November 18, 2017, 05:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martinsville Flip/Flop  (Read 706 times)
John
Wiley Veteran

« on: April 08, 2004, 01:51:48 AM »

Since Martinsville is coming up next week, I have always wondered something.  Did Martinsville flip their front and back stretch the same way as Darlington did?

I swore that back in the ESPN days that the flag stand was on the other side and looking at the over head shots today, the current back stretch is still the small concrete stands with a roadway behind it while the current front stretch has the big modern stands.

John  :roll:

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 01:19:38 PM »

John,

To the best of my knowledge of Martinsville, including going there for the last dozen years, they have not flipped the straightaways. There's a possiblity that when it was a dirt track when it first started that it may have been reversed, but I don't think so.

Lou

sally
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 10:06:59 PM »

I think the RR tracks behind the back stretch stands preclude Martinsville them ever having flipped the front/back stretch.  They just got it worked out with the RR this year to move the tracks to allow them to put in bigger stands on the backstretch.
Sally
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:13:11 AM »

It must have been a camera angle from the infield back in the ESPN days that made me think the front and back stretchs were flipped.  I can picture back to the days when Rusty ran well there and one time Steve Park was in the #1 car and on a restart, broke the car sideways from losing traction.  Both of those instances was on a cloudy day.  When it is sunny at Martinsville, it is easy to see which is the front and back.

Thanks Sally and Lou, it was one of those itches that needed scratching.

Happy Easter and ease off the chocolate!

John

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: