November 22, 2017, 01:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instant Replays for Drivers  (Read 963 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 03, 2005, 06:01:17 PM »

As I told Lou last night, the main reason I dislike this new practice by Fox is because part of what makes racing fun for me is hearing the drivers' comments immediately after wrecks.  Sometimes they are just so funny!  How many remember Kyle Petty walking across Bobby Hillen's car after they wrecked at the 1993 Daytona 500?  Then he went on TV and called Hillen "that blind boy."  That is one of my favorite quotes of all time.  Wouldn't that be much different if Kyle had watched an instant replay and had a bit of time to calm down first?  

I also remember fondly when ESPN kept shoving a microphone in Dale Earnhardt's face that year at North Wilkeboro after he and Ricky Rudd got together on the last lap, spinning each other out.  Dale's response to Jerry Punch's "what happened out there" was "he knocked the sh#t out of me!"  That was another classic!   :lol:

With a sport that's overregulation is taking all of the character out of the drivers, I'd still rather hear their spontaneous responses after this type of incident.  No, I still don't think drivers have a reason to cuss when they're sitting in victory lane, but I don't have a problem with a few choice words after they get wrecked out.

I just think in the end this new replay device being used by the pit reporters will ruin another aspect I found entertaining about NASCAR.  Even if they recant their original remarks after seeing the replay back in the motorhome, it's still enjoyable (as a fan) to hear their off the cuff reaction.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:50:32 PM »

Another one of these 'agree to disagree' threads.  I like 'em.
I hope all who responded on the other thread in reference to this subject will come back and post their messages here.

I do not like them having the ability to see the replay before they respond.  That takes all the personal feelings out and we never get to hear their real feelings.  They have begun to be 'conditioned' (all you regulars here know how I relate brain washing to conditioning) to be so pc and robotic that there is beginning to be no individualism any more.  Just monotone answers that they think Nascar want to hear them say.  Very big pet peeve of mine.  Some drivers are quiet by nature and others just seem to bubble, some seem to make excuses and place blame on someone else while others come off like a raging bull and then some are just plain humble and grateful to be doing what they love no matter what happens.  This is what made fans associate with and become fans of certain drivers.  We don't want to lose that.  Think about it.  I do like to watch an F1 race but never stick around for the interviews because they are arranged on a podium then led to a table to sit and politely discuss (in monotone) the events of the race.  Not for me.  Give me a driver whose real personality comes out and he is not afraid to say what he feels at the time.  Most of you also know who my favorite drivers are and now you know why.  Keep in mind that most of my favorites are also good and smart drivers when it comes to positioning themselves on the track.  They also make mistakes and I recognize that fact.  The main thing is they are 'human' and behave as such at the appropriate times.  Please don't let them change into the stereotype that Nascar demands these days.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:35:40 PM »

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley ladies i'm not sure how i feel about this aspect of nascar today.on one hand there could be some good things about this like having a driver use a replay to provide a more helpful view for the viewers.on the other hand i agree with you cheryl i like to think that i'm oldfashioned and i liked the driver's instant reaction and i miss that.i don't know which view to agree with. i'm gonna think more about this.thank you cheryl for bringing this up this is very timely right now.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:13:24 PM »

At first, I supported the concept of having drivers watch crashes on replay.  But if, as Vivian mentioned, it's done only to protect them from fines and loss of driver/owner points, then no way.  This is a direct result of NASCAR's over-regulation.  Remember what Dick Berggren told Mike Wallace on Sunday before they discussed the crash.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 04:56:51 PM »

guys i think now that showing drivers replays are now a good thing because this quickly clears up misunderstandings.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 08:13:35 PM »

How about a compromise - the pit reporter asks the driver the question and solicits a real-time, true-emotion response and THEN shows him the video replay! Watch the driver squirm as he backtracks on his previous statements!

Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 09:16:55 PM »

Great solution, Lou!  Then we all can sort of say our wishes were satisfied. :wink:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy if that happens lou you'll get the worst of all worlds drivers just won't do interviews.
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 09:45:05 PM »

Don't the top 5 finishers get fined if they don't do interviews when aaked and if they don't show up at the media center afterwards?
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 10:34:05 PM »

yes you're right vivian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: