November 19, 2017, 04:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony was on Wind Tunnel  (Read 1518 times)
Vivian
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:24:34 PM »

Tony Stewart was on Wind Tunnel Sunday night and I forgot to post my views on this.

To me he was very refreshing.  He was so open in so many of the things he talked about.  Some of the emails and calls wanted him to go back to his old personality while one woman said she missed the final season episode of Desperate Housewives just to see him.  She never liked him before but now likes him because he has changed the way he does things and reacts so differently than he used to.  I thought that was a big compliment to him.  I wish now I had emailed or called.  The only thing he didn't talk about that I wish he had was his dog rescue program or whatever it is where dogs are concerned.  BTW, he had some complimentary things to say about Pamela Anderson as a mother to her two sons.  But then, just before Robin Miller left the air after his part, he asked the question "What does Tony know about Motherhood?"  Both Tony and Dave said they didn't have any idea what he meant.  Couldn't tell if they were serious or if they were just shining the remark on.  Personally I thought it was a great show and he did admit the one crash was his fault but didn't know exactly what happened.  I guess with everyone so close and racing so hard, it must be easy to do something like that and not be sure why it happened.  Did Joe let up just a bit or did Tony maybe press the pedal just a tiny bit?  We will never know.

Anyway, good show.  Sorry I didn't tape it to view again.   Wink
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 01:08:16 AM »

I agree, Vivian.  I thought he seemed to be having a good time...something he hasn't done for a while.  He even seems to enjoy the racingand the insanity that goes with it.  He has such a great sense of humor...and isn't afraid to be totally honest.   Whatever he did, it has made him a happier man.

sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

I did not get to see the show. Tony is becoming a favorite of mine, (don't tell anyone on the Roush boards),  :-D . His purchase of Eldora Speedway put him over the top for me. Tony is an A J Foyt kind of pure racer. Nothing wrong with that, even tho ole AJ made a mistake or two along the way. Heck, who hasn't?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »

Dick, great comparison!  Stewart has called Foyt his idol, and in fact, Stewart almost drove for Foyt in last year's Indianapolis 500.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 09:59:57 PM »

Desmond wrote:

Stewart almost drove for Foyt in last year's Indianapolis 500.

I think he did sit in the car and a few reporters ran with it; but I don't think it was ever totally confirmed that he may drive last year.  I think it all just turned out to be a publicity stunt.  Tony had already said prior to that and has confirmed several times since then that he would not race Indy because it is not fair to his team and he would never put his Nascar ride in a position of maybe having to sacrifice the run at Charlotte.  On Wind Tunnel last Sunday he confirmed one more time his loyalty to his Nascar job and team and does not want to take a chance on getting hurt or not being able to start the 600.  I think sometimes the media is very misleading about things.  JMO...
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »

I don't know.  I refuse to think that Tony Stewart is that phony.

On the other hand, the once-great Indy 500 is now reduced to a bunch of gimmicks.  Tony last year, Danica Patrick this year, David Letterman every year.

On the Race Talk page, I want your opinion of some proposed changes to the Indy 500.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 08:45:11 PM »

Desmond wrote:

I refuse to think that Tony Stewart is that phony.

I appreciate that remark, but I still like to believe what I hear Tony himself say rather than what the media says for him.

Not trying to start controversy here, but sometimes the source (Tony in this case) is more reliable than the speculators or rumor mongers.  JMO...
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 12:07:56 AM »

Why is Danica a "gimmick"? She put her time in over in Europe. It is not her fault the media is all over her.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 12:13:40 AM »

Ohhh maybe I should not have posted the above message. Or maybe I should have left the drivers name out and asked why having a well trained female in the Indy 500 is considered a gimmick if she spent half her teenage years learning/racing overseas. Calling her a "gimmick" puts her at the level of the all female pit crew used at a truck race in Texas a few years ago.

Vivian
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 12:54:19 AM »

Brian, I can't speak for Cheryl but I don't think there was anything wrong with your question.  And I wondered  the same thing you did.  I also think it is okay to mention names.  I think anytime a female drives any type of race car, the media hypes it up but it does not mean she is not a true competitor.
TexasDeb
Sophmore

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:35:16 AM »

I try to be very careful to separate my opinion of a driver from my gut reaction to their media coverage.  Danica Patrick is being shoved down our throats, and most of us are gagging.  That's not her fault, and is no reflection on her driving ability.  I have the same issue with Dale Jr.  He's a good driver and a nice young man, but I practically froth at the mouth when they have to show him running mid-pack instead of the drivers racing for the lead.

On the earlier topic of Tony sitting in an Indy car last year ... sigh ... ol' AJ has become a joke.  When Tony George wants to build suspense, all he has to do is poke his old friend.  Stewart wouldn't know how to be phony if you paid him, but I can't say the same for one of my all-time favorites.  It's sad, but at least it worked out for the best this year.

BTW, that's not intended as a bash of A.J. Foyt.  He said himself that he "needs to talk to the nut doctor" about trying to put a third car in the show.  I think that was an attempt to make clear that the Bump Day excitement wasn't his idea.

Deb
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 01:33:37 AM »

After A.J.'s third car got in he was asked if he did it as a favor to Tony George do stir up some excitement. I forgot his exact words but he made it clear he did no one any favors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: