November 22, 2017, 12:03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shane Hmiel suspended indefinitely  (Read 3127 times)
Vivian
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:51:47 AM »

For the first time in ages I just checked out nascar.com and read about this second suspension for substance abuse.  You can use the link to read the article.  I must say I was not surprised.  He was at Dover and had posted fastest time and is being replaced in the 32 WIN car by Ron Hornaday.  Guess they tested him at Lowes last weekend and the results were something on their banned list.  

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/bg/06/02/shmiel.suspended/index.html

Well, shall we place bets on how soon he will be back this time?
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:11:42 PM »

I was surprised the Toronto Star today had a small blurb about this very topic.  Sadly, you only knew it was a matter of time before Shane slipped back.   IMHO, I'd be surprised to see him back at all..  Everyone criticized NASCAR for allowing him back in 2004.  I highly doubt they will let it slide so easily this time.  I bet some of his fellow racers are wondering if this "substance" had something to do with his on-track crashes/actions.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »

Hmiel should be suspended for at least two years because this was his second offense.  

I would call for a lifetime suspension for his third offense, but I hesitate to do so because any punishment can be appealed, a la Pete Rose trying to come back to baseball.

If NASCAR is trying to be a legitimate sport, it should have legitimate punishments.

P.S. No mention of this on NASCAR Nation last night, not even in the news segment.  Has the dumbing down of the show already started?

P.P.S. Hmiel's last drug suspension was announced before a Busch Series race at Dover in September 2003.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 06:13:45 PM »

Great points Desmond.. I agree.   At least 2 years..  

What a way to throw away your driving career.  He had the inside track to DEI with his Dad already there, and now who will touch him after this?  I wonder how his sponsor feels at the moment.. All that money spent for commercials, etc. with Shane and now he's done (at least for quite some time).
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »

I think he should be banned for life!  Jim Hunter is on XM today saying "we have zero tolerance..." well he got a second chance already, so obviously that's not true.  For gov't security clearances, there actually IS zero tolerances.

As David Green said today in an interview on XM, "How many other good drivers out there are there who are just dying for the chance the kid was handed and will never get it?"

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 07:54:36 PM »

Does anyone know what "substance" Hmiel had in his system?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »

Nascar has never announced what substance a driver was found in violation of using.  Tim Richmond was banned for taking the anti aids drugs years ago, and it never came out untilyears later.  Pot, coke, cough syrup?  No on knows.  Does anyone know just what ARE the substances Nascar has banned?

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 10:28:38 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Nascar has never announced what substance a driver was found in violation of using.  Tim Richmond was banned for taking the anti aids drugs years ago, and it never came out untilyears later.  Pot, coke, cough syrup?  No on knows.  Does anyone know just what ARE the substances Nascar has banned?

Actually, I heard Tim Richmond was disqualified for using Sudafed.   Go figure... I can guaratee Hmiel was using something a bit stronger than that.

Cheryl  :lol:
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:15:05 PM »

Personally, I think he should be banned for life.  He has proven he does not have the will power not to do whatever it is he does to make him test positive so just because he is clean for a short while does not mean it will last forever, IMO.  Also, I am not a firm believer in re-hab. It never completely works for most people.   But then again, this is just my opinion.  Just watching him on the track the past few months made me suspicious and I feared for a lot of drivers who were near him.  Mike Joy may have thought he was Mr. Excitement Jr along with the rest of the announcers, but I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen to someone else on the track with him.  JMO...
TexasDeb
Sophmore

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 01:02:44 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Personally, I think he should be banned for life.  He has proven he does not have the will power not to do whatever it is he does to make him test positive

You took the words right out of my mouth.  I might be slightly flexible for a guy who may have just made a mistake at a party.  But to know you're going to be tested and blow it anyway means you have a problem that's out of control.  It's sad to watch a young guy throw his career away, but NASCAR need to land on him like a box of rocks.  If they don't, the remaining few shreds of credibility will fall away.

Deb
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 01:50:53 AM »

I just read on Nascar.com that Mark Martin said it is conceivable that a person can make a mistake twice and that he thinks Hmiel will eventually be back.  I am dreadfully disappointed with that re-action.  Yes, you can make mistakes twice or even more than twice, but when it is a mistake that can potentially kill someone, then I can't see letting that person be in a position to make those kind of mistakes over again.  JMO...
sally
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 03:38:01 AM »

Maybe Mark Martin has that attitude because early in his career he was quite a partier.  I remember hearing that someone talked to him about his excessive use of alcohol early in his career.  Apparently he was smart enough...or strong enough, to turn things around.

Sally
Smallblock bored
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 02:11:23 PM »

I love the old racing flicks, many of them were made in 60's and is a great wide scope of fine to watered down selections. Many of which hit on drinking the night before a race to ease pressure and such as the drivers were portrayed as well as a wild bunch of cats. Those were the old days and it was a make believe setting to be sure but in all honesty my dad drove short track as did 4 or 5 five of my uncles (his brothers- no mom side stuff) and trust me at 5-9 years old I saw some pretty wild things. Not alot were my dad or his brothers even though they were involved in the "scene", but all told they partied and had a good time (the whole pit area seemed to have some sort of "pop" at hand after hours and less out in the open prior to racing. But it was there. The lifestyle of a racer in 1970 seemed to be the pinacle of life and to those who threw marriage and paycheck to the high banks of hell, it must have seemed that way for sure.
 However this day in age drinking is very hard to hide in a public setting but what a guy does the night before a race is anyones guess. They have to handle "it" somehow. The big talk of the town back in the first suspension was pot, I know a few guys that travel to distant tracks and a few that are there at the Busch north series, talk was pot.
 Further the use of opiate based pain relievers is really a problem. It is pretty heavy in many social circles. I've had my back fused at L5, it's no fun. The range of things that "work" when the pain is real bad is limited. I don't know what Mark Martin took when he had his back worked on but trust me, it can hurt. How drivers can live within the set rules of substances that can help with the pain they must endure I don't know. I'm no pill popper but when I first crawled from the hospital bed it was bad............real bad! How a driver can get through the pain of the early stage and then get back to normal is no easy task, but the damn opiate stuff is out there and if you dare walk that line you may slip.
  My back tells me things everyday
What I can do (with no pain)
What I can do (with no drugs)
How I will act during the day
 I'm sure there are drivers out there are in "pain"
  But I heard it was pot.......but I put little stock in gosip and things I don't know and  don't see.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 12:02:15 AM »

Maybe Mark Martin feels the way he does because Steve Hmiel, Shane's father, was once his crew chief.  Steve is well-connected with many of the legendary names (Petty, Earnhardt, Roush) of the sport.

I would hate to see Shane turn into Steve Howe.  The baseball relief pitcher was given seven chances and failed every time.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 11:59:25 AM »

I hope that Shane gets the help he needs to deal with this problem.  What an incredible waste.  Guess this will prove to Congress that Nascar has a handle on any drug problems they might have.

Sally
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: