November 23, 2017, 04:10:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice in the Wilderness  (Read 992 times)
sally
« on: April 28, 2005, 12:00:02 PM »

Finally, a new voice about the 'quality' of TV coverage.  See?  The fans aren't all just stupid!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqZ2Y4MzhzBF9TAzk1ODYyNzYwBHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=jb-tvtimeout042605&prov=yhoo&type=lgnshttp://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqZ2Y4MzhzBF9TAzk1ODYyNzYwBHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=jb-tvtimeout042605&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 12:52:09 PM »

I've read a lot of Bonkowski's stuff in the past (he also writes for ESPN).  I like about half of it.  I just find it interesting that it takes some of the "legitimate" media 5 years to finally figure out what the fans have been raving about all this time.  Also this statement really bothers me:

"Yahoo! readers also have complained about the frequent cutaways from who is leading the race. Instead of watching the battle for the top three or four spots, we were continually inundated Saturday with the battle for ninth- or 10th-place or worse.

Really, who cares who's battling whom for ninth or 10th?"

This attitude is the real problem.  I'm sorry, but how about the fans of those drivers?  Or viewers like me who like to see any battle on the track, not just for the lead?

I just get increasingly annoyed by TV and print media guys and their attitudes.  It's no wonder Fox and NBC both show the leader running alone the entire last lap of the race.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »

I agree more with Cheryl than with Jerry.  To its credit, Fox is following more of the action in the middle or the back of the pack this year.

As for showing the leader alone on the last lap, I would do exactly the same thing in almost all cases.  It's like documenting history.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 08:31:35 PM »

Thanks for the link.  Interesting article but I am not sure he gets the real point.  About who is running  in 9th or 10th, what a pompous remark!  I guarantee you there are fans out there who care.  And yes, we complain about them cutting away from the lead is there is a fight for the lead, but he missed that we also complain about them showing only the leader running away from the pack and just showing lap after lap of that.  Also, what about all the in car camera shots?  We see way too many of them.  I am glad someone in the media decided not to be pc and toot Nascar's new image and ways, and try to say he understands the fans more now but maybe it is a little too late.  Plus, I am not really sure he does understand the fans.
sally
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:10:07 PM »

I can't argue with what any of you say.  I guess I was just impressed that someone who can't be branded a stick-in-the-mud 'old" fan actually agrees that the broadcasts suck.  I'm so used to being told how wonderful it is, and ads are a necessary evil, and we should just shut up and be grateful...

Maybe I have the Sally Fields Syndrome (you LIKE me, but changed to "you BELIEVE me)?

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 01:04:02 PM »

Here's an article I ran across on Jayski by Steve Byrnes.  In the next to last paragraph Steve comments on Bonkowski's article that Sally posted on here a couple of weeks ago.  I do believe the pit reporters on Fox don't show any bias, but I don't think Steve really listens to DW when he's talking about his brother or his brother's teammate:

http://ryansracecar.com/inside/default.asp

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »

Maybe Steve does not care and although sometimes the announcers may not come right out and say so, it is very obvious who they want to win.  You can tell by their voices and inflections.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »

Especially DW... :evil:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: