November 18, 2017, 09:25:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watkins Glen  (Read 666 times)
Vivian
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:33:52 AM »

The race itself was a mixture of calamities, a runaway and the extraordinary run toward the front twice by a driver who really had his stuff together for the first time (IMO) this year.  It was great the way we were able to enjoy some of his run and to see him finish very well.  As you all know, I have a favorite, but even I do not like it when any driver develops a lead and there is no racing for the win at the finish.  I would have liked to see a much more competitive g/w/c.  But as usual the race ended without much excitement.
Smallblock bored
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:54:10 AM »

When I was in California 4 years ago I got a job as a director on a motion picture they were shooting there. I don’t recall much of the storyline or plot due to the fact that the producer was a big wine drinker and spent everyday on the set. However from what are left of my notes I can say that it was a fast pace upbeat musical comedy about a divorce. The entire set was the courtroom with the parties exchanging lyrical follies such as
She threw me out on my #ss
But I landed right on my feet
With a big fat cigar an ice cold beer
And plenty to eat
 But anyway most of the shooting was done on whim and we were way ahead of schedule. In the closing act I started screaming
“CRANE SHOT , CRANE SHOT, I WANT A CRANE SHOT” Well the crane went right through the roof of the studio and many of  the actors and staff from gaff to judge were hurt and many chose to sue. Well I stole the first 10 speed I could find and never looked back. “crane shot, crane shot” if only I had my crane shot.
 ESPN had the crane shot. Used it quite well. Break checking spinning cars it was all at our feet. We sure could have used a crane shot there at the Glen. Tony admitted to “doing what he had to” Robby made no “secret of it”. It just would have been nice to see that overhead “crane shot” those were the days.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 04:18:16 PM »

Can we find it on DVD, Michael?  If so, look up the title for us and come back with it.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:03:03 AM »

I did mention Robby coming up through the pack earlier, but I failed to mention that I also think Scott Pruett did a great job coming up through the field to finish in the top 5.  It was good to see the Coors car finishing well on this particular weekend.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 02:32:28 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I would have liked to see a much more competitive g/w/c.  But as usual the race ended without much excitement.

I am a fan of two of the drivers that followed the winner. If either of them had passed Tony on the green, white, checkered it would have been the robbery of the century. As much as I wanted to see one of them win I felt it would have been a tainted victory since they never would have caught Tony without a g/w/c. Wink

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »

Brian wrote:

I am a fan of two of the drivers that followed the winner. If either of them had passed Tony on the green, white, checkered it would have been the robbery of the century. As much as I wanted to see one of them win I felt it would have been a tainted victory since they never would have caught Tony without a g/w/c.

I agree with you on the robbery issue, Brian.  But wouldn't it have been neat to see competition for the win?  I just am not a fan of runaway races even if I like the winner!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:05:48 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Brian wrote:

I am a fan of two of the drivers that followed the winner. If either of them had passed Tony on the green, white, checkered it would have been the robbery of the century. As much as I wanted to see one of them win I felt it would have been a tainted victory since they never would have caught Tony without a g/w/c.

I agree with you on the robbery issue, Brian.  But wouldn't it have been neat to see competition for the win?  I just am not a fan of runaway races even if I like the winner!

I'm 100% in agreement with Vivian here!  I just wanted someone to challenge Tony, especially on the G/W/C.  Make him work for it (cause before that it didn't seem like he was having to work too hard cause the car was so superior).  I don't care if it's my driver or not, I want to see competition, especially at the end of the race.  If they can't hold off someone on a G/W/C, then they or their car weren't that good after all.  In this case, both Stewart and his car were good enough to hold off all challengers.  But if someone passed him, I certainly wouldn't have considered that a tainted victory.  No one is guaranteed a victory; that's why they call it competition.  Car, man, strategy, and "the breaks" have to all be just right.  To me, a G/W/C is just "the breaks" like any other caution that tightens up the field.  That's what made me love racing; the unknown of when all of these come together just right.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: