November 20, 2017, 06:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Indy  (Read 1024 times)
BillKP71
Rookie

« on: August 06, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »

Hi kids,

Spent a lovely day yesterday slogging around Speedway in the rain. On the bright side, it turned out to be a good day to hit the trailers and visit the museum (possibly the best $3 you'll ever spend).

As you've no doubt heard, they canceled all practice on Friday and scheduled 2 sessions for this AM. Qualifying will now be at 3:10PM EST (4:10PM EDT. Most of Indiana is in the eastern time zone, but doesn't observe daylight savings time. Always drove me nuts.)

The first practice is now under red flag due to an "unexpected" shower. They still hope to start the 2nd session at or near 9:30AM. 30% chance of more rain for the rest of the day. The track was repaved since last year, so the lack of practice should result in a very interesting qualifying session.

Due to the late qualifying NASCAR has now made the race an impound race.

We'll probably saddle up and head for the track shortly. Will try to post an update after qualifying.

Cheers,

ill

first things first, but not necessarily in that order
sally
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »

Bill, I love the 'live' updates from the track!  Glad to hear the rain didn't ruin your enjoyment of the day at the track.  We'll all keep our fingers crossed that the racing goes oof without Ma Nature leaving a calling puddle!

Sally
BillKP71
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »

Hi again,

It's 8:50AM and the beer's on ice. Bright and sunny with a forecast for mid 80's with some humidity. Chance of some clouds and showers later in the day, but the race should finish OK (unless they have the customary 38 yellow flags ;-).

As you hopefully saw yesterday, the qualifying times were pretty much all over the place. Practice was under clouds and then the sun came out for qualifying. With the added complications of the impound rules I think the crew chiefs were really rolling the dice on set ups. Several cars brushed the walls, but as near as I could tell only Spencer and Rusty hit it hard. Rusty stuffed his car into the turn 2 exit pretty hard and I assume he'll start his backup car at the back of the pack.

The garages just opened and 2 guys per car are working under the limitations of the impound rules.

All the local TV stations are set up at the track and interviewing anybody they can tackle. Drivers interviewed so far seem confident that the new racing surface will allow a second line, but there seems to be some concern re: tire wear (shades of the F1 debacle? Sure hope not!)

The speedway never announces official attendance, but if traffic is any indication this could be the biggest BY400 yet (and I've been to them all).

Will probably load up the coolers (this track still lets you bring in just about anything you can carry) and start the long walk to the track. Will get on line for a recap later if I can still type at that point.

Hope you all enjoy the race!

ill

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »

Thanks for the updates, Bill!  I particularly liked hearing the change in the qualifying schedule since we were at South Boston this weekend and didn't have ready access to the lastest news from Indy.

I'm thinking you're still out there helping Tony celebrate the victory today.   Or recovering from the celebration.    :lol:  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 04:27:28 PM »

Bill, thanks for coming to one of the shrines of American sports, Indianapolis Motor Speedway!  It appears that you had a great time, and I hope that your driver(s) did well.

If you have any pictures or autographs, please share them with us.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »

Hope you made it home safe and sound.  Great updates from the track.  Hope I can do as well from Bristol!

Sal
BillKP71
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:17:57 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments gang. Sorry for not posting a post-race. As Cheryl postulated I did do a bit of celebrating. Not "wide-open" as Tony planned, but did OK. The evenings after the race are much tamer since they moved the race to Sunday. I really miss the crazy post-race parties on Saturday night.

Somehow stumbled into the old Saturn at 5:00AM your time and pulled in to Bella's bar in Cape St. Clair at 2:30PM. (Probably a personal best, aided of course by somehow not getting pulled over in Ohio ;-)

Don't know how much post-race stuff the TV covered, but I think it was by far the most enthusiastic response from the crowd. Somebody even started a "Tony" chant :-)  He did a Polish victory lap which included a stop to visit with his family. The speedway staff went kinda nuts trying to get things back onto some kind of schedule. Tony really owes this one to his crew chief.I was listening on the scanner and Tony REALLY wanted to come in for tires on that last yellow, but Zipadelli talked him out of it.

I've been dragging my butt out to Indy for most of the past 30 years. Some better then others of course, but I guess the place is in my blood. If anybody ever decides to go please check with me first. Most rookies try to take the 2 or 3 main routes into the place and sit in gridlock, but since the track is actually in the middle of a real town (Speedway) there are a LOT of less painful options.

Well, time to see if there are any beers left in the coolers and perhaps catch some sleep. Take care all!

ill

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: