November 24, 2017, 03:50:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Contract Negotiations  (Read 977 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 01, 2005, 01:00:35 PM »

From Jayski:

"The negotiations over NASCAR's future television contracts continue out in Beverly Hills, Calif., where Richard Glover reports the process is "right on schedule." NASCAR's energetic vice president of broadcasting and new media hints the sanctioning body's next multi-year deal will look much the same as the current contracts. The Fox/FX and NBC/Turner groups, who have enjoyed NASCAR Nextel Cup broadcast rights since 2001, each want to re-up and continue their split-season relationships with big-league stock car racing. The current $2.4 billion contract ends next season and Glover predicts the next contract will be signed and announced sometime in late November or early December. He said there could be some minor changes, "tweaks" as he called them, to the next big TV contract. The Daytona 500 is apparently some sort of wild card in the process, now that NBC/Turner enjoys the fruits of the Chase for the Nextel Cup Championship playoff format. The Chase was added into the mix last season, the fourth year of the current contract.
The ABC/ESPN group, which lost broadcast rights to its competitors after the inaugural NASCAR television contracts were announced in 1999, wants to get back into the racing game. From 1979 through 1999, individual racetracks negotiated their own deals with the TV industry. NASCAR racing was scattered across the dial, with every major network, with the exception of Fox, televising races. NASCAR gathered up all those individual TV rights and went to the negotiating table armed with a racing package. When all was said and done, Fox/FX secured the first half of the Nextel Cup season while NBC/Turner got dibs on the second half of the schedule. Glover says there have been discussions about separating the Nextel Cup and Busch Series in the next TV package. The two series have been attached at the hip in all other previous contract negotiations. ESPN is seriously interested in the Busch Series. "It is one of the things that's being talked about and looked at," Glover said. "That is one of the things we are discussing -- maybe not all the Busch Series races being on a single network. But let's put that into context -- we talk about a lot of things during the negotiating process. It is our hope and belief, and we still think we will end up with packages very similar to what we have now."
Currently, Fox and NBC televise the Daytona 500 on alternating years, but apparently Fox apparently wants to make the race an annual fixture on its broadcast schedule. "That is something being talked about," Glover said. "On one hand it would be good to have same partner for that race every year. On the other hand, the race has been very successful in NBC's Olympic years. Again, that's something being talked about. We have to see where it goes."
Unless CBS or ABC comes rushing in with a surprising 11th-hour bid, the next NASCAR TV contract will look much like it does today.(in part from the Daytona Beach News Journal)(8-1-2005)"

Of course, I'm disappointed that Fox will still be in the mix, but then I'm not surprised.  But it would be nice to see ESPN at least get the Busch races, but I'm afraid they make even more of the Cup "stars" in them since that would be the only chance they have to talk about them.  

Whatever happens, I don't think coverage will get any better for the long term fans.  NASCAR is willing to accept the "produce" we've gotten the last 4 years, so I don't expect any change from "entertainment" to what we used to see on ESPN/TNN.  Brian obviously has no problem with the graphics overload on both networks and focus only on certain drivers or the announcers in the booth on Fox.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:33:48 PM »

I've heard from another source that NASCAR's new contracts will probably be for six or seven years.  Can we stand "Boogity Boogity Boogity" that much longer? :evil:

As for changes, as of 2006, NBC will show NFL football every Sunday night.  That means all the daytime Chase races will be held on NBC, probably with no starts after 2 p.m. ET. (The reason is that the NFL pregame show will begin at 7 p.m.)  All night and twilight races will be on TNT.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:08:08 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

Whatever happens, I don't think coverage will get any better for the long term fans. NASCAR is willing to accept the "produce" we've gotten the last 4 years, so I don't expect any change from "entertainment" to what we used to see on ESPN/TNN. Brian obviously has no problem with the graphics overload on both networks and focus only on certain drivers or the announcers in the booth on Fox.

Keep in mind, Brian does not have to sit in front of a tv and watch like most of us do.  So I doubt he really knows what we are seeing.  He is too busy counting his $$$$$.  I hve a feeling even if he knew, he would not care.  He told us he doesn't hold his fingers up to see which way the fans are blowing, remember?
sally
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »

You're probably right, Cheryl, but I doubt that ESPN could do any WORSE than Fox, could they?  And it might get us Dr. Jerry Punch back on camera, which is a plus.  I wonder how Fox/NBC would feel about tons of Cup guys driving in the Busch series if they aren't broadcasting those races?  Hmmmm

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:14:53 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Can we stand "B****** B****** B*****" that much longer? :evil:

Hey!  Do I have to make that phrase off-limits on this forum?Huh?? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheryl "I have the power you know"   Wink
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 04:10:14 PM »

Sorry, Cheryl.  I didn't know that you hated those words that much. :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 05:25:01 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Sorry, Cheryl.  I didn't know that you hated those words that much. :lol:

How could you read my reviews and NOT know?Huh?    :lol:

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »

guys remember i said that nbc would give priorty to the nfl, i guess nascar can live with being second class citizens huh? Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: