November 24, 2017, 02:04:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speeding on Pit Road  (Read 1574 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 25, 2005, 06:03:36 PM »

Just saw this on Jayski:

"Dale Earnhardt Jr. was called into the NASCAR trailer after the race to be reprimanded for exceeding the pit road speed on lap 53 when he raced out of the pits in an attempt to stay on the lead lap. He was penalized with a drive-through. His pit road exit speed was clocked at 143 mph. The pit road speed limit was 55 mph. Junior was told by NASCAR officials that they understood his desire to remain on the lead lap, but that they wouldn't tolerate his methods."

Jeesh!  I know he was speeding, but had no idea it was that fast!   :shock:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 06:11:04 PM »

Cheryl, can you explain to me why Jr. got held a lap for speeding on pit road, and later in the race GI Joe just got sent to the end of the longest line?  That was the penalty first mentioned by the boys in the booth when Jr. was speeding.

Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 06:38:16 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Cheryl, can you explain to me why Jr. got held a lap for speeding on pit road, and later in the race GI Joe just got sent to the end of the longest line?  That was the penalty first mentioned by the boys in the booth when Jr. was speeding.

You're asking ME to explain NASCAR's logic?Huh? :?

Seriously, I had a lot of trouble understanding most of the calls they made yesterday.  Especially how Martin (I think it was) had past Rusty at the start/finish line but apparently there are no scoring loops at the S/F line?  That's the most screwed up thing I've heard since the entire freezing the field debacle?

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »

Most times their rules seem to confuse me.  Not always the same but that is the way they like it so they can judge each driver on an independent basis, I guess.  Even the announcers don't seem to know what is going to happen, has happened or why it happened. Constant state of confusion.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »

Look at it this way, folks, Nascar keeps everyone equally confused, so some folks develope conspiracy theories, and all this fuels the fans "passion" for their driver and they then spend more Money. :-D

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 01:25:17 AM »

Good points, Dick.

I love being confused. :smt017
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 09:00:40 AM »

Nascar has no logic. They probably don't know what to do with their rules they just make em up as they go along typical nascar.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 09:02:39 AM »

Nascar has the changing rulebook in that's always changing.

Who knows maybe they don't even have a rulebook we all know how they change the rules as they go along.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 09:05:52 AM »

Richard petty mentioned this on sunday at 1 time there was no pit lane speed limit they could go in and come out of the pits as fast as they wanted.

I know they changed this after some pit road accidents they had in 1990 i think they instituted the pit road speed after the 6th race of 1991.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »

Can you imagine changing tires on pit road or even being in 1 of those racecars just getting out of the pitstall and to have a guy flypast you before the pit road speed limit you could have a guy just barely going and some other guy flying by at 80 or more miles an hour.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 09:16:27 AM »

1 more example of before there was a pitroad speedlimit was the 1996 24 hours of daytona a sportscar race max papis i think came into the pits at full racing speed he was leading the race and he was trying to keep the lead. It was the last pitstop of the race for max.

The way he came in and how fast his crew made the stop reminded me of 1 of the mcdonalds commercials they mcdonalds had where they serviced bill elliotts car during a pitstop.

Max lost the lead of the race and lost the race too.

I think that was the 2nd closest finish in rolex 24 history i think it was 65 seconds between 1st and second place.

Max did have the fastest car too that year but a couple of problems ended up hurting that team which was how wayne taylor's oldsmobile ended up getting the lead back and winning the race.

If your wondering what type of car max was driving he was driving the momo ferrari. It was a red and yellow car.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 04:19:18 PM »

This brings up another question:  Right now, the lucky dog pass is officially optional.  In other words, the driver of the first car one lap down does not have to use it.  But what if a driver actually turns it down out of principle?

If this page, showing a fictional incident at Martinsville, is any indication, it would not be pretty:
http://www.webspawner.com/users/bwbarefoot/racereviews2005.html

My point is that the rule book can be changed in a second for any reason and NASCAR doesn't have to explain anything! :evil:

We'll see what it does if it actually happens.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »

Quote from: "Bryan Blanton"
Richard petty mentioned this on sunday at 1 time there was no pit lane speed limit they could go in and come out of the pits as fast as they wanted.

I know they changed this after some pit road accidents they had in 1990 i think they instituted the pit road speed after the 6th race of 1991.

I remember the old days before pit road speed limits.  I know it is a safety issue, but it made for interesting pit strategies especially on tracks with front and back stretch pits.  Guys could duck into the pits on the backstretch immediately when a caution came out and actually end up being the leader.  Whereas the top running cars had to cycle back around to the frontstretch pits (if they were pitting there).  

At Daytona and Rockingham in 1991, they had that crazy odd/even pitting which was a real cluster.  Anybody else remember that?  Compared to that the pit road speed rule did make sense.  

Cheryl "who's just nostalgic for the olds days"
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 08:30:08 PM »

Cheryl, can I use your remark belowand substitute my name?

Cheryl "who's just nostalgic for the olds days"
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »

Cheryl you mentioned the odd even pit rules did you know they couldn't change tires under a yellow flag as well.

I know richard petty at rockingham and atlanta he mentioned this in something he wrote for stock car racing magazine in 1991 he said at rockingham and atlanta he was stuck on track until he could pit both times he had flat tires.

So he was stuck out on track until the odd or even lap to pit so for 1 or 2 laps he had to ride around on a flat tire.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: