November 18, 2017, 10:17:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foxsports.com  (Read 1272 times)
sally
« on: April 07, 2004, 10:03:02 PM »

I hate to admit this, since DW as a race announcer drives me nuts, but he had an interesting reply to a fan who e mailed about all the cuation laps we're seeing in the races this year.  Since he agreed with my view that Nascar needs to get it's act together and do something about the long cautions, he's obviously smarter than I thought.  Actually, since he thinks that the "chase" format sucks, too, If he would stay out of the booth.

Not to worry, his brilliance was countered by Larry Mac, trying to convince fans yet again that we saw a GREAT race at Texas.  Maybe he thinks if he says it enough, someone will believe him?
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 10:59:56 PM »

Sally, I knew DW disliked the CFC, but didn't realize he had an opinion on the caution situation.  Good to hear that he thinks they are too long, just like us.  Larry Mc tried to explain it on Totally Nascar Monday - 2 to place the field, 2 to allow first lead lap cars to pit & then to allow the lapped cars to pit, then 2 to line back up and to give the signal for 2 to go which came out to 6 total; but somehow that does not add up to the 9 to 11 we have been seeing lately, especially the last 3 races.  I think you were right in a previous post when you said they had already started taking time out for commercials, just like football...
I think they are convinced that if there is a close finish then the whole race had to be great.  I can't figure out what else was great about the Texas race unless it was neither Busch or Biffle winning, thank goodness   :twisted:
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 01:25:42 AM »

I'm not defending the long cautions, but it just occured to me and I'm suprised nobody here caught on to it yet.  Do you suppose that the long cautions have nothing to do with TV, but rather, the controversial decisions on lining up the field after the caution (ex:  Matt Kenseth's positions earlier this year).  Maybe NASCAR is trying to come up with a way to make sure the cars are lined up properly by going back and looking at tape or something like that.

Having said that, a simple solution to the problem is going back to the short track roots, line up the cars according to the last "completed" lap.

John

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 02:17:41 AM »

John, yes, the last completed lap would help.  But...Nascar still will say they need the time to line the cars up, get to pit road, get the Charity lap car around the track, etc., etc., etc.  They needto forget the Charity lap.  How many cars that finished in the top 10 the last three races only finished on the lead lap because they got the charity lap?  I say, if they can't race their way back onto the lead lap, stay a lap down!  That's the way it used to be until the Rousch flotilla started letting their team cars back all the time.   :evil:
Sally

AHA!  I see I finally made it to WILY!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 02:56:26 AM »

I don't really think TV is dictating the long cautions either, but the fact that NASCAR wastes all those laps to reset the field because of their own confusion over their own stupid rule drives me crazy!  Like Sally said, if they'd dump that welfare pass, it would alleviate all of this confusion on their part.  I've also noticed how many guys get back on the lead lap via the pass rather than racing to stay ahead of the leader "the old-fashioned way" as I call.  It's really starting to get so disgusting!  The "kinder, gentler" NASCAR is just too PC for my taste...

Congrats on the wiliness, Sally! :lol:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 08:48:13 PM »

Was there ever any follow-up on the Kenseth thing when people were complaining (I think some drivers complained) that they should also freeze pit road?  If not, then it gives the cars pitting an unfair advantage as they can just fall back in line after finishing the pit stop and never lose a lap even though everyone else was frozen in their spots on the track.  That really needs fixing imo as the drivers on the track can't do anything just like under red flag conditions at that point so why should the pitted cars be any different?
sally
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 10:03:22 PM »

I was just wondering if any of you statistical genius' out there have any idea how many drivers that received a Charity lap ended up finishing in the top 10 or 15 in the races so far this year?  I know Jr got lucky at least once, but it seems to me that Newman has benefitted a couple times.  If it's as often as I think, this obnoxious rule is really affecting the race results.  Yet another reason this rule must die quickly!
Sally
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 04:10:52 AM »

i agree. the leader ought to be rewarded for putting the guy a lap down. plain and simple, the leader has a fast car. it should be up to the driver of that non-lead lap driver and crew members to fix the car. there are other ways to come back in the race. i read once that bill elliott made up a 5-mile deficit in 1985 at talladega to win, all under green-flag conditions.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 12:33:50 PM »

I remember that!  Just last year Robby Gordon made up 3 laps at Richmond!  If you've got a fast enough car, you should get your lap back by racing, not on charity!
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: