November 24, 2017, 09:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nascar opts out of Fox extension  (Read 1190 times)
sally
« on: June 04, 2005, 03:38:29 PM »

Nascar has decided not to pick up it's option with Fox for 2006 thru 2008.  They want to have both/all networks on the same schedule.  They are still talking to Fox, but ABC/ESPN has expressed interest too. (from Jayski this AM)  Hmmm.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 04:59:06 PM »

Wow...

I would not miss FOX if they were gone.  I thought ESPN was already out also.  Will be interesting to see what happens.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 11:56:23 PM »

Even if ESPN/ABC return, they won't be able to make things just as they were before.  Some of its former on-air hosts will no doubt have no interest in returning, and NASCAR will have stricter controls over its broadcasts than they had the last time the networks televised.

Also, Fox may still telecast the races.  It would simply be under a new contract, perhaps for less money.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 01:30:11 AM »

Wow!  Sounds like "big doins" were happening with regards to TV while we're here at Dover.  Sure hope this rumor is true.  I would NOT miss Fox a bit (as everyone probably knows).  I'll taken NBC, ESPN/ABC or even CBS back.

Cheryl
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 04:18:47 AM »

Is it possible that NASCAR maybe realizing what a lot of race fans & writers have been saying about the quality of TV coverage this season?
Maybe NASCAR wants to put FOX on notice to "clean up their act" or else.
 It will be interesting to see what NASCAR does with their CTS contract with SPEED.
sally
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 11:56:27 AM »

jw, I wish that quality of the broadcast had anything to do with it.  There is only one motivation for anything that happens in Nascar these days.  MONEY.  Ratings are up, and Brian France sees this as another opportunity get deeper in the wallet of whatever network(s) end up with the rights.  Brian France doesn't feel he has enough money.  Ever.  Don't ever make the mistake of thinking that his motivation is anythin more than that.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 09:10:27 PM »

Just read an update on Jayski that there was more to the story than we originally heard or read.  Not sure what is really happening now.
sally
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 01:39:38 AM »

Vivian,

Apparently Fox opted out of the 2 year extension, and wants to re up with Nascar for 6 years.  They want a long term deal rather than the 2 years.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Vivian,

Apparently Fox opted out of the 2 year extension, and wants to re up with Nascar for 6 years.  They want a long term deal rather than the 2 years.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday too.  I knew it was too much to hope for that Fox would be gone.  They are too busy slapping themselves on the back about *their* popularity because of NASCAR.  They'd never give that up.

And since they're willing to pay more to NA$CAR for a long-term contract, you know that means the viewers will be the real ones paying the price with even more commercials.     :cry:

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 01:49:37 PM »

Here's an article from racingone with the author's ideas of spliting up the TV season.  I certainly don't like the idea of the Chase being a separate contract, but I can certainly see something like this happening.  Funny how NASCAR claimed that we'd know where to find the races every week when they dumped ESPN and TNN and now we may end up with even more networks in the future.

http://www.racingone.com/article.asp?artnum=23013

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 04:01:59 PM »

I agree with Cheryl.  The three-way split makes sense to me.  However, ABC and ESPN won't be able to use "side by side" as they have on the IndyCar broadcasts, even if they wanted to.

I share Cheryl's fears that we'll see less of the races than ever.  Maybe we'll see more "cautions for debris."

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »

It is only 12:30PM Tuesday out here on the left coast and since yesterday noon, 4 different people have come into the shop saying they have lost interest in Nascar TV and didn't watch the race Sunday.  Keep in mind, we are a very small shop in a very small town so if we are getting that reaction in such a short time, what is happening in larger areas?  Plus, one vendor was just in and he said the race coverage Sunday was pathetic in his opinion and that almost a 5 second lead for the winner was not racing for him.  So we aren't the only ones disillusioned with Nascar and race coverage.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »

That is interesting, Vivian. HMMMM! :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 05:55:09 AM »

Everybody is forgetting this wildcard issue...The PGA Tour TV contract expires either after this season or after the 2006 season.  What happens to this contract will have a role in who gets to show NASCAR.  
 If NBC, ABC & CBS gets any part of the next contract, PGA Tour golf will have to be figured in to the plans.  This could mean more races on cable &  that would go against Brian France's tv plans.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: