November 19, 2017, 02:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shane Hmiel suspended indefinitely  (Read 3125 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 07:25:21 PM »

Quote from: "Smallblock bored"
Further the use of opiate based pain relievers is really a problem. It is pretty heavy in many social circles. I've had my back fused at L5, it's no fun. The range of things that "work" when the pain is real bad is limited. I don't know what Mark Martin took when he had his back worked on but trust me, it can hurt. How drivers can live within the set rules of substances that can help with the pain they must endure I don't know. I'm no pill popper but when I first crawled from the hospital bed it was bad............real bad! How a driver can get through the pain of the early stage and then get back to normal is no easy task, but the damn opiate stuff is out there and if you dare walk that line you may slip.

Multiple ARCA champion, Tim Steele, admitted to becoming addicted to prescription pain killers a couple years ago.  He was not driving at the time.  He'd been out a couple years after a terrible wreck where he injured his back.  He didn't admit to the addiction until he supposedly had gone through rehab.  He came back and ran a couple of races, but I haven't heard a thing about him since.  Don't know how ARCA treated this, but then they aren't NASCAR.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 02:52:57 AM »

Tim has run a few races in Arca this year.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 04:03:16 PM »

I gotta  say this thing with shane hmiel doesn't surprise me.

I just hope he gets the help he needs and is able to clean up his act.

He too me seems like an arrogant kid.

If i ran nascar i may give him 1 more shot but i'd tell him if he screws up again that he is done.

I'll bet he has trouble getting a top ride when he comes back though.

I think in a way nascar needs to come out and say what drug they found in hmiel's system.

I was going to say something else but now i can't think of what i was going to say if i think of it i'll post it on the board.
Vivian
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »

From some of the interviews I have heard, I think a lot of drivers want more testing and frequent testing done.  But it seems like a lot of media and drivers think Shane should be allowed to come back and race if he goes through re-hab again.  I really think the reaction depends on who it is and who they are connected to in Nascar.  His name means a lot in a certain circle, so it does not surprise me that certain people want him back in after he straightens out .

I am sorry, but I still think he should be banned for life because too many people are in jeopardy.  And listening to the drivers, I think a lot of them feel the same way.  JMO...
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 12:54:46 PM »

I don't care what his name is (or anybody's elses), I still think he should be banned for life!  Zero tolerance means zero tolerance!  He was given EVERY opportunity and threw them away TWICE.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 09:15:17 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I don't care what his name is (or anybody's elses), I still think he should be banned for life!  Zero tolerance means zero tolerance!  He was given EVERY opportunity and threw them away TWICE.  

Cheryl
What if the test that Nascar did was wrong??

Generally I agree that two chances are more than enough. But let's not throw due process out the window quite yet. Let's see how this story plays out a while. JMHO, as Vivian would say.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »

Dick wrote:

What if the test that Nascar did was wrong??

I do respect and appreciate that remark.  However, it took almost a week to get the results and I would be willing to bet that they did several re-runs on the test to make absolutely sure of what was showing.  And I would not be surprised if they sent it to at least 2 different  labs.  The place I used to work in CA would do that if there were any doubts whatsoever.  Since someone's livelihood is at stake, I am sure they would not release anything unless it was absolute.  JMO...
sally
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 09:46:47 PM »

You might be absolutely right about that, Vivian, but I, for one, would like to know just what substance they checked for.  I also think the timing is just right for Nascar.  With Congress investigating the stick and ball sports for steroid abuse, and threatening to dig deeper into Nascar, isn't the timing just a bit conventient for Nascar to be able to point at Shane Hmiel and say, "See!  We told you our 'testing' program works".  With everything that's gone on with Baby Brian being at the helm, I'm just not ready to concede their word is law until I get more information.  I read that Shane has hired a lawyer, and is willing to submit to blood, urine, and hair testing, contending that he is not in violation.  It may be nothing more than an attempt to save face, but being declared guilty by someone with an agenda isn't enough for me.  Maybe, with more information, I will agree completely with you.  I just always remember that incident with the caution lights and Carl Edwards.  Just makes me wonder.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 12:39:40 AM »

Sally wrote:

I read that Shane has hired a lawyer, and is willing to submit to blood, urine, and hair testing, contending that he is not in violation.

I think time has passed and and he would and will test clean if he does do the tests now.  Can't go back and get all that stuff (hair, urine, blood) from Charlotte so I don't think that would prove anything.  I am not trying to be controversial, but it is just too far after the fact now.  Do you think it could have been something in his WinFuel or Trimspa stuff???
sally
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 01:49:09 AM »

Vivian, the point of testing hair samples is that substances linger in the system and show up in hair long after the fact.  That would be the real test.  I had the same thought about the Win Fuel and Trims Spa stuff.  I have no idea what is in them, or if it could cause a positive reaction in a broad spectrum test.  That's why I think knowing the supposed substance that was found is important.  I know people can test positive for heroine if they eat poppy seeds, for heaven's sake.  Again, I'm not saying Shanve is innocent, but I'm not willing to  say he's guilty on the information I have heard so far.  I guess I find it disturbing that everyone seems to be willing to condemn him on Nascar's word.  They haven't proved that upstanding to me.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 12:20:47 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I read that Shane has hired a lawyer, and is willing to submit to blood, urine, and hair testing, contending that he is not in violation.

I think time has passed and and he would and will test clean if he does do the tests now.  Can't go back and get all that stuff (hair, urine, blood) from Charlotte so I don't think that would prove anything.  I am not trying to be controversial, but it is just too far after the fact now.  Do you think it could have been something in his WinFuel or Trimspa stuff???

I'm with you, Vivian!  The original test was two weeks ago now, so, to me, any further tests NOW don't prove a thing.  But then I don't know anything about how long illegal drugs remain in your system.   I DO know there are ways to fake the tests as we had some employees here who had literature about how to fake a urine test.  You would simply not believe the lengths to which some people will go to beat "the man."

Quote from: "Sally"
Again, I'm not saying Shanve is innocent, but I'm not willing to say he's guilty on the information I have heard so far. I guess I find it disturbing that everyone seems to be willing to condemn him on Nascar's word. They haven't proved that upstanding to me.

But the bottom line is it's their sandbox and they make the rules.  I heard several drivers say this over the weekend:  that they are independent contractors and they have to abide by whatever rules NASCAR makes and however they interepret them.  As fans, we have long known it is not a democracy.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »

Unfortunately, you won't get any answers from NASCAR.  It is its policy not to disclose the exact drugs for which a driver tests positive.  In fact, no American professional sports league does, citing privacy regulations.

The World Anti-Doping Agency, which administers the Olympic tests, does disclose the substances taken; then again, it is administered by international laws, not U.S. laws.

It is interesting to note that WADA also takes two samples from athletes.  Both samples must test positive before it sanctions an athlete.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 04:53:49 PM »

I heard it remains in the hair longer, about 90 days but can't recall where I heard that.

Marty Smith was on Nascar Nation last night and they talked in depth about the situation.  As Desmond said, they will not reveal what it was they found in his system.  Another interesting thing is that it seems from what I read and hear, Nascar has to really set a standard here and be firm about the suspension because the govt is watching along with the world.  They don't want anyone else investigating so I am sure they will stick to their guns on this suspension.  I doubt if the appeal will reverse things if he does go through with it.  And since they are contractors, one would think his car owner would be the one doing the appealing for him.  JMHO (Hi Dick!)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2005, 12:51:22 PM »

Article from thatsracin:

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/11856441.htm

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »

Thanks for that link.  It is interesting that he cannot appeal but you know that is probably for the best.  However, I still tend to think they will eventually let him back in.  After all, they are one big family and you just don't shut your family out indefinitely.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: