November 19, 2017, 01:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What would you do to end NASCAR races in the Busch and Nextel Cup series?  (Voting closed: April 13, 2004, 03:52:27 AM)
Adopt the "green-white-checkers" finishes from the Craftsman Truck Series - 1 (20%)
Allow racing back to the caution with three laps or fewer remaining - 1 (20%)
Both - 3 (60%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll--how to end NASCAR races  (Read 806 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 13, 2004, 03:52:27 AM »

This question is in response to the chaotic finish at Nashville last Saturday, and the long time it took NASCAR to establish the final order of finish.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 04:30:46 AM »

mark guys at the start/finish line. unless they have marking points at different turns like with f1, the frozen field will continue to create controversy. i did like the immediate slowing down of cars for safety reasons, but seemingly everything else has just gone haywire.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:32:15 PM »

I wasn't that big of a fan of freezing the field from the beginning.  I understand that it's for safety, but we never used to have those problems very often in the past.  It only started when certain team cars began slowing down dramatically about 5 years ago to let their teammates or extended teammates in the same make of car back on the lead lap.  

The free pass back to the lead lap is totally absurd!  It's like some sort of 21st century "kinder gentler" NASCAR where nobody has to earn anything anymore.  And now this season, it's causing nothing but trouble and confusion during almost every race.  

But NASCAR has gone on the record saying they want everyone to have a chance to "get" a championship.  I read this to mean you no longer have to earn it.  NASCAR will just keep giving you lap after lap back to make sure more cars on are the lead lap again and can come back and win a race and ultimately this ridiculous "chase" thing they call a championship.  Is this competition or a social welfare system where everyone gets their turn at the top?  

Saturday's final scoring was terrible!  Cars wrecking get higher positions than cars that passed them while they were spinning in the infield?

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 08:38:36 PM »

If they insist on freezing the field for safety, then within 20 laps of the checker, they shouldn't count the laps run under caution.  The debacle on Saturday basically was a 3 lap "shootout", and created the problem.  Let the cars pit without costing us racing laps, then race to the finish.  At least that way, guys have a chance to make a difference in the finishing order.
     I totally agree with Cheryl about "giving" lots of guys a chance at a championship.  That's where the whole "chase" format came from.  They want to pretend that, no matter if you are 400 points back of the leader with 10 races to go, you still "deserve" a chance to win.  What a pile of  sh--!
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: