May 24, 2018, 12:32:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix Race  (Read 754 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 25, 2005, 03:22:36 PM »

Lou and I were in North Carolina this weekend for the Hooters Cup race at Concord Motorsports Park.  Their race was the same time as the Winston Cup race.  When we got back to the trailer after our race was over, I watched the end of the last week's Hooters Cup race on TV.  Was just going to catch the highlights of the Phoenix race on Victory Lane afterwards, but it wasn't on as scheduled at 11 p.m.  It just wasn't worth rewiring the TV from satellite to antenna to get Fox to watch a Phoenix race for me.

I ended up turning on XM and catching the last 69 laps MRN.  Wouldn't even had done that but Lou was writing an article about our race on the computer, so I couldn't go to bed.  MRN certainly made those last few laps sound very exciting.

Found out last night that the Cup race was rain delayed and that's why it went till midnight.  Good grief!  I'm sorry, but I'm disliking these late night races more and more.  Of course in his interview on MRN, Earnhardt said they ought to run all Sat night races, so NASCAR will probably do that.   :wink:

It was cool for Brian Vickers to lead for a while and get a good finish.  We follow him cause he came from the Hooters Cup Series.  Michael Waltrip seemed to make a valiant effort to win and that sounded pretty neat on MRN.  They made it sound exciting without gushing over Mikey like I'm sure DW did on TV.  I'm glad NOT to have had to listen to THAT.  You know he wanted to win on a non-restrictor plate track BAD.  I may not like his ho-are attitude lately, but I know he's a good enough driver to win on non-restrictorp plate tracks.

I saw some highlights of the race on Speed News last night.  On radio, it was obvious a lot of guys had mechanical problems or got collected in wrecks.  Didn't even hear JJ or Biffle's name at all on MRN during the portion I listened to and that was refreshing.  Bet TV had to go on and on that this was the first time JJ failed to finish in the top ten in a zillion races.   :roll:

Busch was extremely complimentary on Michael's drive on MRN.  That was very classy and he sounded sincere.  Michael also was very humble in his post-race interview.  Don't know what he said on TV, but he said something about how he got "stupid" at the end when he hit the wall a couple times.  I'll be curious to see if he is that humble on IWCR tonight.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »

In addition to the rain delay, the race was red-flagged for seven minutes when the scoring system lost power under a caution, leading to the failure of the scoring loops.

In fact, let's stop calling this place the "Valley of the Sun," at least on NASCAR weekends.  Here's the last three Phoenix dates:

--April 2005: Start of Cup race delayed about 30 minutes.
--November 2004: Cup race red-flagged due to rain.
--November 2003: Busch race shortened 19 laps due to rain.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »

Did anybody see that show that was done on the stage after the race which speed did they shortened it to 30 minutes because for the fans safety i wonder if there was lightning in the area i'll bet there was i know it started raining shortly after the race was over.

I'm guessing they had 20 to 30 mph winds at least.

I heard them say the winds were so bad they had to take the thing off the top of their stage i think those guys and their electrical equipment got drowned cause i noticed towards the end of the show when the rains really came down it sounded like they were having audio trouble.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:20:44 PM »

There was some good racing right after cautions but once someone took the lead, it was pretty much over.  Kurt ran a really good race as did Michael and Brian.  I also think a couple of others ran pretty good.  I did see frustration several times by the way JJ was racing.  He was not too good and it reflected in the way he was driving - IMO.  The in pack racing that they chose to show us seemed to be competitive and that was great as I do like the competition.  Can't really say it was a great race but don't think it was really a bad race even though it was a runaway.  As far as the winner goes, he was very gracious and made great remarks about Mikey so, IMO, he is being a good Champion for the series.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:33:20 PM »

Smiley  Smiley good racing but kurt busch was extremely dominant and nobody was going to beat him.also i didn't know the race was redflagged during the power outrage or was it?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »

Ron, the race was red-flagged.  See the post above.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »

thanks desmond they{meaning fox} didn't mention on the broadcast st and i checked my tape of the broadcast just to be sure.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
thanks desmond they{meaning fox} didn't mention on the broadcast st and i checked my tape of the broadcast just to be sure.

If Fox didn't mention a red flag on TV, someone needs to mention this under the "rate the broadcast" thread for Phoenix.  This is the kind of thing that needs to be pointed out to the networks.  Since I didn't watch the race, I don't feel comfortable mentioning it.

Thanks!
Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 12:29:38 AM »

cheryl i was wrong mike joy mention it right before a restart and i missed it.also chris meyer mislead me by mentioning a caution period instead of the red flag.next time i'll mention it under tv talk.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl i was wrong mike joy mention it right before a restart and i missed it.also chris meyer mislead me by mentioning a caution period instead of the red flag.next time i'll mention it under tv talk.

No problem, Ron!  I don't think (even after five years), Meyers really knows the difference between a red flag and a yellow flag.  

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »

Meyers needs to stick to what he does best like reporting the stick and ball sports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: