November 23, 2017, 06:41:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [b]SPOILER:[/b]CUP race at Daytona  (Read 575 times)
Vivian
« on: July 03, 2005, 06:40:05 PM »

Since I am on the left coast, I did stay up for the whole race.  I was watching alone and just took in all of it without anyone (Don) making remarks about the action and bad moves of some of my favorites.

The race was kind of a runaway but I thought we got to see some good pack racing all through the field; so I do feel like I saw a real race rather than just bits and pieces of it and I enjoyed the racing.  The first big crash was a disappointment because it took out some drivers (Martin for one) I would have loved to see race the whole race.  But that is what restrictor plate racing is.  It was very nerve wracking at times to see them so bunched up but at least we could see the racing and movement of many drivers.  It was good to see different people vying for the win.  I was happy that Dale Jarrett and Rusty ran good.  Sometimes it helps when the veterans get a piece of the pie, so to speak.  It was also good to see Jamie McMurray run good and I don't want to brag or bash anyone, i think it is okay to mention names especially if they are not normally the ones that tv always talks about.  So many drivers do have great runs and we got to see some of them last night in this race.  I had a hard time staying in my chair after the last caution because I was so afraid too many drivers would get crazy and cause another crash but as it turned out, the checkers fell without that.  

How great it was to see the winner stop under the flagstand and climb the fence rather than doing those burnouts.  I was afraid he was gonna fall when getting down, but I loved every minute of that type of celebration.

It is sometimes hard to separate the race from the broadcast so I hope I didn't zero in on the broadcast too much in my above analysis.

Good racing for restrictor plate style!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 03:49:05 PM »

It was obvious Stewart had the fastest car, but I would've liked to have seen the 2nd-6th place guys at least TRY to pass in the last few laps.  To me, they were all more concerned about points racing, so didn't want to risk losing where they were sure to finish.  

Just made me sorry I stayed up til 2 a.m. to see a parade.  Yes, it was good to see Jarrett, Wallace and others have good finishes, but I'd rather have seen some competition.  Just my humble opinion...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 03:58:36 PM »

I stayed up too, well, most of the time I was awake. :-D
Cheryl, I don't think that the 2nd thru 6th place cars really could have even made a serious effort to pass Tony in those last laps. I think that he had them totally covered and they knew it.
 Oh well, I don't like plate races and am just happy that no one got hurt.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 04:29:25 PM »

No big one, but two "medium ones" if you ask me.

I loved that Tony Stewart involved the crowd in the celebration, if for no other reason that his reputation is that of hating the fans.  I guess he saves the wrath for photographers and other drivers. :smt013

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: