November 19, 2017, 01:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bump Drafting  (Read 1341 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 02, 2005, 12:43:17 PM »

I'm sorry, but it seems like some of the drivers who have been around only the last five years or so seem to think they simply must bump draft on the superspeedways.  Personally, I hate it and yesterday was a perfect example.  The field did a phenomenal job running wreck-free for 130 laps.  Then someone got bump draft "happy" and all hell broke loose, eliminating 50% of the field from competition.  We keep hearing how the Cup drivers are the "best drivers in the world."  Well, it sure didn't look like that after the decimation of the field.

We listened to the race on XM heading home from the Hooters race yesterday.  They have the feature on XM 145 to hear in-car radios from drivers.  We heard one of the drivers' spotters commenting on how certain drivers were banging everybody on their way up through the field.  I'm sorry I just don't like that (no matter who does it).  Maybe some drivers can do it well, but generally, it results in stuff like this because of the close quarters.

We watched some of the race on Tivo when we got home.  The replays showed that a couple things contributed to the incident.  But I still think the drivers shouldn't be bumpdrafting in those tight quarters to begin with, or the other drivers might have been able to gather it up and not wreck.   But, unfortunately, it seems like that is the only way a lot of these drivers know how to race at the restrictorplate tracks.   :x

And it [almost] never fails that the ones who caused the accidents get through unscathed.  Something just doesn't seem right about that.  

P.S.  Just read a few articles off of Jayski and apparently NASCAR talked about bump drafting at the drivers meeting.  Guess it didn't sink in with most of the guys.   Sad

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 04:48:17 PM »

Did you read where Rusty said that Nascar should have been much more emphatic about it at the drivers meeting? He obviously is not a fan of bump drafting either.
 As to these being the best drivers in the world, I think some of them are not nearly as good as they think they are. Some of the others are probably world class drivers. JMO as Vivian would say. Cheesy
Dick (I'm gonna get another lil' blue helmet someday)

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:48:28 PM »

cheryl good view about bump drafting,also dw made a very good point about this early on sunday saying maybe bump drafting should be banned for safety's sake.what do you think?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 05:29:34 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl good view about bump drafting,also dw made a very good point about this early on sunday saying maybe bump drafting should be banned for safety's sake.what do you think?

I agree 100%.  It's like Rusty said the younger drivers seem to think that's the way to race.  I don't agree at all.  It's just a recipe for disaster.

Hey!  I just thought up a good name for the guys who can't seem to race without bump drafting:  Bumper Babies.    :lol:   I'm copyrighting that term right here and now.   :wink:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:24:05 PM »

Why doesn't NASCAR start by fining the "bumper babies" and taking away points?  Seems to be a bigger potential problem than, say, middle finger gestures.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:34:36 PM »

How can one like the bump and run, which I do, but not the bump drafting if it is done correctly?  I like seeing one car push another one past a competitor but if it is not done correctly, then it is one dangerous thing which I don't like.  Too many people get hurt that way.  I did notice Sunday that Mikey pushed Tony and they were moving up like crazy but then Tony cut down the track and left Mikey out to dry and fall back.  So, no matter who you are, if you don't stick with your draft bump partner til you get the job done, then that creates bad feelings and danger.  But then at the end, Mikey pushed him again but together they could not build up enough steam to pass Jeff.  I think it did not work too well on the bottom line but did on the top.  So, is it a bad thing?  Yes and no.  To me part of racing is the manuvering so you will be in a position for a pass to win the race.  All the bumping and banging is part of racing, imo.  At high speeds, it is dangerous at times, but it does tend to make the race more exciting as long as it is not done in the corners.  It also makes one wonder if it is payback when it is done wrong so in that case, it is not a good thing at all.  It is impossible to justify each and every incident when it is done wrong so maybe it should be banned.  Who knows?  Damned if they do and damned if they don't.  

This is one thread we can all agree to disagree on if need be.   :wink:
Richie
Sophmore

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 09:51:18 PM »

Check out this story about Bump Drafting

It's time for NASCAR to clean up act
http://www.freep.com/sports/autoracing/autos3e_20050503.htm

Kind of sums it up I think

Richie
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »

Yesterday at Lowe's Motor Speedway testing: Dale Earnhardt Jr. called Jimmie Johnson "an idiot" and accused him of starting the crash.

Interesting that this comes out at testing three days later instead of during the live Fox broadcast.  Has Dale Jr. been spooked by his obscenity the last time he was at Talladega?

And, yes, I think Johnson was bump drafting.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »

desmond dale jr was dead wrong look at the replay jimmy was not bump drafting he was and he cause that wreck.i think people need to kissing jr's rear end and start understanding his bump drafting tactics are causing a lot wrecks that's why that pratice should be outlawed.
sally
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 05:56:35 PM »

Anyone watch the in car replay from Jeff Butron?  I think it took several things happening from several drivers at the same time to make it happen.  Yes, Jr. got Wallace's car loose.  Then the 48 came up ang got his front bumper, finally turning him.  After rubbing fenders with the 20.  Eliminate any one of those and the big wreck probably doesn't happen.  At that moment.

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 06:46:32 PM »

Okay, guys and gals!  I specifically stayed away from mentioning names of drivers here to avoid this type of "he did this" and "no, so and so did it" thing.  But obviously everyone is starting to bring drivers' names into it, so that trend will stop right here.  Trust me, I have my own opinion on what happened and though it was very hard to leave names out of it, I did.  

So, please stop defending your drivers' actions, because it only prompts others to defend their drivers' actions.

It stops right here or this thread will be deleted in it's entirety.  I had some points I thought were valid and thought we could have a discussion without pointing fingers at certain drivers.  But if the rest of you cannot stay away from driver bashing, I will have to delete the entire thread... :evil:

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 07:05:28 PM »

cheryl i'm sorry you are upset about my comment, but this has nothing to do with bashing any driver in particular.my comments are about banning the pratice of bump drafting and i'm sorry if you feel otherwise.i'll understand if you delete this thread, but issue has to be discussed.it's impossible not to find fault with a certain driver.i just feel very strongly about this issue it's a matter of driver safety and fan safety.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl i'm sorry you are upset about my comment, but this has nothing to do with bashing any driver in particular.my comments are about banning the pratice of bump drafting and i'm sorry if you feel otherwise.i'll understand if you delete this thread, but issue has to be discussed.it's impossible not to find fault with a certain driver.i just feel very strongly about this issue it's a matter of driver safety and fan safety.

Ron,
It's not just your comment, but the ones before my last post.  I think people CAN discuss bump drafting in general without finding fault with particular drivers.  Whenever you start bringing drivers into a discussion, things are going to get heated between  fans of each driver involved.  

Each of us saw the in-car shots and replays and each of us probably had different interpretations depending on our individual driver preferences.   Nothing good can come of bringing specific drivers into the discussion.  The thread can continue if everyone sticks with the safety and other issues in general because of bump drafting NOT who they feel caused the wreck.  

Also, I don't care if some were quoting what drivers said about other drivers, to me (as moderator), repeating that constitutes driver bashing.  And, as expected, the fans of those bashed started bashing back and it quickly went downhill from there.  

I know it is VERY hard to keep your personal driver alliegences out of discussions, but as I said in the site rules, there are plenty of other sites where you can go and have those type discussions.  I'd like this site to not go down that road.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 09:12:01 PM »

Cheryl, sorry if what I said was out of line.  It was just an observation but I did use names as an example to express my feelings about the bump drafting and will try to refrain from doing that in the future.

Sometimes I lurk at other boards but usually don't stay around long reading them because of the name calling, blame placing and how the members get irritated with each other when their driver gets bashed.  I try to do all my cussing and name calling at the time I am watching at home.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 09:45:41 PM »

you're right cheryl i let my feelings get the best of me.i don't go to auto racing at yahoo preciesely because of driver bashing.i just feel very strongly about bump drafting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: