November 23, 2017, 07:15:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debut of New Format for NASCAR Nation  (Read 2077 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 28, 2005, 02:03:58 AM »

Well, I watched it tonight to see what it was like and try to give it a chance.  Definitely NOT my kind of thing.  The host's initial comment of "we've watched the race..." and something to the effect "that's enough about real racing, let's show you all this other stuff."  That just turned me off right away.  But I stuck through the entire 30 minutes (okay I fast fowarded through the commercials thanks to Tivo), so I could give it an honest critique.  

Some of the footage seemed replayed from an old show or NBS 24/7 (David Stremme in softball game).  

Personally, I don't need to see more "lifestyles of the rich and famous" - Jeremy's motorcoach.  See enough of that with Harvick's on 360.

How many times can we see Stewart doing charitable work?  Still doesn't improve his image to some though.

Movie preimiere of some silly "Herbie" movie.  Totally lost on me I guess.  Never seen the orignal Love Bug either.   Someone claiming "it's just like real racing" was a little too much for me.

Demolition Derby for school buses.  Nothing to do with NASCAR drivers at all.  More Fox announcers becoming "the show."  

Okay the drivers telling us what their favorite movies of all time was mildly interesting, but that's really a departure from what the "Sound Off" segment used to be.  It used to be fans sounding off.  Guess the new SPEED management doesn't care what the fans have to say anymore.

Sorry, can't remember much more.  I don't plan to tune in again.  Never watched Entertainment Tonight and don't need a version of it for racing.  I don't blame the producer, he's producing what the new SPEED head obviously wants to see, NOT what the fans want to see.  Like Desmond pointed out, there is now NO nightly news show for NASCAR.  

Fox drives RPM2Nite out of business two years ago and now they're not even giving the fans a nightly news show?  Yeah, most of us here get all the news from the Internet or XM anyway, but it would be nice for the folks who don't have those options.  

Cheryl
TexasDeb
Sophmore

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:22:58 AM »

Thanks for that review.  I was going to look at the first show in the new format, but didn't get home in time.  It sounds like I was lucky  :roll:

Deb
sally
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »

I watched the entire 30 minutes, just to be fair.  Seeing the new set and the new 'giggle and jiggle' crew put me on notice immediately.  And you're right, Cheryl.  It was mostly recycled clips from previous shows, and more totally irrelevant fluff.  I have watched for the first and last time.

Bones Bourcier, the writer, was on WT Sunday, and had th perfect take on the Hollywood types that are showing up at the tracks these days.  He said it was cool if they were there to actually watch the race...but not if they are just there to promote their latest movie.  My feeling exactly.  These people, for the most part are only showing up so they can advertise their latest gig.  It has nothing to do with racing whatsoever.  But these are the types that Baby Brian wants to attract.  Just someone else looking to cash in, period, as he does.

This latest TV offering on Speed is embarrassing.  I won't be one of their viewers.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:06:40 PM »

Just the show I expected, and feared.

The lack of a "NASCAR newscast" is a waste of some great talent.  Here are some of the hosts on the old NASCAR Nation, Totally NASCAR and RPM2Night: John Kernan, Whit Watson, Steve Byrnes, Krista Voda, John Roberts, Ralph Sheheen, and Connie LeGrand.  They are journalists and fans of the sport.

In contrast, the current hosts/reporters are LeeAnn Tweeden, Craig Reynolds, Courtney George, Jon Willenborg, and the other woman whose name I can't remember right now.  This is not to bash them, but to remind us of the direction the show has gone into.  Quite sad, isn't it? Sad

How did the "old guard" hosts really feel when LeeAnn opened last night's program with comments that can only be interpreted as talking down to the real NASCAR fans?

It bears repeating: the current NASCAR brass doesn't want us anymore.  They want the "hipsters" who will support anything for a few minutes, then leave it when someone else doesn't think it's that "hot."

P.S. Tonight, the show will cover Dale Earnhardt Jr. as he judges the Hooters girl beauty pageant.  Don't know if Cheryl will love it or hate it. Tongue

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
P.S. Tonight, the show will cover Dale Earnhardt Jr. as he judges the Hooters girl beauty pageant.  Don't know if Cheryl will love it or hate it. Tongue

Cheryl doesn't care cause she won't be watching it!   :roll:
I've got plenty of real racing on Tivo to catch up on if  I need a racing fix.  Like the Michigan ARCA race and the Busch North race from Holland, NY that was broadcast Saturday night in REAL HD.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:44:33 PM »

I watched at 10pm (the 3rd broadcast) to give it a chance.  Don slept so we will probably watch again tonight if he is awake.  It comes on at 4, 7 and 10 here.  I used to record it so we could zap through the commercials but decided not to because I didn't realize Don wanted to see what it was all about.  So I have to watch another one.

Most of the stuff we had already seen on either pre race shows, 360 or Nascar this morning type shows.  Why watch the same thing with different hosts?  Doesn't make sense. I can live without it.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 04:05:42 PM »

Cheryl, that was supposed to be a joke and I forgot the emoticon.  Sorry.

It was a reference to Hooters being the title sponsor of your new favorite stock-car racing series.

P.S. The other anchor's name is Vicki Johnson.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Cheryl, that was supposed to be a joke and I forgot the emoticon.  Sorry.

It was a reference to Hooters being the title sponsor of your new favorite stock-car racing series.

No, you put the emoticon on the first post.  But I thought you meant since it involved Hooters I'd want to watch it.  Don't have anything against beauty pagents, but they're not something I think belongs on a show that is suppose to be about NASCAR, and they're not something I choose to watch.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 07:37:16 PM »

So far there isn't MUCH on the show that has to do with Nascar.  360 and NBS24/7 do a much more interesting job of showing the drovers off track.  I made the effort to watch it once.  It was the first and last time.  But, since Baby Brian sees Nascar as an entertainment, rather than a sport, this is what we get stuck with.  If it weren't so pathetic, it would be funny.  HEY GUYS!  let's show everyone one HIP and COOL we are!  All we need are some Playboy bunny types, forget that over 40% of the race fans are women, and we're good!

Sally :smt021

They dont' even have the grace to be embarrassed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: