November 22, 2017, 05:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darlington Ratings Highest in Fox History  (Read 1291 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 12, 2005, 12:43:55 PM »

This probably won't make Sally happy... :wink:

From Jayski:

"Darlington TV Ratings: According to figures released by the FOX network, the Dodge Charger 500 at Darlington Raceway was the highest-rated prime time NASCAR event ever broadcast by the network. The race had an average viewership of 9.3 million, up 10% over FOX's one previous primetime race broadcast so far this season. The 5.6 rating and 11 share easily won the Saturday evening ratings war for the network over CBS (4.7), ABC (4.7) and NBC (4.5). The race also posted a 3.6 rating (13 share) among the critical prime time demographic of Adults 18-49, placing FOX first for the night by a wide margin. ABC was second in that demographic with a 2.4 rating, and CBS was third with a 1.9. The Diamond Hill Plywood 200 earned a 1.6 rating on FX, up from last year's number of 1.3 on the same network. The 1.6 rating for the DHP 200 is seven percent higher than the 1.5 average for all nine NASCAR Busch Series prime time cable events in 2004."

Guess people all over the country like Darlington.  Wonder why?   :wink:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »

I guess we should thank the TV viewers as well as those in the stands for making Mother's Day weekend a success.  All of you proved them wrong!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »

My guess is that most of the tv viewers were us older veteran fans with younger 'true' fans joining us because they know the history of the sport and also realize that it could very well have been the last Darlington race.  I could be wrong but I think most of Brian's new pop crowd and Hollywood types were out on Saturday night!  JMO
sally
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:51:01 PM »

Au contraire, Cheryl.  ANYTHING that helps keep Darlington on the schedule is fine by me.  The interesting thing about the ratings is that, tho the ratings might have been great, those for the night races so far are the LOWEST of the season for races on Fox.   So, while Nascar is touting the "huge success" of the night races, they dont't seem to be attracting the sort of ratings that someone hoped.  Maybe on the left coast, where fans can watch the race and still have time to sleep a normal number of hours!

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »

Saturday is just not a good night for the kind of fans Brian wants to attract.  Out here on the left coast, they be partying on Saturday night.  Only us old fogies and fans will watch.   :wink:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 12:35:56 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Au contraire, Cheryl.  ANYTHING that helps keep Darlington on the schedule is fine by me.  The interesting thing about the ratings is that, tho the ratings might have been great, those for the night races so far are the LOWEST of the season for races on Fox.   So, while Nascar is touting the "huge success" of the night races, they dont't seem to be attracting the sort of ratings that someone hoped.  

Yeah, after I wrote that, I started thinking that you probably would be happy with Darlington ratings being high.  Sorry... :oops:

I agree with you 100% about all these later night races.  I think this year is when Brian is going to find that he's overestimated the value of his product to the fringe fans.  

Did you see the article in the Scene last week about how Humpy is having trouble selling tickets to Charlotte?  That has me wondering if more and more fans are like Lou and I and giving up their tickets.  Part of me misses going to Charlotte, but it's just too damn crowded for me these days.  And way too many people who aren't really there to see the racing, just the "event" and are up and down from their seats the entire race long because they are bored.  Maybe this is the year, NA$CAR will see that those fans have already lost interest.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

And I would hate to see the fans that replace them... :oops:

All they know is from TV, and TV doesn't paint the picture very well, especially the Fox broadcasts.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:28:07 PM »

Cheesy well guys will this be good enough to save darlington?? we shall soon see.
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 02:02:10 AM »

Tell me true now:  Do any of you really believe that the attendance and ratings at Darlington this past weekend makes a difference as to whether they keep Cup racing there or not?  If you think about it, you must realize they have already decided and nothing fans say or do will make a difference.  If they want to keep racing there, it is there.  This past weekends attendance does not matter.  The media are the ones acting as if it will and are conditioning us just in case.  Then they will just come up with another excuse if racing does not continue there.  If Nascar wants to move it, the decision has already been made and we will know when the schedule for 2006 comes out.  Personally, I think we are all just spinning our wheels (oops, didn't mean to make a funny) thinking we make a difference.  If you think I am being pessimistic, sorry to burst bubbles.  I am just a realist so I usually just say what I think.
sally
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 03:15:10 AM »

Vivian, I don't think any of us really believe that Nascar will keep Darlington on the circuit.  I think the Mother's Day weekend race was an experiment so Baby Brian could see if racing on that date was feasible.  Now that they know it is, I think Darlington is 'holding' the date until the NY track gets built and open.  Once that happens, Darlington is history.

sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »

Did any one see in last weeks Cup Scene that the NY track will get TWO Cup races and probably 1 IRL race.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 12:16:46 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
Did any one see in last weeks Cup Scene that the NY track will get TWO Cup races and probably 1 IRL race.

So that means this hypothetical track that they tell us will be so wonderful is already set to be a multi-purpose track?  I'm sorry, but that's where track builders went down the wrong road IMHO.  Building tracks with low enough banking to accommodate pointy cars.  For example Homestead, which we all know, ended up being reconfigured and the banking raised to provide better racing for stock cars.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 04:41:18 PM »

NASCAR's Staten Island debut (if it happens) will be the most anticipated telecast in the history of American motorsports.  Meanwhile, those presenting the telecast will thumb their noses at fans of the "real" race tracks like Rockingham, Darlington and North Wilkesboro, all of which will be gone.  :twisted:

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 06:23:04 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
NASCAR's Staten Island debut (if it happens) will be the most anticipated telecast in the history of American motorsports.  

Maybe by TV...but not by most of us old timers (race fans), I'd guess.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: