November 23, 2017, 02:00:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for Feedback on NASCAR Nation  (Read 3797 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 26, 2005, 01:49:16 PM »

Speedcouch was contacted by a producer of NASCAR Nation, who has asked if the members of this forum could provide feedback about the show.  This demonstrates that many people working for Fox and SPEED read Speedcouch and do care about our opinions.  I've set up this forum so we can let the producers know what we like and don't like about the show.  

As with all Speedcouch forums, this is NOT a place for abusive comments or bashing.  We're going to try this as an experiment to see if we can provide some constructive feedback on the show.  

Please remember that the new head of SPEED Channel is the one who made the decision to change the direction of the show beginning in June.  NASCAR Images will follow through on those plans.

The producer is not responsible for the major changes in the philosophy of the show.  But he cares enough about viewer opinions to ask for our input on the things over which he does have control.  

As with all Speedcouch forums, remember the people affiliated with the broadcasts are professsionals and deserve respect.  If this turns into nothing but a place to bash individuals, I will not hesitate to delete posts or this forum entirely.  So, as always, please try to temper your criticisms with an equal amount of positive feedback.

Thanks!
Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »

OK, I'm really trying to be nice here, OK?  When I heard that "Nation" wants to be more like Entertainment tonight, I groaned.  Out loud.  I admire the concept of wanting to show more of what life is like for the drivers and teams outside the track, but isn't that what "Nascar 360" and "NBS 24/7" do?  And they can do it in depth.

They have a decent core of people there, but the "Hollywood" chick is embarrassing.  Not only does she have no knowlege of racing in general, and Nascar in particular, but she seems ill prepared when she 'interviews' drivers.  Someone needs to realize that, to do the job properly, it requires you to have people that have some basic knowlege of the sport they are covering.  The threat of even more fluff programming on the subject of Nascar is not very appealing.  News, interviewing drivers outside the track, maybe.  But an "ET" style show?  Just one more thing I would avoid like the plague.  

I do find it refreshing to think that someone would actually be interested in what actual fans think.  I can only hope someone will listen.

If tis is too honest, Cheryl, you can delete it.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:16:19 PM »

Off the top of my head, I wish they would do clips about the drivers that some other show has not already done.  Something new, something 'fresh'.

I like the news segment but wish it was at the beginning of the show with maybe a short recap of new stuff at the end.  I really like Connie LeGrand and think she adds class when she does the news.  She is an asset, imo.

The segment of fans' responses to a question asked at the track is good but when they want us to email them our opinions about that subject, the subject has already closed.  I think it would be good if they did want viewer participation, to ask the next race's question on Thursday night's show so their answers could also be included in that segment.

After tonight's show, I may have more input and I will seriously watch it in the future to see if there are other things a home viewer could give input about.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:23:14 PM »

I do not watch the show. I have zero interest in drivers lives off the track and other "fluff" stuff.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 12:02:44 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
If this is too honest, Cheryl, you can delete it.

You are okay, Sally, but try to think of what you actually like on the current show.  Hopefully, if enough people talk about those things, maybe they will remain in the future.  

Not sure who you mean by the "hollywood chick."  Who is that?  

As Vivian mentioned, I also like the XM fan soundoff thing.  Really enjoyed the answers about the length of the Coke 600 last night.  Found it interesting that all fo the women (like me) think the length of the race is just fine.   Smiley

Also, I like most of the current staff, Ralph, Krista and Connie.  Don't care for Jon and Michelle (?) at all.  Too bad Krista is leaving for another job in Pittsburgh.  She seems very geniune in her enthusiasm about racing and compared to a lot of folks on other shows lately who seem to work very hard to pump themselves and the viewers up, that is quite refreshing.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »

Sally, I have the same question about the Hollywood chick as Cheryl does.  Is it Michelle Fizer or Courtney George?  Can't be Krista Voda.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »

Michelle .

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 08:56:26 PM »

The show last night was good.  I did not miss Beyond the Wheel at all.  That should be a show all it's own, imo.  I think they had some good interviews and the other stuff they did was okay by me.  This is not always the case.  One thing I noticed was that they did not seem nearly as dramatic as some of the other shows and I like that.

Another thing I thought of was when they do the clips like the karting one, sometimes they really zap through it too fast.  The street scene was good but again, they need someone more knowledgeable about the drivers and the Nascar world.

I will keep checking things out.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 12:13:56 AM »

I hardly ever watch the show because i'm too busy doing other things to watch the show.
TexasDeb
Sophmore

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 01:18:08 AM »

I have to be honest and say I've never watched much of NASCAR Nation.  It's on so often that I can't commit that much time watching hoping for content I might be interested in.  Even if I'm home when it's on, I usually choose coming online looking for news.

I used to tape qualifying and happy hour when they were during the workday.  I just don't bother any more.  Some of it is my general disenchantment with the current state of NASCAR.  But is it also because the Internet has become the primary source of information for the serious race fan?  I suspect that's the case.  We can get "snippets" from the myriad racing sites without waiting for a television time block.

JMHO, I'd like to see a racing show that truly goes behind the scenes, in depth.  Spend a whole 30 minute segment on the logistics for one race team one weekend, for example.  The television folks seem to think the drivers are the only draw.  I think race fans, even the new ones, would like to see more about the sport, not just the marque personalities.

Gosh I'm being talkative tonight  Wink .  I realize this isn't specific to NASCAR Nation, but it's feedback on why I don't watch and what I'd rather see.

Deb
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 06:24:05 AM »

I have not seen many epsidoes of NASCAR Nation, but this is what I think about the show:

1. "Beyond the Wheel" getting it's own timeslot is great.  That is a great program.
2. Do not eliminate the news segment   Connie LeGrand is very poised & knowledgeable.
3.  Losing Krista Voda will hurt the show.  Replacing her with Leann Tweeden will do bigger damage.  NASCAR fans will not have much patience for Leann, especially if Leann is replacing Krista.
4. It will be a big mistake if the 'reworking' of NASCAR Nation ignores the Busch & Truck Series.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 02:00:45 PM »

Quote from: "TexasDeb"
I have to be honest and say I've never watched much of NASCAR Nation.  It's on so often that I can't commit that much time watching hoping for content I might be interested in.  Even if I'm home when it's on, I usually choose coming online looking for news.

You made some excellent points in your post, Deb!  There really is so much information available immediately on the internet anymore that news shows tend to be way behind these days.  It's not like back in 1996 when RPM2Night first came on the air and got all the scoops.  NASCAR news on the internet was really few and far between back then.  Now we have Jayski doing updates every few hours, thatsracin, and hundreds of other outlets on the net.

I agree with JW that few serious racing fans will take that Lee Ann person seriously...Guys will probably tune in just for her looks though, I'm sure.   Wink

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 03:07:32 AM »

I think I'm going to encourage Staci to apply for the job of new 'host' of the show.  She has the physical attributes they seem to be looking for.  The only drawback would be that she has a fairly extensive knowlege of Nascar, which seems to be a drawback for this show.
I think she could have some very interesting 'discussions' with Marty Smith.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
The only drawback would be that she has a fairly extensive knowlege of Nascar, which seems to be a drawback for this show.

Okay...Let's stop making generalizations!  Right now the main people (Ralph, Krista and Connie) have plenty of knowledge.  So that's really not a true statement about them.

And let's not start making assumptions about the new host's knowledge level until we tune in after she takes over.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 08:20:36 PM »

Sally wrote:

I think I'm going to encourage Staci to apply for the job of new 'host' of the show.

Where has Staci been and why doesn't she post anymore?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: