November 24, 2017, 11:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach music  (Read 1126 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:04 PM »

Has any of you heard something called beach music?  If you have heard it, what does it sound like?

It's said to be very popular in the Carolinas.  Craig Woolard is the biggest star, and in fact he performed the national anthem at the Dodge Charger 500 this past weekend.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »

Beach music has been around since the 60s at least.  It's very big in the Myrtle Beach (South Carolina) area.  Especially in the clubs down there where people do the "shag" dance to it.  To me, it's sort of like a slower version of the "jitterbug."  Beach music is just kind of a laidback type of 60s rock and roll. The country group, Alabama, saluted beach music in a song several years ago (since they got their start playing the clubs in Myrtle Beach).  

Cheryl "who used to go to MB twice a year before I got into racing in 1988"   Cheesy
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »

My favorite Alabama song is 'Tar Top' which alludes to Myrtle Beach and   their humble beginnigs at honkey tonks playing for watered drinks.  Always makes me happy and keeps me smiling.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 04:35:01 PM »

Vivian, does it sound like something Jimmy Buffett would do?  He has his "parrotheads" and lives in Key West, FL.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 05:05:37 PM »

Speaking of beach music does anyone remember the old bud light commercial or the miller commercials which i think may have been done on beaches perhaps?

Those commercials were shown in 1990 and 91 i think.

I also remember the bud light commercial which showed the bud light jaguar.

Speaking of bud light didn't dale jr. at 1 time say that he liked bud light?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »

Ohh wait i screwed up a few of the miller commercials i was thinking of were shown in the late 1980's as well i realized it at the last second.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 05:09:24 PM »

I forgot to give information about the commercials i mentioned in the 1 bud light commercial i mentioned there was a guy singing something about keeping your bud light shining.

And in most if not all the commercials i mentioned most of the women were running around in bikini's. Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 08:53:47 PM »

Des, I am not totally sure what 'beach music' really is.  I just happened to think of that song because Cheryl mentioned Alabama in her post.  I have heard Jimmy Buffet and his style is neat.

Cheryl, help me out here!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 11:58:31 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Des, I am not totally sure what 'beach music' really is.  I just happened to think of that song because Cheryl mentioned Alabama in her post.  I have heard Jimmy Buffet and his style is neat.

Cheryl, help me out here!

It's hard to explain Beach Music.  Definitely NOT Jimmy Buffet though, but I like his stuff too.  Beach Music is just kind of a lazy beat, and honestly, I was never a big fan of it.  They played it too much when I used to spend time in Myrtle Beach.  The only artist I can think of off the top of my head is Clarence Carter.  But not that "Strokin" song that he's so famous for and which I personally don't care for much.  

I was hoping Vivian would help me explain in since she's originally from Florida and it's not that far from South Carolina.  

The song I was thinking of yesterday and couldn't remember the name of at the time (by Alabama) was "Shagging on the Boulevard" I think.  About when they played the bars in MB and talking about people dancing the Shag to beach music there.

Sorry, I can't explain beach music any better.  Just something you have to hear, I guess.  But I suppose someone could search it on the internet and find some audio clips if they are real interested.   :wink:

P.S.  Okay, I just did a search for grins and found this site:

http://www.beachshag.com/

Didn't click on any of their links, but it looks like it will give Desmond a good history of the sound.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 01:18:51 AM »

Thanks for the link, Cheryl.  I am gonna check it out.  However, right now I have a new Yanni and a new cd from my friends at Around the Hearth.
Anyone want to check my friends out, the addy is
 http://www.aroundthehearth.com

Just checked the link and it has Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get It On' listed and that was one of my favorites back in the day Marvin was popular on regular radio.  Looking at the names and lists, it sounds like it is a wild combination of different types of music.  I remember 'Shagging on the Boulevard' by Alabama.  I guess there is a lot of that music I like but a lot I never heard of.  Great site though to find out stuff about it.  Thanks, Cheryl.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:29:13 PM »

I visited the web site Cheryl provided and clicked on the link to listen live to a station in Myrtle Beach, SC (FM 105.3, the Endless Summer) that plays nothing but beach music.

It's fascinating to hear something new, although a lot of it sounds old.  As Cheryl wrote, it's influenced largely by 1960s shag and 1970s disco.  I heard covers of "How Sweet It Is" (Marvin Gaye) and "Turn the Beat Around" (Vicki Sue Robinson) as well as some original songs.

The content is non-threatening and family friendly.  However, it has not produced any nationwide hit songs.  Perhaps that's what Darlington had in mind by picking Craig Woolard for the anthem.  He has sold more copies of beach music than any other artist.

There is also an album of beach music with Woolard and other artists, for which the proceeds go to the Victory Junction Gang Camp.  To order the album, follow this link:

http://www.totally4kids.org

(Don't go to the Jayski link to the VJGC site, there's nothing about the album there.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: