November 21, 2017, 11:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell us about your race trip, Cheryl and/or Lou  (Read 1220 times)
Vivian
« on: April 20, 2004, 12:30:27 AM »

Did ya have fun? Did you get pics and autographs?  Was it as exciting or more so in person?  Was the red flag boring for you?  Aren't you happy that Rusty won?  Come on, tell us about it.......
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 02:06:20 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Did ya have fun?

I don't remember but I think so.

Did you get pics and autographs?

pics yes, autographs no. I gave out no autographs either.

Was it as exciting or more so in person?

it's always better in person

Was the red flag boring for you?

yes, I ran out of beer and it was too far to walk back to the camper to refill.

Aren't you happy that Rusty won?

who?

Sorry for being so long-winded....
Lou

:roll:

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:27:23 PM »

W hat?? You didn't give out Autographs??
Well, I'm glad I didn't make the trip just to get your scrawl! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 04:35:34 PM »

Sorry to take so long to answer Vivian's questions.  I see Lou has already made his sad attempt to do so.   :wink: Work has been keeping me hopping this morning, but I finally got a break.

We had a great weekend at both Martinsville and the Hooters race at South Boston!  

I had no problem with the red flag at all.  I'm not one of those short-attention span fans.  Many of which (thankfully) left during that time, so the rest of us could spread out and relax as the sun finally cooled down.  The end of the race was quite pleasant in the early evening and the excitement level certainly heated up a lot after the red flag.  I was torn between watching Gordon make his amazing charge back up through the field, rooting for Sterling, Jamie, Jimmy and Rusty up front.  Enough battles to make your head spin!  SHORT TRACKS RULE!

I'll be working on getting Vivian's review into html this afternoon, so hopefully it will be on-line late this afternoon or early evening.  Sally also has a good article that we'll post as well.  

I only listened to the TV feed at the track occasionally, but my observations are that the Fox crew, especially DW, sounded more down to earth and clear sighted when they were making candid remarks during commercial.  I really was impressed with DW's candor.  Also, one time I caught them going over who they had not covered, so it was quite obvious they were really attempting to show as much of the field as they could.  

When I get more time, I'll probably post my memories of the best scanner bites I caught from teams and drivers during the day.  There were some good ones.

Oh yeah, *I* didn't have a problem with running out of beer since I only took one for my own Victory Lane celebration.  Coincidentially it was a Miller Lite and fit right in with Rusty's victory.    Cheesy   However, Lou kept mumbling how he might have to "buy" it from me, but I managed to hold onto it until the end.

You could've probably heard me cheering on TV when Rusty crossed the line and it became clear he wasn't going to do any of those childish doughnuts.  When he turned around and headed back towards us, I screamed "POLISH VICTORY LAP!!!!!!!"  

Short tracks are the best, did I mention that?   I think they showcase the driver's skill so much more, so it was only appropriate the short-track king finally got back to Victory Lane at Martinsville.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »

I'm not surprised by the lack of autographs.

I have never been to a NASCAR race, but I understand that access to drivers is more limited now than at any other time lately.  There is a "hot pit" in effect for all the races, and officials crack down on those who are without passes.

I also cannot believe the answer Lou gave when Vivian asked about Rusty Wallace's win.  He said, "who?"  I wonder if that means he hates Rusty and doesn't care to admit it, or if he was just glad the race was over.

Every time one of the veterans win--Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, and now Rusty--it is always a popular win among drivers and fans, probably because of the envy over the "young guns."  What's not to love about what happened Sunday?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 04:51:11 PM »

You have to understand Lou's sarcasm, which I keep telling him I'm obviously not the only one who misunderstands it at times.   :wink:  I think he was okay with Rusty's win; he was just trying to be funny.

On the autograph thing with drivers, neither one of us are into that much.  I got over that phase about 11-12 years ago.  You stand in line and the driver barely says a word to you.  That doesn't thrill me as neither does having an autograph per se.  I'd much more enjoy having a meaningful conversation with one of them and that's not about to happen in this day and age.  They are just too mobbed by people anymore to do that.  One girl camping with us said she sat outside the drivers gate all day Saturday to get autographs.  I was amazed!  It's just not worth it to me to do something like that for a piece of paper.  I got Alan Kulwicki's autograph back in 92 I think.  It's sitting at home somewhere.  I'd prefer the memory of actually talking to him, which you didn't get in that "cattle" kind of session even back then.  Maybe we're just too old or jaded fans or something.    :wink:

The grandstands did errupt when Rusty won, which amazed me since I used to be a big Rusty fan and took a lot of crap back 15 years ago for it.  People either hated him or loved him.  My opinion of him has gone up and down over the last 10 years.  Now it seems like everyone was all sentimental over his victory (which was nice), but rather interesting to me.  It was like the real fans really don't care about the hype of the young guns, so Rusty got their cheers as a sort of sympathy vote for being so "old."  That ought to give the bigwigs at NASCAR and the networks a clue that the fans are tired of this youth push.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 08:28:48 PM »

is broken 'cause you ran out of beer too soon.   Sad   But I felt worse for the fellow who emailed wind tunnel and said the track at KC ran out of beer before the B main.  And you think YOU had trouble?  Hah!
And what is this, who? bit....now I know you have a sense of humor  :wink:  
Seriously, glad you two had a good time and got home safely.
sally
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 09:41:14 PM »

Cheryl,
   I'm with you about  autographs!  I went to my first race at Martinsville in '01, and even had pit passes (before the "HOT" pass thing).  The infield is so small that there weren't that many people, but the way they MOBBED drivers when they got out of their cars was appalling!  I did get to talk to Mikey, but he was just walking around, not doing anything in particular, so I didn't feel I was keeping him from work, or interfering.  The way some people act is frightening!
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 09:47:37 PM »

Gee whizz, Lou was trying to be FUNNY? (actually, I caught the humor,Lou, and I thought it was funny). :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 01:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
(actually, I caught the humor,Lou, and I thought it was funny). :lol:

Thank you. I'll be appearing here all week...

Lou "Who" Lauer

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: