November 24, 2017, 12:57:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buddy Wayne site and comments  (Read 1880 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 07, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »

My fictional character Buddy Wayne Barefoot turns 25 today!

Look at what's happened to him so far: 20 NASCAR race wins, two best-selling hit songs, and the status as perhaps America's most beloved public figure.

Seriously, I have invited the other Speedcouch forum members to look at my web site I created in his honor several times.  I have not heard back from anyone, and have wondered why.

Perhaps it's because you don't know where to send feedback.  That's why I have opened this new forum, so that other members can post their responses.

I am especially interested in the answers to some specific questions, such as:

If he existed, would he be your favorite driver?
    What do you think of his "old-school, new-school" image? (In other words, he's in his mid-20s but doesn't think like a "young gun.")
    How much trouble would his outspoken nature cause NASCAR officials, especially his belief that NASCAR is running away from the fan-friendly nature that has made it unique and great?
    Finally, what real driver or recording artist, if any, are most like him?

The address is below, just click on it.

I eagerly await your responses.

P.S.   Congratulations, Sally, on becoming a Wiley Veteran!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 10:46:29 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BWB!!! 25, huh?
Actually, I have been to your site right after you told us about it, but like a lot of the posters here, I do more reading and surfing than posting.  I have been known to lurk at several boards and this is the only board I have ever been a member of.
Now that I have given you my explanation, I will revisit your site and sometimes next week will get back to you with some answers to some of the questions you brought up.  
Til then, keep cool  Cool
sally
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 02:20:16 AM »

Desmond,
   Thanks!  I thought I got wily years ago.  See how much I know?
Sally Cool
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 04:07:28 PM »

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of response so far to my call to see the Buddy Wayne Barefoot site.

I haven't told you this, but I have big plans for this site.  This could help me get work as a professional author, which would be a great source of additional income for me.  For this to happen, I need some publicity.  I cannot buy billboards or ads; word of mouth is all I have.

I have been thwarted in some of my recent efforts.  Don Hamm of Inside the Pit Box wrote that he would try to work it into one of his columns; he never did.  Jo Ann Hlavac of Laidback Racing kept it on the front page of her site for a record nine months, then removed it, presumably because she wasn't aware of any responses.  I have also asked Hoover Adams of the Daily Record (Dunn, NC) for a review of the site; so far, no answer back.  (I asked Adams because the character lives in his area.)

This is not to say that they are bad people, but to point out that I have invested considerable time and energy to this site since I founded it in July 2003.  I don't want the effort to go to waste.

So I say: Vivian, thank you!  Sally, ol hot rodder, Michael, JW, John, everybody else, click below and get started!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 08:28:39 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I'm a little disappointed in the lack of response so far to my call to see the Buddy Wayne Barefoot site.

Desmond,
A lack of response does not mean that people have not visited your site. I have visited your site. I know how hard it is to work on a website and I understand the frustrations of thinking that nobody is visiting.

The Internet and world is made up of people with different interests. Not all that I like will be as appreciated by others. I don't mean any disrespect or mean to infer any superiority - I hope you will believe me - but fiction is just not my cup of tea. It's a genetic defect I suppose. I live in a world of 1's and 0's, true/false, black/white, yes/no.

I've also found over time that the "silent majority" really is just that - the vast majority of people will never respond to emails, questions, requests, etc. That's just the way it is - for good or bad.

Just keep on doing what your're doing as long as you're enjoying it and it "floats your boat".

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 10:45:42 PM »

Heads up: this coming Monday, something big happens to B.W. from this weekend's races at Talladega.

All I can say now is that it is consistent with what happens when "the Benson Bopper" is sufficiently motivated.  In this case, it is the memory of Pat Tillman, who everyone knows by now has been killed in action in Afghanistan.

P.S. See the site for more on B.W.'s other racing circuit.  "Real" race fans will love it!  From the site scroll down to "special feature" to read the background articles.  Then go to "Rebel Movie Racing" to see the latest race results and points standings.

One more thing: my own picture should be up there now on the "about the author" page.  I think it fair that, since B.W.'s "picture" has been on the site since day one, that my picture also be on the appropriate page.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 08:02:58 PM »

I have decided to ask Cheryl and a few other people who write for racing web sites as well as some of my friends and family for advice as for what should happen next to the Buddy Wayne Barefoot character.

Several crises have happened in his life, including the naming of a co-crew chief that he doesn't like, public backlash over his military-based charity because of prison abuses in Iraq, and the need to balance his feature film starring role with his "defense" of the NASCAR Nextel Cup title.  

Soon, I will post the text of the e-mail I have sent so that you can get more details of what I am seeking.  I will also post some of the best suggestions in this forum.

Cheryl has said that she will read the e-mail as soon as she gets settled after returning from the USAR ProCup race at Indianapolis Raceway Park.  Hope she had fun.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 04:35:45 PM »

I have changed my mind and will not post the entire letter, because it is the equivalent of about three printed pages.

Instead I will briefly summarize that the B.W. character is at a crossroads in his professional and personal life.  

His charity, which supports the military, is taking a hit due to the prison abuses in Iraq.

The naming of Brandon McLamb as co-crew chief (along with devoted brother Bobby Ray) is causing tensions within the families.  However, girlfriend/manager Shayla McLamb spearheaded the hiring and doesn't want any changes.

He is star, scriptwriter and executive producer of his own film, which he is filming during his days off from NASCAR.  Obviously, this is an incredible workload.  The film has a superhero-fighting-terrorists theme (as I've written, it's
Batman meets 24 meets The Real World--many of the actors "play" themselves, including B.W., Shayla and B.W.'s cousin Bunky.)[/list]
    And, of course, things in NASCAR don't go his way.  The Rock was the closest Nextel Cup track to his home in Benson, NC, and he misses it more than any other driver.

The e-mail asks for advice as for where what should happen to the B.W. character in the long-term future.  In the meantime, I will continue to maintain the site.

I have sent this e-mail to some family members and friends, as well as some authors of NASCAR fan sites, including Jo Ann Hlavac, Don Hamm, Patty Kay, and Dave Laurence.  In addition, I have sent it to truck series team spokesman Brandon Mudd, game-show and pop culture expert Steve Beverly, and pro wrestling writer Mike Mooneyham.

No responses yet, but again I will post whatever I receive.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 06:38:48 PM »

Cheryl has decided not to make any suggestions on my site.  She says that she has no interest in fan fiction.

Also, something strange happened on Friday.  A picture I put on my site was loaded successfully onto a test page, but did not load on the actual page.  The photo is of myself visiting Disneyland last year.

Webspawner (my host) has always insisted that there is nothing wrong with the files.  Obviously, that is wrong.  I'll look into this problem, and will explore other options if the response is the same as before.

If you want to see the picture, the address is http://www.webspawner.com/users/bwbarefoot/desmond.jpg or http://www.webspawner.com/users/bwbarefoot/desmondpic.jpg (not entirely sure).

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 04:59:48 PM »

At last!  My picture is on the web site.  I saw it just a few moments ago.

The page address is http://www.webspawner.com/users/bwbarefoot/abouttheauthor2.html.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 02:12:36 AM »

Cool, Desmond!  I have been trying to see your picture for a couple weeks, so it's good to see you finally got the link to work.  Great to "see" who you are talking to!  

Cheryl
buddy_love
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 11:54:27 AM »

Desmond,

Great job man.  I appreciate your creativity, humor, and writing skills.  Keep it up.  Go with the flow.

Dan
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 07:20:22 PM »

In fact, he can probably hop into Matt Kenseth's car and do well, with the crew it has.)

Great website. Hey, when you have a two-time mcdonald's pit crew championship team, it can make all the difference in the world!

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 04:19:51 PM »

The site is one year old now, and even though it hasn't given me the big break that I wanted, I continue to plug away.  I still update the site at least once a week.

He did not win at Talladega, as promised, because the caution flag in the real race came out when it did and the race, of course, did not resume.  I did hand him a win at Charlotte (Lowe's) a month later.  It may be late, but I apologize to the forum members who may have been offended by the change.

I will close out with some trivia.  These are the drivers who have actually won races that B.W. has "won" on my site since the start of the 2003 season:

Ryan Newman--4 (3/30/03, 6/1/03, 9/6/03, 9/21/03)
Kurt Busch--3 (3/23/03, 8/23/03, 3/28/04--all at Bristol)
Matt Kenseth--2 (3/2/03 first win, 2/22/04 last at the Rock)
Jimmie Johnson--2 (5/25/03, 5/30/04--last 2 Coke 600s)
Greg Biffle--1 (7/5/03 Pepsi 400)
Dale Earnhardt, Jr.--1 (2/15/04 Daytona 500)
Bill Elliott--1 (11/9/03)
Jeff Gordon--1 (10/19/03)
Robby Gordon--1 (6/22/03)
Kevin Harvick--1 (8/3/03 Brickyard 400)
Terry Labonte--1 (8/31/03 Southern 500)
Tony Stewart--1 (10/11/03)
Michael Waltrip--1 (9/28/03)

Impressive, huh?

I'll post again if there is any significant news.

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 05:29:20 PM »

hey  desmond great job with buddy i just went to the site for the first time  will visit again and keep abreast of it's contents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: