November 23, 2017, 11:25:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truck Race from Bristol  (Read 889 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 26, 2005, 06:28:37 PM »

I saw mention of this over on thatsracin.com by Mike Harper today and it reminded me I wanted to pass along what I heard on the scanner at the track Wednesday night.  

During the truck race Wednesday night, mostly I listened to MRN on the scanner.  Mostly because there was too much blabbering by the SPEED booth.  But at one point near the end of the race, I switch to the SPEED feed on my scanner.  It was during the last caution and I thought I recognized the voice of Sam Flood (NBC's producer).  He seemed confused as to what they were doing during a somewhat long caution.  Eventually, he said "we're going to break and won't make it back for the restart."  I just could NOT believe this blase` attitude towards the viewers at home!  There were less than 6 laps to go in the race and SPEED decides to just not bother getting back for the final restart?Huh?  This was when Todd Bodine had a chance of catching Mike Skinner for the lead.  I read in the article by Harper today that they didn't return until 4 laps to go.  This is absurd on a short track where the laps are run in about 15 seconds.  

Ever since SPEED took over the Truck Series broadcasts, I've been disapointed with much of what they do, especially the excessive commercials and missed restarts, but this was the worst, hearing it live at the track.  Then, to add insult to injury (for the viewers at home), the director/producer tells the broadcast team that they'll have about 30 minutes "to fill" after the race ends.  So they knew the race was running faster than they expected and they still couldn't get back for the final restart?Huh? :smt013

Sorry for the rant, but this really, really bugged me!

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 08:00:17 PM »

Yeah i noticed they missed them going back to green flag too cheryl.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:10:42 PM »

Although they want high ratings, I still think fans at home don't matter to any of them.  They talk about it and know we are loyal to our drivers, makes or owners so why bother?  We are just a by product of a means to their ends - whatever it may be.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:12:57 PM »

I know that things are Money driven these days, but wouldn't you think that the networks, the producers and all the other folks involved would have a bit more pride in their product that this type of shoddy work?
 Is this the best they can do? Or is this attitude just the result of long term contracts, and being a bit too secure in what you are doing? :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »

Yeah that's all it's about these days unfortuanately is money or dollars and cents.
sally
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »

I din't get to watch the truck race, but find I'm not surprised at all about the attitude.  Much as TV (and Mascar) pay lip service to the 'wonderful fans' they have done little of late, to make anyone think they mean it.  The problem with 'great fans' is they assume (correctly) that no matter how badly they produce the show, how little they understand (or care) about what they put out over the air, we dumb schmucks will still tune in.  It's obvious that a race is simply a framework for presenting commercials.  Chopping it up to the point where it becomes senseless, or missing the important moments, makes no difference to them at all.  These are the people that have the future of racing broadcasts in their hands.  Isn't that special?

Sal
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:54 PM »

In fact, I noticed at least two missed restarts in last Wednesday night's telecast.  And if Sam Flood really admitted that the network would miss the restart, someone should call him in on that.  He has just laid bare the condescending attitude that the TV networks have nowadays.

Maybe Cheryl should summarize all of our posts and observations to create an article for the main page.  It should be called, "ground rules for the ideal broadcast" or something like that.

P.S. Two to go!  (And I didn't miss the restart. :lol: )

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: