November 21, 2017, 11:10:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About something i heard on windtunnel the other night.  (Read 1337 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: July 20, 2005, 07:14:18 AM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this i heard something about kentucky or the people who run the track in kentucky sueing nascar to get a date on their schedule i was just curious what people think about this.

They mentioned something about them trying to get certain documents about isc and nascar's relationship or business relationship to show how nascar runs their business and they said something about nascar doing something wrong or illegal i didn't catch all of the guys comments though.

He did say you wouldn't hear any of the drivers say anything about this because nascar would threaten them.

Or something like that.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:16:49 AM »

I do have a feeling kentucky will get at least 1 date cause nascar doesn't want people finding out about how they run their business and i imagine the people who run nascar something will either promise the people at kentucky 1 or 2 dates or will give the people who run the kentucky speedway hush money to keep their mouths shut and drop the suit.

I have a feeling it'll probably be settled out of court which if i remember right the furko thing was settled out of court and texas got the 2nd date they were promised.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 12:25:39 PM »

NASCAR told the owners of Kentucky BEFORE they built that track that they would never get a Cup date.  Why they think now they can sue is beyond me.  Of course, when lawyers get involved, the facts always seem to get lost somwhere.    :evil:

I never believed in that "promise" to Bruton Smith deal either, so this is even more absurd!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 03:26:47 PM »

I understand that Kentucky Speedway would want a Nextel Cup date, but to try to get it by way of a lawsuit is unseemly.  If Kentucky wins, other track owners will go to court immediately to seek the dates they want.  Even Jayski wondered why the suit was filed after the Busch and truck series races there.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:51:44 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
NASCAR told the owners of Kentucky BEFORE they built that track that they would never get a Cup date.  Why they think now they can sue is beyond me.  Of course, when lawyers get involved, the facts always seem to get lost somwhere.    :evil:

I never believed in that "promise" to Bruton Smith deal either, so this is even more absurd!

Cheryl
Cheryl, the end result of the Texas suit was another cup race date for Texas, so I imagine that was something of an impetus for the Ky. lawsuit. That said, I'm not sure that I agree with the filing of the suit in principal, but, there may be some merit to the anti-trust approach which Ky.'s counsel is using. We'll see.
  Stan Chesley, ky.'s counsel, is very well known around here and is sufficiently well off that he wouldn't take this case as a publicity stunt.
  Finally, if Baby Brian is going to mess up the traditions and switch the schedule all around, then why shouldn't Kentucky get a cup date? The facility is clearly up to par. Why should California or other tracks owned by ISC get 2 dates? There are a lot of race fans in this area, and they have supported Nascar and the Ky speedway in the fashion Nascar likes best, (with their $), so why not? I think that is the gist of Ky.'s argument.
  Would I go to a cup race at KY? Prob not, the crowds are bad enough for the truck race. :?
  END OF RANT , Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 07:55:44 PM »

I understand your reasoning about why shouldn't KY get a Cup date, Dick.  The problem is that NASCAR has proclaimed the south as "saturated" with race dates already, which is and always has been a bunch of crap as far as I'm concerned.  But that's their reason for taking away dates from NW, Rockingham, and Darlington.  Never mind the racing quality lost with the loss of those venues.  They're much more interested in "TV markets" than racing these days.  

I just don't like ANY lawsuits...The sound too much like whiney kids IMHO..."If I can't get what is best for ME, I'll just sue!"  To me, that's the problem with society these days.  And I don't mean to get into any off-topic discussions with that remark.  Just trying to illustrate that race tracks are now mirroring the rest of society.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:32:08 PM »

Desmond wrote:

If Kentucky wins, other track owners will go to court immediately to seek the dates they want.

I don't think Nascar will want to open themselves up to that situation.  So they will fight it hard, imo...The thing that will help the track, also imo, is the fact that the Waltrips were involved in the design and building of it.  But I really don't see it happening.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »

Cheryl, I totally agree with you thoughts about Rockingham, Darlington, etc. I think I mentioned one time that I got goose bumps just driving by Darlington a few years ago. I would much rather go to a race there than at a sterile 1 and 1/2 mile track like Ky.
 Trouble is, you and I may be in the minority these days. Sad...

For instance, I've been to Las Vegas, and while the track is a great facility in many respects, the racing was just Ho-Hum, at best. This even tho one of my favs won the Busch race. Will I make any great effort to go back? Nope. Will I go back to IRP to see the trucks or Busch or Hooters orwhatever? You betcha! And the difference is in the RACING. (Hear that baby Brian?).
  Later,....

William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:07:48 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy guys kentucky will get a race because will settle out of court. this is clearly an antitrust violation and nascar is running a monoply. Smiley
sally
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 02:10:22 AM »

I agree.  Baby Brian will go to any lenghts necessary to keep the government from looking into how he does 'business'.   The threat is enough to make them settle out of court to aviod the scrutiny.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 08:35:46 PM »

I still don't think they will give them a race.  It opens too many other possibilities where other tracks would be able to sue for one.  Somehow they will protect themselves without giving in.  JMO...
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »

Vivian, I don't fault your reasoning at all, but how many other cookie cutter tracks are there in a market as large as the tri state area where Ky. is, and who do not already have a cup race?
 I honestly think Ky could sell 100,000 tickets easily for a cup race.
  The counter argument, I suppose, is that Nascar should go to 2 divisions, say east and west, and run 25 or so races simutaneously, then have the "Chase". This would make Baby Brian even wealthier, I suppose,.... :?

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 04:04:28 PM »

I've already written about that, of course.  It's in the articles section.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »

I was not suggesting that it was an original idea of mine, Desmond, and I still like the idea. It would seem to be the next logical step in the ever expanding world of Nascar. IF, note-IF, they would limit the number of cars to 30 or 33, it could save a lot of travel, expand the sport and lead to some better racing all at the same time.

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: