November 24, 2017, 04:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN & NASCAR  (Read 484 times)
Vivian
« on: August 17, 2005, 01:25:08 AM »

Last night I watched as Bob Costas filled in for Larry King and talked with Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Petty and Kasey Kahne.  It was interesting to say the least.  I was especially touched by some of the things Rusty said and Jeff continues to give very tasteful interviews and insights to his feelings on things that are happening.

One thing Kyle Petty said kind of hit me the wrong way.  They were talking about how NASCAR is so popular now and getting to be bigger all the time.  Although I can't remember the exact question which Jeff answered very well, Kyle kind of put me, as a longtime fan, in a category (IMO) that I think Brian has put us in.  He said something to the effect that about 20,000 'core' fans used to go to Charlotte and now there are over 200,000.  He said that the 20,000 'core' fans may be disenchanted with NASCAR, but they have 180,000 new ones to think about.  To me this was an insult and at this point, I think I am disenchanted with Mr. Petty.  I did write it down as he said it and rewatched the tape this morning to make sure I got it right when I posted it.

Bob took 4 calls during the show with questions for the drivers.  It was amazing that 3 of the callers were female.  One question was for Rusty and the lady asked his happiest and worst memories during his years of racing.  He responded as the happiest being winning the Championship and his first race at Bristol.  His worst day, without a doubt, he said was the day Dale Earnhardt got killed.  I knew it hit him hard but he just reiterated how bad.  And he once again stated that is not why he is retiring.

It was a pretty good show actually.  I wish I had known before hand that it was going to be on so I could have posted it and my fellow forum members could have watched.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »

Thanks for the summary, Vivian.  I also watched clips of the show the next day on ESPN Hollywood.

I am disappointed that Kyle Petty has seemingly turned into a NASCAR puppet.  If anyone should stand up for tradition and values within the sport--and against the monstrosity it has become--it should be him, the son of the seven-time champion "King."

P.S. Rusty said he did not retire due to Dale Earnhardt's death.  Excuse me, but hasn't he said the opposite before, at least that the death was a contributing factor? :roll:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »

When the media reports something, I normally don't take it to heart unless I hear a driver say something.

Rusty once apologized for coming across the wrong way with the media concerning Earnhardt's death and did mention that what he said came across as if he was retiring due to that.  However, since then I have heard him say in 2 interviews that that is not the reason and since I heard him state that Monday night on CNN to Bob Costas, I tend to believe him rather than what some media have reported.  I think sometimes wording can really be interpreted totally wrong.

Also, on some other show, maybe Trackside last week, he also stated that once he said he was retiring, then retiring from Cup it will be for him.  He has said he will not come back another year just to fill a seat.  I really admire him for sticking to his guns on that one.  In the interviews with him that I have seen, he seems really upbeat and happy about his decisions and won't let the pressure of a vacant seat make him change his mind.  I truly believe he means what he says.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: