November 24, 2017, 04:48:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Idea  (Read 1972 times)
Vivian
« on: April 13, 2004, 12:49:35 AM »

to have an area to post general stuff.  Thanks, Cheryl!   Now we can really bs with each other.  Cheesy  
Just got home earlier today after my Easter trip and am currently watching IWC and thought I would check out what happened while I was gone.
You guys were all quiet, it seems.  So what did you all do and did you have a good holiday?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:42:21 AM »

Oh, boy!  Another new forum to post our comments!

As for Easter, I did what so many others did by going to church and visiting my family.  Specifically, I visited my paternal grandmother (father's mother) in Los Angeles and ate ham and macaroni and cheese.

I also watched Phil Mickelson win the Masters golf.  What a great win that was!  Everyone was waiting to see him win one of the major tournaments.  

By the way, did you know that Dale Jarrett would have been on the PGA Tour if he had not made it in racing?  In fact, Mickelson, Jarrett, Wayne Gretzky, and a fourth person to be chosen in a contest will soon play golf in a round sponsored by Ford.  The contest is at the web site http://www.philsonthephone.com.

This is also to remind you to post your feedback on the Buddy Wayne Barefoot site below.  You promised to do that later this week.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 02:18:13 AM »

Desmond, went back to your site and today I signed the guest book and posted comments.  Aren't you proud of me?  :roll:
Now, to try to answer the questions you posed on the other forum.
1.  No, I don't think he would be my favorite driver because I don't want anyone to run away with almost all the trophies and money.  I just don't believe in monopolizing a system.
2.  Old school, new school is okay.  I like mature people.
3.  He would create lots of trouble for Nascar.  They would show him who is really in charge.  Only one, DE could get away with whatever he wanted.
4.  Can't really compare him to anyone that I can think of and why would we want duplicates of anyone else anyway?  His uniqueness is what makes him.  Isn't that why you created him?

Okay, everyone else out there!  Throw in your opinions and thoughts, please.  We need to add some more substance to this thread.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 04:55:04 PM »

Vivian,

I agree that his win percentage is unrealistic, given the parity in NASCAR.  However, I had to give him all these victories for good reasons.

What I did was insert him into the fields of all the Cup races.  I would give him a finishing position, and everyone else's standing would be adjusted.  In August 2003, I had him (already) with eight race wins, but some inconsistency had him only 26 points ahead of Matt Kenseth.  I wanted to make him the first rookie to win the Cup championship, and the first entertainment figure to win any sports title.

I realized that the only way to do this was to have him win as many races as possible.  So I gave BW seven wins in nine starts.  The point lead ballooned from 26 to 622 by the end of the season.  My plan worked better than I thought.

The Daytona 500 "win" was largely symbolic.  I thought that, if it had happened, it would make him a cult figure for the ages, the biggest person in the South since Robert E. Lee.  The remaining wins--if this was the last race at the Rock, I wanted him to win it; Bristol would have made him the first driver to win his first three starts at the same track, and Darlington, well, just happened.

So I apologize if he's won too often, but that's just part of his legend. BW is simply the Tiger Woods of his sport.

Besides, if he loses his battles with NASCAR, there's always his careers in entertainment.  Officials know that, and may be less likely to punish him for his crimes than under normal circumstances.  Again, not fair, but that's the way it would be.

Finally, Vivian, thanks for recognizing his uniqueness.  I hope others do, maybe even a publisher who will pay me for it Smiley

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 04:39:58 PM »

Here's more on Buddy Wayne's race wins, and the significance of each.  I do not assign him a win unless there is a deeper meaning.

[list=]Las Vegas, March 2003--This was one week after I had him winning nine Grammy Awards in one night, which would be a record.
Bristol, March 2003--The Iraq war had just started, and why not a man whose charity efforts are geared toward the military?
Texas, March 2003--If you've been to my site, you have heard of his cousin Bunky (real name Britton).  He won a major midget-car championship on the same day, and the two talked by satellite after BW's win.
Charlotte, May 2003--Why not the Coca-Cola "600" (rain-shortened) for the win that breaks the single-season rookie record?
Dover, June 2003--Race dedicated to military.
Sears Point, June 2003--First rookie to win a road course race.
Daytona, July 2003--Car's paint scheme dedicated to American patriotism the day after Independence Day.
Indianapolis, August 2003--First rookie to win the Brickyard 400.
Bristol, August 2003--With the threat of a suspension lifted, he wins and completes the first same-weekend Cup/Busch/truck sweep in NASCAR history.
Darlington, August 2003--Who better than the ultimate son of the South to win the last Labor Day Southern 500?
Richmond, Sept. 2003--Two things here: it's the Chevy Rock and Roll 400, and the last time he was there, he endured a crash so scary everone thought he was dead.
Dover, Sept. 2003--Back-to-back rookie sweeps (Jimmie Johnson, 2002) and sets up for history on two important tracks.
Talladega, Sept. 2003--Ties Richard Petty's and Jeff Gordon's modern-era single season record on fastest track in NASCAR; beats idol's team (Dale Earnhardt Inc.) at own game.
Charlotte, Oct. 2003--Returns to his home state and breaks the record.
Martinsville, Oct. 2003--This win gave him victories at all the short tracks and sets up points title win on the traditional track in Atlanta, with three races to spare.
Rockingham, Nov. 2003--Last fall race at the track, and BW's mother Brenda is pictured on the car.
Daytona, Feb. 2004--Enough said.
Rockingham, Feb. 2004--May be the last race there.  Also, would match Jeff Gordon in 1997 with wins in the first two races.
Bristol, Mar. 2004--Would make him the first driver to win the first three starts at a Nextel Cup track.[/list]
I have stripped him of the win at Darlington because I had no intentions of having him win there.

Enjoy today's race, everybody.

Michael
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 10:11:34 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I also watched Phil Mickelson win the Masters golf.  What a great win that was!  Everyone was waiting to see him win one of the major tournaments.

Wasn't that just...wonderful? Now all the "expert" sportswriters can pick on someone else like they did poor Ol' Phil. Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: