And speaking of Hooters Racing, I'm adding two articles I wrote from interviews I did with two of their top drivers to the main Speedcouch page soon.  Cause MY interest in NASCAR sure is dwindling rapidly...  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »

Hi Cheryl,
 I was in California last week, doing primarily the Grandfather thing, but there is a side story, auto related, which I will share with you soon.
  I actually saw more of the IRL race at KY. than the Cup race, and, frankly, the IRL race was pretty good.
 Later,...

William James
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 09:20:10 PM »

Okay, Dick...tell us about that Studebaker.  Start a thread on Chit Chat...Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S.  I missed you too Wink
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:11:57 AM »

You know that texas hardails show that 1 person on here mentioned.

What do they call  those people who wear rainbow colors all the time hippy's?

Or do they call em something else?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 04:13:25 AM »

Reason why i ask that last question is cause everytime i see that texas hardtails commercial the main charcter the hillbillyt or whatever he is supposed to be is wearing rainbow colored or tyedyed t shirts.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 07:16:29 PM »

Bryan, based on the few commercials I've seen, I think they call that guy "weird", or maybe just "strange". :-D

William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »

Strange is an understatement for him. :lol:
sally
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 01:43:19 AM »

Or crude, rude, disgusting....

Sal :smt120
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 03:32:43 AM »

He is all 3 of those.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 03:12:44 PM »

Okay, can we knock off the discussion about something totally unrelated to racing in this thread?  If you want to discuss that show, please go to "General chit-chat."

Thanks,
Mean Mommie coming to you live from the Bristol campground. Cheesy

Remember, I'm still watching you.   :lol:
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »

Back to the Inside Cup issue.  I will miss Johnny if I do watch it.  He is a really settled type person and being the age I am, I appreciate that aspect of any show.  He is also knowledgeable.  I watched the tape last night and as usual I feel that Mikey tried to make the show all about him and his problems/accomplishments.  JMHO....

Just a feeling about the Wind Tunnel on Sunday nights, I feel it is too much for Sunday viewers since the whole day has already been about racing and what he will be reporting on.  Most viewers are Nascar fans so they just have had a full day and need to do other stuff since the race is now over and they know all that has happened.  Again, JMO...because I can only dedicate so much time to racing on Sundays.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: