November 18, 2017, 03:01:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Anyone see Nas. Victory Lane?  (Read 2728 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: May 10, 2005, 05:52:47 PM »

I caught the tail end of what I think was a re run on Speed about 6:50 pm.
K Wallace and J Spencer were on the show. Wallace starts in on a speel about how he and Spencer always tell it how it is and went on and on about that.
 I had a hunch that they were talking about Kurt Busch. Anyhow, Wallace goes on to say that we fans should be thankful (I'm paraphrasing here) that we can get the straight info from them and DW in the booth , etc.
 I about threw up. I wish that race driver wannabes would leave the opinions to those who really know. Why can't more Media drivers be like Ned Jarrett? What in the world is wrong with being somewhat professional?
 I guess I just don't get it. Stupid ole me. :roll:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 06:11:23 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I caught the tail end of what I think was a re run on Speed about 6:50 pm.
K Wallace and J Spencer were on the show. Wallace starts in on a speel about how he and Spencer always tell it how it is and went on and on about that.
 I had a hunch that they were talking about Kurt Busch. Anyhow, Wallace goes on to say that we fans should be thankful (I'm paraphrasing here) that we can get the straight info from them and DW in the booth , etc.
 I about threw up. I wish that race driver wannabes would leave the opinions to those who really know. Why can't more Media drivers be like Ned Jarrett? What in the world is wrong with being somewhat professional?
 I guess I just don't get it. Stupid ole me. :roll:

I heard those comments when watching the replay of the show last night.  Yes, they were talking about Busch.  I could not believe how self-righteous Spencer sounded.  Made me sick as well...Like it is not obvious he still holds a grudge against Busch from their altercation two years ago.   :roll:   Then to have Kenny Wallace jump in and agree with him and claim them "telling it like it is" accounts for why the shows on Speed are so popular.  Really bugged me too, Dick!  Like some of the active drivers, these guys seem to be guilty of believing everything that comes out of their own mouths.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:26:02 PM »

I'm just about to the point of avoiding the TV shows altogether.

William James
sally
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »

I just read that IWC may be cut back to 60 minutes later this year.  Hmmm.  With Mikey pimping for Nascar so obviously, and basically taking over the show most of the time, maybe people aren't as interested in it anymore?  Maybe Mikey will end up having to look for his own show so he can spew his bias.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 01:27:03 AM »

Sally, I got really disgusted with Mikey last night.  He said several things that I thought not appropriate.  However, although I am not a Greg Biffle fan, I really gained a lot of respect for him when he was on that show last night.  He sounded very intelligent and very human at the same time.  Not at all like he sounds in most of his interviews.  I thought he made that show last night and if he had not stayed the whole show, I think I would have turned away.

You know, something is dreadfully wrong with Nascar and some of their shows when people are starting to turn them off except when there is a non favorite driver on.  I know in similar situations like last nights show, I have surprised myself several times by starting to respect drivers I could not previously stand.  Just an observation of my own feelings and not a bash.  Do I make sense?
sally
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 02:57:28 AM »

You make perfect sense, Viv, because I had the exact same reaction.  Especially with Mikey running on like an idiot, Greg Biffle was articulate, intelligent, and impressive.  He was on Wind Tunnel Sunday night, and was equally impressive.  

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:55:30 PM »

I agree with both Vivian and Sally about enjoying Biffle on IWCR Monday night.  Actually, I'd started respecting his driving skill the last few weeks even before that.  Hearing him on the show just added to my opinion of him.  If you can get behind his "worst day of my life" comment a while back, he's matured a lot recently IMHO.  You can't deny he drives flat out every lap and is on the edge of out of control a lot of the time, but manages to hang onto his car.  

I really liked that he seemed to be with Schrader in calling Michael on some of his over the top stuff.  Pretty bad when the guest is starting to make fun of one of the regulars.  Maybe that ought to give Mikey a clue....Naw...those Waltrip boys are too busy talking about themselves to even pick up when someone is mocking them.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:49:17 PM »

About Sally's comments about the possible cut in the length of Inside Nextel Cup:

If NASCAR Nation can spin off "Beyond the Wheel," why not give them a new "Mikey Mic'd" show?

In fact, I think I know where Speed Channel is going with this:  The new 30-minute NASCAR Nation followed by all sorts of spinoff shows:  "The Big Story" on Monday, "Mikey Mic'd" on Tuesday, "Home Base" on Wednesday, and a fantasy/weather show on Thursday.  The extra half hour on Mondays goes to Infield Hot Pass with the two young guys with the dumb nicknames (one of them is Flea or something like that).

Not exactly the show I want (an expanded Speed News), and that's too bad.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »

I think that Speed channel has gone steadily downhill since being acquired by Fox. Imagine that. :roll:
 I'm glad to hear that you ladies were impressed by Biffle. I've always liked him as a driver. I think he is very talented and determined to win.
Let's face it, some of the younger drivers are more talented than others. Biffle, JJ, Both Busch brothers, Kasey just to mention a few, are really talented. Then there is Carl Edwards, who May be the best since Gordon. (Ephasis May).
  Anyhow, I digress! :lol: I think it takes a while for most of these drivers to mature and to feel comfortable with the media etc. I think Greg is about there, and I hope Kurt recovers from his little setback. Kasey is doing fine.
 Sorry for rambling.

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 06:57:59 PM »

I think that Speed channel has gone steadily downhill since being acquired by Fox. Imagine that. :roll:

So true, Dick...

I'm glad to hear that you ladies were impressed by Biffle...

...I think it takes a while for most of these drivers to mature and to feel comfortable with the media etc.  

What is SO funny is something I just realized about Biffle a couple weeks ago.  He's not actually that young at all.  He's 35, two years older than Gordon, but has only been in NASCAR like 6 years or so since he began in the truck series.  

Funny, that TV considers him a "young gun," but anybody else over 35 would be an over-the-hill veteran... :wink:

Cheryl
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 07:40:43 PM »

I thought Biffle was good as well and I am not particularly a fan of his.  The only thing I noticed about him is his comment that "Jeff got into Kurt".  Thankfully Kenny Schrader (love him) and Mike Waltrip (tolerate him) said Jeff did not touch him.  Other than that, he was good.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 08:30:51 PM »

Hey BAM, how are you? Haven't heard much from you lately.
Jeff is, frankly, not my favorite, but he truly is in a class of his own, as a driver. Just watch out for Carl Edwards!! Cheesy  Cheesy

William James
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 09:35:03 PM »

What a revelation this thread has become!  Some of us now like and respect someone we didn't like before and we are impressed by his maturity.  Wow!  Maybe our views are changing?  Nah..... :wink:

Dick, you mentioned how good some of the younger ones are and how much talent they have.  I agree mostly with that remark.  However, (please keep in mind we are not bashing anyone on this thread) I sort of felt that Kyle Busch could not handle the pressure very well last year  toward the end of the season.  I think that is why Martin Truex was able to take the championship rather than Kyle.

As Beth Ann says, 'love that Kenny Schrader'.  But I am at the point that I am not sure I can 'tolerate' Mikey much longer.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 03:15:46 PM »

I see your point about Kyle, Vivian, but I think he is very talented. I guess time will tell.
And yes, Cheryl, Greg is a bit older than most "young guns", but 35 doesn't seem too old to me now. Heck, 2 of my kids are 35 or older! :lol:

PS51 more for another helmet! Yeah!

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »

And yes, Cheryl, Greg is a bit older than most "young guns", but 35 doesn't seem too old to me now. Heck, 2 of my kids are 35 or older! :lol:

PS51 more for another helmet! Yeah!

It's not old to me either, Dick!  I, personally, DO consider him a young gun.  I was just being sarcastic because of TV's need to classify everybody by age (which I hate).

Get posting and you'll get that next helmet!  
 Cheesy  Cheesy
Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: