February 24, 2018, 05:10:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's ALL About the Money...  (Read 847 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 16, 2005, 12:19:32 PM »

From Scene Daily:

NASCAR EYES BUSCHWHACKER RULES
NASCAR officials are considering a plan for 2006 that would either
handicap Nextel Cup teams appearing sporadically in Busch Series races or reward the Busch regulars, this week's NASCAR Scene reports. NASCAR Vice President Jim Hunter says the sanctioning body is looking at the possibility of a system that gives more points or money to the Busch-only teams on a weekly basis. NASCAR is trying to find a way to reward the Busch regulars without eliminating the Cup competitors, who are popular with track owners who want to draw as many spectators as possible. "We're going to try to target more of the prize money to the teams that are running all of the Busch races, which should help them," Hunter said. "I think we'll have [some] form of a program like that in place for next year."

I suppose this is a step in the right direction, but I'll never be happy until the Busch Series is allowed to come into it's own.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 04:08:13 PM »

I disagree, Cheryl.  NASCAR is merely looking for a reasonable compromise.  We'll always see at least a few Cup regulars in Busch races, whether you like it or not.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »

I know this issue bugs you, Cheryl, but if I could go to Ky. Saturday, I'd love to see Edwards and Biffle run.
 That said, I would be happy to see someone like Jason Keller win a bunch of races like he did a few years ago.
  I think that Cup regulars run some Busch events for 2 reasons:
   1-to learn the track etc.
   2- for fun (think Mark Martin);
 As far a Nascar's solution is concerned, I would hope that they concentrate on boosting the Busch regulars. Those teams can always use financial help.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 07:54:38 PM »

I make no secret of the fact that I don't like 'whackers in the Busch races.  There are way too many teams trying to make it and the 'whackers just keep them from competing.  To me it isn't fair.  

Like Dick said I think some of them run just for the fun of it and some run to learn the track.  However, I also think they run because they are trying to attract sponsors for their own use in the future should they have their own team.  As history shows, big names get the big sponsors.  The small teams will never have the advantage the big ones have.

I would like to see Nascar limit the number of 'whackers to available spots only depending on how many regular or even new Busch teams turn out for quals.  They talk about new blood and drivers for the sport but they aren't allowing too much in.  Most new names are snapped up by teams and put into Cup after only limited experience Busch so I think those who don't get that opportunity should at least have some opportunity to run in Busch.  The trend for trucks having all the retired cup drivers in it is also going to limit new talent. If the retirees want to keep racing, then start another series rather than stealing all the thunder of the existing ones.  

They say they want to give everyone who wants to advance an opportunity, but I don't see this happening.  They are keeping their Nascar family close knit and not letting many outsiders in unless they know someone into their inner circle.  JMO...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 08:21:45 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
They say they want to give everyone who wants to advance an opportunity, but I don't see this happening.  They are keeping their Nascar family close knit and not letting many outsiders in unless they know someone into their inner circle.  JMO...

Excellent point, Vivian!   :smt038

As Ashton Lewis pointed out a couple of weeks ago, MOST of the wrecks this year have been caused by CUP drivers who have nothing to lose.  And the standalone BGN teams get caught up in them and lose points, when they are trying to run for a championship (or simply make a living) while the whackers are having all that fun.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »

Also in response to the quote from Vivian about keeping the NASCAR family close-knit, bear in mind that Reed Sorenson and David Stremme are in Ganassi-related cars, DEI owns part of the Martin Truex Jr. car and is also affiliated with the car Shane Hmiel was driving when he was suspended, and all the "independent" Ford teams now have Roush-Yates engines.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 05:29:05 PM »

Good points, Desmond and Vivian. I was out of town over the weekend, so I did not watch or even listen to much racing.
 I did read today, however that a fella from my area of Ohio named Keller is giving up on his efforts to operate a Busch team, because of lack of funding. They did not make the field for Ky. apparently because of the rule favoring the top 35 in owners points.
 If so, that is really a shame.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 04:40:21 PM »

Dick, actually it's the top 30 in Busch Series points.  But it is true that the small teams have no chance if you combine those teams with those of the Buschwhackers.

I think the 03 (Gary Keller) team withdrew before qualifying.

sally
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »

I'd like to know how the 'purses' if they can be called that, have stayed so small in the Busch series?  Is it time for Anheiser Busch to loosen the purse strings?  It's impossible to field a race team if you need prize money to do it.  HEY!  Maybe they could ad the $$ from fining to Cup teams to the Busch purses!  Keeps guys from getting more money back than they paid out, and help the Busch teams get a little more $$.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 08:44:53 PM »

Since we were out of town for a few days, I set my recorder for the Busch race rather than Cup as there were limited whackers in it.  It was very sad to me to come back and find out that a whacker had won even though I do like Carl.  I sure hope they do something.

Desmond wrote:

DEI owns part of the Martin Truex Jr. car and is also affiliated with the car Shane Hmiel was driving when he was suspended

I thought that Chance Racing, who owns the car Martin Truex drives, was a separate entity from DEI even though Teresa owns shares in it (Chance Racing) along with Dale, Jr.  They do use DEI engines I think, but that does not necessarily make it a DEI owned car.  Like I said, just what I thought about the 8 Busch car.  I could be wrong.... :?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 11:19:30 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I thought that Chance Racing, who owns the car Martin Truex drives, was a separate entity from DEI even though Teresa owns shares in it (Chance Racing) along with Dale, Jr.  They do use DEI engines I think, but that does not necessarily make it a DEI owned car.  Like I said, just what I thought about the 8 Busch car.  I could be wrong.... :?

They're still getting their engines and everything from DEI, so to me, it's nothing different.  Now Fitzbradshaw is running an operation as a "development" team for Ganassi, but I don't think they get much real support from them or Dodge.  That's a little different if you ask me.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: