November 19, 2017, 04:03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It would have been nice...  (Read 513 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 21, 2004, 10:48:27 PM »

I am posting from my work place, South Bay Vocational Center of Long Beach.  It is a company that works to find jobs for disabled adults and train them once they get their jobs.

It is only about a mile from the temporary street circuit that hosted last week's Champ Car race.

Due to the carelessness of a fellow bus rider, I was able to get a free ticket to Friday's qualifying session.  And I would have made it to my first-ever auto race in person.

Except that I did not have the courage to ask my bosses for a day off.  So instead of using the ticket, I went to work as usual.

I didn't think much of my decision until Monday, when somehow the traffic around the streets during the race weekend was mentioned.  I then told Daniell Cokes, case coordinator at SBVC, my story.  She said it would have been nice to go there because of the Buddy Wayne site I have maintained.

I then added something that I have never put on the site--that my character, had he existed, would have won the Toyota Pro-Celebrity Race at that track in two straight years (before he would have joined NASCAR, back when he was a sprint-car star overseas).  So I not only missed qualifying for the race (both the Pro-Celebrity and Champ Cars), I didn't go to the site of one of my character's shining moments.

BUMMER.

All I can do now is pray for the continued existence of Champ Car so I can try again next year.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »

Like Lou says, there is nothing like being there in person, Desmond. So hang in there and we'll keep hoping with you that you make it next year. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: