November 21, 2017, 09:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rusty  (Read 1258 times)
sally
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:48:21 AM »

Did anyone else catch the interview with Rusty during the rain delay for Quals?  He said that one reason Kurt wanted to drive the #2 is because it was one of the most popular cars in the track.  He felt he couldn't get more popular staying with Roush, and that getting into the #2 would make him more popular (thus increasing his souvenir sales?).  Then, yesterday they show the #97 souvenir trailer with a 50% off sign hanging out front.  Makes me wonder if Jack has decided to let Kurt go ahead to the Penske car, doesn't it?

sal
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:24:30 PM »

Come on, already! Does Kurt think that his popularity, or lack thereof, has anything to do with the car number? If so, why not the six car? (I have an answer for that one, but my momma said......
 In any event, another sign of the influence of the almighty dollar.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:47:07 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Then, yesterday they show the #97 souvenir trailer with a 50% off sign hanging out front.  Makes me wonder if Jack has decided to let Kurt go ahead to the Penske car, doesn't it?

This happens about this time every year, whenever a driver or team announce a change or the designs are getting old.  They were selling Sterling Marlin stuff at significantly reduced prices at June in Dover.  I knew then that the writing was on the wall about him staying with that team.  We picked up three Coors Light seat cushions at $5 a piece.  Cheaper than the generic ones there.  These things normally sell for 8-10 dollars.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 04:58:45 PM »

Exactly my point.  Wouldn't the bargain prices indicate that Rousch isn't planning on having Kurt there for next year in the 97 car, with all the sponsors?

Sal
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:29:59 PM »

That will make for an interesting experience.  Remember what he did to Jimmy Spencer in 2003.  He even warned Jimmy what was about to happen!

The purists among the NASCAR fans will probably never forgive Kurt for that, no matter what car he drives.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
That will make for an interesting experience.  Remember what he did to Jimmy Spencer in 2003.  He even warned Jimmy what was about to happen!

The purists among the NASCAR fans will probably never forgive Kurt for that, no matter what car he drives.

That was my point, Desmond. Bless his heart, Kurt has created a real love him or hate him fan base, and he could be driving the 6.7 car for all that the number matters.  :-D

William James
Smallblock bored
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 02:01:49 AM »

Let me see if I understand this, first I must say that i'll take all that is said as fact and not speculation. He thinks that he will be in a position to gain in popularity what he has not as the current champion in a car that was made famous by someone other than himself. That sounds like a load of stuff! If I were the current champ and was hitting the stride and the hunt the following year I would have my hands on the wheel, my eyes on the track and my damn feet on the ground, not to mention my head not anywhere that is normaly required by common curtisy to have clothing on. I think the guy may have a bit of an ego problem, he could be making the 97 famous for years to come and age with grace and refinment like a nice wine or cheese. I think from a standpoint of integrity the reasons that are discussed if true are a big mistake. After all ol' Russel is not stealing any shows with that famous #2 at this point in time. But what ever a man thinks that is what is being as is as is is.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »

Okay, guys and gals!  I KNEW I should've stopped the direction of this thread sooner.  But for some reason, I thought you'd wear yourselves out.  Please reread the site rules about all drivers deserving our respect because they put their lives on the line for our entertainment.  

I don't know how many times I have to ask some of you to keep your driver opinions off the site.  

If this thread doesn't stop it's current direction, it will be deleted.

Thanks,
Mean Mommie at Bristol
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »

Ok, Ok. Sorry, Mommie. :oops:  Have a good time at Bristol. I hear that the party has long since begun. Cheesy

William James
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 06:10:14 PM »

Read everyone's posts with interest.  I really need to do an input.  Cheryl, I do hope what I write is acceptable.

All the fuss about Kurt's popularity or lack thereof seems to overlook one small/large detail.  Regardless of whether a person is a fan or not, one must not overlook the fact of Kurt's skills as a racer.  He isn't in the Cup series because of personality but because an owner and many sponsors thought of him as a qualified and adequate driver who could give a good interview if needed and wanted him in a specific car.  Any good business works this way.  JMO....again!   Wink
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 06:37:28 PM »

Thank you, Vivian, for putting things in perspective!   :-D

As they say, Kurt is a "wheel-man" and there's no denying that.  I'm pretty much ambivalent about him personally, but you cannot deny the talent.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:54:18 PM »

I am not a Kurt fan but I do recognize talent.  There are a lot of good drivers out there and I try not to be biased based on like or dislike of a person (except in the case of DW  :-D ) and I think part of enjoying auto racing is recognizing the talents of some of the drivers.  You have to give them credit for their expertise even if you would rather not listen to or watch them.    :smt101
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »

Amen, ladies! Cheesy
Kurt is as good as any driver, even J Gordon, who, in my opinion, sets the "modern era" standard.
 My point is (was) simply that if Kurt thinks he can gain acceptance/popularity vicariously by taking over Rusty's ride, then Kurt still has a lot to learn. And it was not a slam against Kurt, as such, but against the money dominated system which has taken over Nascar.
  OK, I guess that old horse has been whipped enough! :-D

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: