November 24, 2017, 12:26:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anybody watch the 1981 indy 500 on espn classic?  (Read 636 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: July 27, 2005, 09:29:53 AM »

It was on late sunday night and they talked in great detail about the controversy with bobby unser and mario andretti and i think bobby blamed some of it on tom binford and some of it on abc and jackie stewart and jim mckay.

I was just curious what peoples thoughts are on this race if anyone can remember it?

I think bobby in an interview once said that tom binford was trying to get the cart drivers fighting with 1 another or against 1 another.

This was shortly after cart was created it started up in 1979.

And he also said abc tried to make a big deal out of him passing all those cars i was just curious what people think of all this.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »

This, of course, was the race that Bobby Unser won, lost, and won again.

Looking back, I think that the rules were simply being enforced.  Unser cheated to win and cried enough tears (figuratively, of course) to win on appeal.  Unser did have to pay a $25,000 fine.

Interestingly, the only reason Unser could blame the broadcast team was that he could watch it that night.  Back then, the Indy 500 telecast was delayed until 9 p.m. ET and PT.  Live broadcasts did not begin until 1986.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »

Desmond did you watch all 3 days of the 1986 indy 500 it got postponed on sunday i have that day on tape.

I've been told they were only on a few minutes monday and every once in awhile they would comeback on and update the situation it rained monday too and i think sometime after 1 p.m. they cancelled the race.

And abc wanted the race to be ran the next saturday so speedwayt officials postponed it until the next saturday and the 3rd day was the charm and they had nice weather.

Did you know kevin cogan almost won the race that day can you imagine how different his life and career would have been had he won that day.

Cause he passed both rick mears and rahal on the same lap on the same straightaway.

Unfortuanately i don't think abc did a good job showing us both passes cause they were busy showing us bobby rahal's wife.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

1 more thing about abc's indy 500 coverage back prior to 1993 abc would show a lot of the drivers wives and unfortuanately miss action on the track.

After the 1992 indy 500 where it seemed like all we saw was sandi andretti that race became the sandi andretti show it seemed like.

After the 1992 indy 500 abc was heavily criticized for how much they showed the drivers wives and so in 1993 abc had to apologize to the public i think and they had to say they would not show the drivers wives as much.

Because prior to 1993 with their indy 500 coverage abc missed or almost missed several good things or on track passes or changes for the lead even cause we had to see some drivers wife.

Or i'll give you a good example back in 1989 when al unser jr. and emerson fittipaldi had their infamous battle abc almost missed al unser jr. he tried to pass emmo on the high side but they almost missed al going up to the highside cause they were too busy showing us emmo's wife and al's wife.

Plus in those final 10 laps we had to hear both drivers wives scream and go on.

I was going to say something else but my mind went blank on me if i think of it i'll post it on the board later.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »

Showing drivers' wives every few minutes, Bryan?  Are you sure?

If so, don't tell that to Fox/FX.  That's a new idea they would have for next season's coverage! :oops:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: