November 19, 2017, 07:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joey Logano  (Read 790 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: June 13, 2005, 03:15:53 PM »

Cheryl, tell me what you think of this young man. I see that he won at Mansfield, and Mark Martin is very high on him, so what do you think?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »

Dick,

I was reluctant to post anything about this since it will spoil the race broadcast on Saturday night, but since you brought it up...

I really don't know anything about him.  This was only his second race, but obviously he's got good backing.  He actually inherited the lead when two of my favorites got together in the front of the field.  Lou pointed out he kept his car clean all night and was in position to win (which is true).  I just have a problem with these kids (in this case literally a child) winning so soon.  Call me a curmudgeon.  I guess everyone going ga-ga about him just turns me off a bit (just like with Kasey Kahne and all the other "young guns.)  

My question is after someone who just turned 15 in May winning on his second try:  Does this put Kyle Busch (at 18 or 19) over the hill now?   :lol:

Here's Lou's article from Saturday night:

http://www.usarfans.com/article.php/20050611223125956

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »

Also, nice to know whatever has happened to Shelby Howard.  He is the former Bill Davis Racing driver in the Craftsman Truck Series.

He didn't fulfill his potential in NASCAR and is now on his way back up the ranks.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 04:49:28 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Also, nice to know whatever has happened to Shelby Howard.  He is the former Bill Davis Racing driver in the Craftsman Truck Series.

He didn't fulfill his potential in NASCAR and is now on his way back up the ranks.

Shelby raced at South Boston with another team, but came back at Jennerstown with a new team backed by Tony Stewart.  He's been very competitive, but I think the quality of the competition in Hooters has surprised them a bit, just like DEI's driver, Mark McFarland.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

Thanks for posting Lou's article. I'd say that he is a pretty fair writer. I like the flow of the article.
 I'll bet Joey thought he was the real deal standing there with all those lovely young ladies! :-D

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 01:52:31 PM »

Here's a really interesting article on Logano's background from Tony Fabrizio at the Tampa Tribune:

http://autoracing.tbo.com/autoracing/MGBEHCKIX9E.html

I had no idea he was originally from Connecticut.  For some reason because he was a protege of Martin's and lived in Alpharetta, GA, I thought he was born in the south.  Guess Jeff Gordon's stepdad isn't the only one who moved to help his kid out in racing.   Wink

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 04:09:03 PM »

Thanks for the article Cheryl. I wish that I had a chance to do some things over again, but I'm not sure that I would have had the time or Money to push a kid of mine in racing. Of course, we spent what seemed to me to be a small fortune on our kids horses and related projects back in the 80's. Most of it seemed to be just work for me but the girls loved their horses. So who knows.

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: