November 20, 2017, 01:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond Busch Race on FX  (Read 1504 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 14, 2005, 12:30:25 PM »

I wish I could find some good things to say about the broadcast.  I  know there were some, but so far, I hate the fact FX is back!  

It goes without sayiing there were too many commercials.  We think Fox is bad, but FX tops them.  I lost count of how many restarts FX missed last night.  Thank God I had MRN is all I can say.  Many times, they missed about 3-4 laps AFTER the restart before returning from commercials.   They missed a late restart and two laps before coming back just as the caution was coming out on lap 193.  Then they showed numerous replays before they told us that Johnny Sauter had gotten the lead while they were away.  That was ridiculous!

The announcers (particularly) DW seemed confused about what was going on quite often.  After one round of pits stops, they showed the cars exiting pit road and you could clearly see Edwards got out first.  The announcers kept going on and on saying someone got out first (even when they showed a replay of the race off pit road).  Finally after about 5-10 minutes, they acknowledged that Edwards was the first off.  

In our household, we were both screaming about DW's rose-colored glasses.  He continued to assess blame in wrecks to suit his own needs.  I guess Shane Hmiel has now become part of his extended family because he thought anything he did was hilarious and never blamed him for any of the incidents he caused.  For some reason, it seemed like DW had something against Paul Wolfe.  Yeah, he contributed to some of the incidents, but the early ones, he seemed to be the innocent victim to me.

I got real sick of hearing their cliches like "eye of the storm" and "Mr. Excitement" to describe Hmiel.  Why is he SUCH a favorite with these guys???  No matter what he does, they think it is funny.  

Many times during the race, the announcers would tell us that an incident occured or someone got loose, but the cameras were always showing something else and almost never got around to showing us what they were talking about.  The entire crew seemed to only care about the Cup drivers in the race, such as Kahne and others.  The only Busch driver they seemed to care about was Truex and they showed him running alone many times as they cut away from actual passing closer to the front.  Jerry Robertson spun or got loose once they never bothered to show us a replay of that.  

The ticker:  Jeesh!  That thing wasn't right most of the night!  They'd tell us so and so was 8 laps down WHILE the ticker was showing him 4 laps down.  At 17 laps to go, the announcers said it was 27 laps to go.  After the checkered flag, the ticker briefly flashed "finishing order" but showed Biffle as winning and Green as second.  What's up with that?  If timing and scoring is linked directly to the ticker and it's not always up to date, why can't FOX take a couple minutes and have someone manually type in the correct information?  Why is it so important for Fox to have "immediate" information even if it's wrong?

During the post-race, I never did see a complete rundown of the finishing order on their holy ticker.  I rewound the Tivo and the last time they showed it, the thing started at about postion 35, then started back over and they just cut it off after a second or two.  Why is it so hard for the Fox executives to actually show us a graphic of the final rundown?  This race had a lot of great post-race interviews and I don't want to have to choose between watching them and trying to figure out who finshed where.

Okay, a couple good things I saw when I went back and watched the end of the race again. Fox did show Carl and Elliott's disucssion after the race and later a replay of Sauter flying out of his car highly upset and surrounded by Busch officials and some members of the Great Clips team.

Fox told us that Menard was penalized and therefore wouldn't get the free pass, but never really explained that.  DW worked hard at being cute saying "will he ever get it?"  Then had to repeat that same thing after the next caution.  I'm sure glad the Fox crew amuses themselves...

The viewers are led to believe that the announcers favor certain drivers because of their level of excitement when they are catching the leader or doing something on the track.  Also, it sure appears that the announcers get excited when there are wrecks.  When the early caution came out for Michael Waltirp, either DW or Mike yelled "here we go!"  DW sure quited down when he saw it was his brother.  

During the last few laps of the race, they had the nerve to put up a huge graphic on the screen advertising tonight's race.  All I can say is I'm definitely NOT looking forward to the next few races on FX.  

Did you catch that 360 was premiering on Friday night?  Poor Kesey Kahne, they had to ask him three times about it during qualifying and pre-race.  Then we were totally innundated with commercials reminding us every few minutes.   As usual, this constant banging you over the head with an FX show makes me NOT want to watch it.

I enjoy seeing Edwards' backflips, but were THREE replays of it really necessary?  This is where Fox has to run even a good thing into the ground.  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

Cheryl, remember that Shane Hmiel and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are friends.  And, of course, Dale Jr. and Michael Waltrip are teammates.  And, of course, Michael and DW are brothers.  That explains it all.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »

Cheryl, just when we were convinced that it can't get any worse than Fox, FX looms up.  If Brian France and Nascar really think what is being thrown at the viewers is going to do onything to generate long term support of the sport...excuse me, 'entertainment'...they have set their goals VERY low.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:13:23 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Cheryl, remember that Shane Hmiel and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are friends.  And, of course, Dale Jr. and Michael Waltrip are teammates.  And, of course, Michael and DW are brothers.  That explains it all.

Yeah, obviously, he considers Hmiel part of his extended family because of that, but why does everyone else make such a big deal about the kid?  They acted the same damn way about him in the truck race today too.  

And talk about pathetic coverage...Jeesh!  I think they only got about 1-2 restarts.  Speed's coverage of the truck series is really a joke.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 02:19:30 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I wish I could find some good things to say about the broadcast.  

I got real sick of hearing their cliches like "eye of the storm" and "Mr. Excitement" to describe Hmiel.  Why is he SUCH a favorite with these guys???  

During the post-race, I never did see a complete rundown of the finishing order on their holy ticker..
Cheryl

"eye of the storm" Did anyone ever catch the little animated tornado Fox used several races ago when showing this "eye"? They did this once for sure and it may have shown up a second time.

Hmeil is a favorite because Winfuel is a big Fox sponsor.The Mr Excitement tag is annoying. We all know it belongs to Jimmy Spencer.

Fox has long given up on showing the final results of Busch races and now I believe they have given up on Cup races also.

I can say one good thing about DW, he is rather good at predicting what will happen with the leaders during the last 2 or 3 laps of a race, such as predicting when and how a pass will be made or that there will be a wreck.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »

That's right, Brian.  There are only two ways to get the unofficial results now of the Nextel Cup and Busch races: pay attention to the top-of-the-screen ticker on the original telecast (and do without seeing postrace interviews) or wait for a subsequent broadcast on the Speed Channel.

Speed Channel still runs full-field results after the truck races.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 01:21:43 AM »

Not a very good broadcast, IMO.  Without repeating myself and everyone else, there is not much more I can add.  The commercials, the lateness back after a caution and the very biased attention to and for some drivers.  I did not get to hear a starting line up so never knew who all made the race because they would stop the scroll just at the point where the last 17 or so drivers were listed.  And they go through the unofficial results so fast you can't really tell who all was in the race.  So many drivers out there do not get a chance to get new fans due to this.  That is always my pet peeve. :smt013

I noticed several times they discussed stuff that had no place in the broadcast.  But this has come to be the expected thing these days.  So rude and inconsiderate of us fans.  I think they are of the opinion that well, even if we complain we still are watching and they know it so ratings are still good and the money rolls in.  Maybe DW should be singing that song?!   :twisted:

I would give it a D- if I were grading.
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 06:04:46 PM »

Wow.. What a review!

If it gets worse from here on out with Busch races on FX, at least we don't even get the choice to watch them.. They simply aren't carried!  And to think I was mad about most of the FX/TNT Busch races not being broadcast in Canada..  Glad I didn't miss much..  

Craig
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 06:23:12 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
Wow.. What a review!

If it gets worse from here on out with Busch races on FX, at least we don't even get the choice to watch them.. They simply aren't carried!  And to think I was mad about most of the FX/TNT Busch races not being broadcast in Canada..  Glad I didn't miss much..  

Hey Craig!  Glad to hear from you again!  You've been quiet lately.  I did read, last week, that XM would now be carried in Canada.  I know they won't have NASCAR past 2006, but it might be worth it to check into getting it anyway.  Frankly the two races we listened to on XM (Phoenix and Talladega) were certainly better covered than what I saw on TV this past weekend.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 12:39:23 AM »

Cheryl, as usual, your review was right on.  Fox/FX seem to thank that, as long as they show the 'highlights' or replays, that is all they need to do.  If this is their idea of 'live' race coverage, I have a serious bone to pick.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Cheryl, as usual, your review was right on.  Fox/FX seem to thank that, as long as they show the 'highlights' or replays, that is all they need to do.  If this is their idea of 'live' race coverage, I have a serious bone to pick.

Thanks, Sally!  Not sure if you mean this post about the Busch race or the actual review of the Cup race though...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »

Craig,

What about the Cup races on FX and TNT?  Are they also unavailable in Canada?  I hope not.

derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 06:34:28 PM »

Hi Cheryl!

Sorry I haven't been around much.. Been really busy!  But I make sure to at least read the posts on the site if I don't have time to reply! LOL..  Will have to see about getting XM..  Would be nice to see the video with the audio but beggars can't be choosers..

Hi Desmond!

Yes, our local sports channel is TSN.  They usually would prefer to air dog shows, darts and Sportscentre (sports highlight recap show) replays over and over for a 4 hr stretch in the morning, but do manage to squeeze in the cup races.  They even sometimes tape delay the race and show it to us later on in the night.. That hasn't happened this year yet. Hopefully it won't because it really sucks when they do it..  They do however show a "modified" feed that omits some of the sponsor ads (rarely do we see the sponsor in the top left for example - It has the NASCAR logo over top of the usual sponsor) and when they come back from breaks, etc. if any ads for the race sponsor are on, we usually get an aerial shot of the track with no audio instead.  It's kinda wierd actually.  They have been carrying the Cup races at least that are on FX and TNT since we are not allowed either channel.. We lose all the NASCAR commercials but at least it's better than nothing..

Craig
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
We lose all the NASCAR commercials but at least it's better than nothing..

Yes, losing all the NASCAR commercials IS a good thing!   :-D

But seriously, I know what you mean.  I've heard about the selective coverage you guys get from other Canadians as well and it sounds really annoying.  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: