November 23, 2017, 04:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Return of the Busch-whackers; new schedule?  (Read 373 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: June 27, 2005, 06:28:24 PM »

After three weeks of relative peace, the onslaught of the Cup regulars figures to resume this coming Friday night at Daytona.

Already, we know that Dale Earnhardt Jr., Joe Nemechek, Greg Biffle, and Kasey Kahne are entered for the 250-mile race.  Possibly Mark Martin and Matt Kenseth, although not Michael Waltrip (Kerry Earnhardt will drive the #99).

It was fun to see the fields at Nashville and Milwaukee with only Busch Series regulars in them.  Everyone thought they had a shot to win, if only in their dreams.  About 25 of those dreams will be snuffed out this Friday night and for the rest of the season (except Pikes Peak, Memphis, and maybe IRP).

One interesting note: last month, the Winston-Salem Journal reported that NASCAR could change its support-race schedules next year, pairing the Craftsman Truck Series with Nextel Cup and moving Busch Series races to the weekends of the Indy Racing League.  Theoretically, this would cut down on the number of "Busch-whackers" in an average race.  What do you think of this possibility?  

Let me start this out by saying that I love it.  Every driver--every athlete--is fueled by the chance to win; it motivates everyone.  As it stands now, only a few drivers can beat the "Busch-whackers."  How fun is that, for the drivers and teams that compete only in Busch races?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 08:36:30 PM »

I was happy that they did not have a lot of 'whackers.  It is always so good to see a regular driver win.  However, I still hate runaways and this was one, imo.  I was surprised at the penalty they gave Sauter.  I thought they normally held them for a lap if they delibertly hit someone and spun them out.  But he only got sent to the back.  Am I mistaken here?  Maybe so.... Wink Their rules, or lack of consistancy in enforcing them keep me confused most of the time.  

Des wrote:

One interesting note: last month, the Winston-Salem Journal reported that NASCAR could change its support-race schedules next year, pairing the Craftsman Truck Series with Nextel Cup and moving Busch Series races to the weekends of the Indy Racing League. Theoretically, this would cut down on the number of "Busch-whackers" in an average race. What do you think of this possibility?

If this happens, then all the cup drivers will probably drive trucks as that is where most wind up these days.  Plus it will give them track time and info for their race, imo.  I would hate to see that happen.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:00:27 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I was surprised at the penalty they gave Sauter.  I thought they normally held them for a lap if they delibertly hit someone and spun them out.  But he only got sent to the back.  Am I mistaken here?  Maybe so.... Wink Their rules, or lack of consistancy in enforcing them keep me confused most of the time.  

I'm SO glad you brought that up Vivian!  I failed to mention it yesterday.  I was actually happy they penalized him at all.  In the Hooters series, they give "tailend of the lead lap" if anyone spins another car (deliberatly or not).  I mean, how can race control actually determine what was in the driver's head?   :lol:   But back to Sauter, I kind of like the guy at times (even though Lou hates him).  I think he has a lot of talent on short tracks and smaller speedways like Milwaukee.  But he does make a lot of bonehead moves at times.  

For instance, I think his move on Raines was questionable enough that he had to be penalized in some way.  Although the fact he was a lap alone (except for Lajoie who got the free pass) meant it was pretty meaningless.  And I think that is one reason NASCAR did it cause it gave the appearance that they penalized him, yet they knew he had a strong enough car to make it back past all the cars on the tailend of the lead lap.  To tell you the truth, TV had me SO confused abou the whole deal, I couldn't tell who was where for quite a while (MRN didn't do much better in explaining the entire deal).  However, I was actually quite surprised NASCAR didn't penalized him more considering he drives for James Finch (after the carberator deal a while back).  

I'd really have liked to have seen the race get restarted after the rain to see if Sauter would be so strong with someone right on his tail on the restart.  But, alas, that wasn't meant to happen.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: