November 18, 2017, 05:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caution downer  (Read 6468 times)
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 01:53:14 AM »

Hey 17roushfan, I like Kenseth as well, but I think he invented the "get that damn bottle off the top of my car" move.  Doesn't he have a deal with Gateraide?

Lou.  Is it really that bad at Talladega?  My wife has a sister about 6 hours away in New Orleans.  She wants to go see her and I told her that the only way I would go that far down south (New Brunswick is beside Maine for those who do not know) is if I could go to the nearest race, which is Talladega.  But if what you are saying is true, I couldn't enjoy the race.  I'd be scared to get a Bud can in the side of the head!

As far as the finish goes, basically what everyone is saying is what I was getting at earlier.  The fans cheered liked crazy when Jr. looked like he was in the lead and then all hell broke loose when NASCAR put Gordon in the lead.  Clear as mud.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 02:52:09 AM »

ha, ha, okay. that's right, he is in that one commercial with gatorade, so that makes sense. after yesterday, maybe he should knock over the powerade again!  Cheesy

so much for the roush engines at restrictor plate tracks!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
texasracefan
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 03:15:32 AM »

I'm sure ya'll saw the comentary on thatsracin.com about the fans throwing trash on the track, david poole doesn't hold back.
http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/8522976.htm
hopefully that link will work

also, 17fan, do you think that roush racing tries to get to much power from there engines taking the chance of blowing them?  hendrick also had a rash of engines blow during a restrictor plate race a couple of seasons ago.

just rambling(getting off topic)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 11:03:58 AM »

To answer your question, texasracefan, the engines sometimes come by the luck of the draw, I believe. If one teammate has one, you can be sure another teammate who is still running has to be nervous. That's how it goes sometimes, but the Roush engines have not been all that bad this year. Speedweeks 2004 with the exception of the Daytona 500 turned out well for the Roush-Yates package. I think the Hendrick package is doing well. Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon have run well at the superspeedways this year, but DEI's engines are just better right now, plain and simple.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
rcairo1460
Sophmore

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 01:43:24 PM »

Quote from: "texasracefan"
Cheesy  newbie here, hi everyone.  the only problem I had with the ending yesterday was the way Gordon acted in winner's circle.  Even though jr's my boy(came over from being a fan of his dad),  I did not mind gordon winning until he climbed out of his car and put on that pathetic show of emotion.  That was even more embarrasing than the fans throwing stuff on the track.

Howdy - NOT a Jeff Gordon fan buts it been awhile since he won 1 of these type races - I thought the emotion was "real" - He still enjoys getting ot done after all of his wins!!!
texasracefan
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 05:57:48 PM »

jeff just acted like he dominated the race or blew everyone's doors off like ryan newman in the dodge commercial.  that's what I was trying to say.  like I said, I was cool with him winning, but come on........ :shock:
rcairo1460
Sophmore

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 06:49:18 PM »

Quote from: "texasracefan"
jeff just acted like he dominated the race or blew everyone's doors off like ryan newman in the dodge commercial.  that's what I was trying to say.  like I said, I was cool with him winning, but come on........ :shock:

race fan - Howdy - I dont see it that way - I dont see it thru DEI lenses as you do  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
texasracefan
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 06:54:02 PM »

and they are pretty thick lenses, borderline coke bottle
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 06:55:10 PM »

Okay, guys...I really think this topic needs to stop right here!  

This thread was suppose to be about the yellow flag finish to the race.  Can we get back on that topic or does this thread need to disappear?  I think there was a lot of good discussion earlier yesterday and I'd hate to see that all get deleted.  

As Lou always says "don't make me have to get up out of my recliner..." or in my case off my couch.   Smiley

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 09:47:45 PM »

I think Nascar really needs to do something about all the laps eaten up during yellow.  With the time it takes to sort things out, we're getting cheated out of a lot of racing.  I'd like to see them stop counting laps under caution after a certain point (with 20 to go at short tracks, 15 at cookie cutters, and 10 at Dega and Daytona).  Let everyone pit for gas only,maintain the order they were in before the pit stop, then go back to racing.  Takes the fuel issue out of it, and leaves enough laps for a real race to the checkers.  They always say they have to run the "advertised distance", but they had no trouble running the Daytona 270, did they?

Does that sound reasonable?
Sally
 :roll:
Vivian
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:53 PM »

Good points, Sally.  I just read that they may even stop the trucks having to end under green.  Geesh, what are they doing???
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2004, 02:19:40 AM »

Sally has a great idea. The only difference I would make would be to have a 5 or 10-mile rule where caution laps do not count if the race has less than 5 miles left. So with Martinsville being the shortest track, the last 9 laps must be under green under the 5-mile or less rule. If it were at Talladega, there would be 2 laps to go. What do you think?

John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2004, 02:40:16 AM »

Hey Sally, it was the Daytona 272.5 to be exact! :lol:

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2004, 02:46:53 AM »

Anything less than 10 laps at Dega or Daytona would be a sin.  It takes 2 laps just to get up to speed, and it really would promote mayhem.  Ten laps would give drivers enough tome to maneuver for position without going kamikaze.  I'm leery of any mathmatical formula to determine the number of laps to run.  Nascar doesn't seem to have much luck with anything too complicated.

The other benefit of doing things this way would be that they could go to the last previously scored lap to align the field withou penalizing anyone too badly.  If we're going to end under green, we should at least make it enough laps to give everyone a fair shot, no?

If they just set a predetermined amount of laps for each track based on the size of the track, I think it would be better.  Nascar definitely needs to operate under the KISS system.

I think Nascar is looking at the truck deal to make all the series "equal" as far aas rules go.  Do I need anything further to prove how dumb Nascar is?  The trucks have the most consistantly good races, yet they will change a good thing to make it equally stupid.  Apparently Nascar didn't understand that the fans aren't happy with caution flag finishes.  Since they've ignored everything else the fans have indicated they want, this diesn't surprise me a bit.
Sally
sally
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2004, 02:48:19 AM »

Sorry, John.  I knew I was close, but must have forgotten that last lap under caution.  Oops.
Sally
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: